New Mount Clemens Sub Signals

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

New Mount Clemens Sub Signals

Unread post by blueheron13 »

Inspired by the news (posted by Robertrains and others) that the Mount Clemens Sub is now CTC between Nolan and Beck, I decided to wander over there with my old, crappy point-and-shoot camera to see what the signals looked like.

CP Beck is located north of the Utica Rd grade crossing. With this new control point coming into existence, maybe the "Fraser" station will be removed from the timetable?
Image101_0273 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr

Anyway, I found the begin/end CTC signs that have been described. Here is what NB trains see:
Image101_0271 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr

...and here is what SB trains see:
Image101_0266 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr

At CP Beck, this is the signal for NB trains:
Image101_0269 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr

and this is for SB trains:
Image101_0272 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr

Shortly before taking the above photo, SB L533 snuck up behind me. You can't see it in the first picture, but the signal indication was flashing yellow over red:
Image101_0267 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr
Image101_0268 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr

There is an intermediate signal just north of Frazho Rd, which is about half a mile south of I-696. Here are the signals there for NB and SB trains, respectively:
Image101_0276 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr
Image101_0275 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr

At CP Nolan (at 8 Mile Rd), I found a driveway off of Hoover Rd where the SB signals can all be seen:
Image101_0294 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr
On the left is the signal for the mainline; in the middle is the dwarf signal for what ATCS calls the "Old Westward"; on the right is the signal for what ATCS calls the "Turkey Trail" (are there turkeys back there?).

To my eye these signals are much less interesting when photographed looking north from 8 Mile Rd:
Image101_0291 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr

Looking at the Nolan signals for NB trains south of 8 Mile Rd, there are signs there, maybe like the ones at CP Beck, but I forgot to cross the street and check them out, and my crappy camera can't zoom in that far to read them:
Image101_0290 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr

Here are those same signals photographed looking north from E Outer Dr. I assume the vehicle in the picture did not get that dent from a train:
Image101_0280 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr

There is an intermediate signal located between 7 Mile Rd and E Outer Dr. It is turned on for NB trains approaching Nolan, but not for SB trains heading toward Forest Lawn and Milwaukee Junction. Anyone know what the "D" plate means?
Image101_0283 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr
Image101_0279 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr

I did not try to see what kind of signals are in place at Forest Lawn. In fact, I don't even know if there is a good place to photograph Forest Lawn.

At the south end of the subdivision at Milwaukee Junction, I had, earlier in the week and without realizing it at the time, taken a photo of dwarfs in bags where there is a crossover between the two main tracks just northeast of the Sugar House Wye ("dwarfs in bags"--that happened in The Hobbit, I believe). Maybe this will be a new control point:
Image101_0263 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr

What I was really doing there was trying to get a picture of the DCON train and a train on the Sugar House Wye at the same time:
Image101_0256 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr

Late on Sunday (7/30), I wandered up to Port Huron and noticed some of the new signals going up at the north end of the Mount Clemens Sub as well. Here are new (and old) signals at Range Rd (with a sign yet to be unveiled):
Image101_0297 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr
Image101_0298 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr

...and at Tappan, where I was pleased to find an actual train leaving the Port Huron Yard and heading south toward Detroit:
Image101_0312 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr
Image101_0315 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr
Image101_0319 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr
Image101_0322 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.