CN Trout Lake

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
CN_Okemos
Railroadfan...fan

CN Trout Lake

Unread post by CN_Okemos »

I went up to Whitefish Point yesterday and on the way back managed to catch an eastbound CN in Trout Lake with CN 8858, and 2228 as a DPU mid train. I only make it to the area once per year so I was pleasantly surprised to catch this around 4:30 as it was headed for Sault Saint Marie. The yard/sidings really had several mixed cars, no power though. Unsure if the train I saw originated in Escanaba or elsewhere. How many daily trains are there now on that line?
Greg

Railfanning the nearly dead CSX Plymouth Sub and slightly more active CN Flint Sub.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Re: CN Trout Lake

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

CN_Okemos wrote:I went up to Whitefish Point yesterday and on the way back managed to catch an eastbound CN in Trout Lake with CN 8858, and 2228 as a DPU mid train. I only make it to the area once per year so I was pleasantly surprised to catch this around 4:30 as it was headed for Sault Saint Marie. The yard/sidings really had several mixed cars, no power though. Unsure if the train I saw originated in Escanaba or elsewhere. How many daily trains are there now on that line?
Last I heard, there was the one you saw, plus the westbound counterpart later in the evening, plus a local that runs out of Gladstone to Kinross and back. So about 4 movements a day.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

You saw the eastbound from Gladstone to SSM. There's a return run at night, as mentioned.

Locals based out of Trout Lake work to Munising, as well as westbound, but I'm not certain just how far (I think all the way to Gladstone). Chances are, the westbound had left within an hour of your arrival, meeting the eastbound at Gilchrist, or, was waiting at the west end of the yard to depart.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I think there is a local based at Newberry that works to Munising one day, back to Newberry the next then a Trout Lake Turn on the 3rd day. Or something like that.
Saturnalia wrote:Locals based out of Trout Lake work to Munising, as well as westbound, but I'm not certain just how far (I think all the way to Gladstone). Chances are, the westbound had left within an hour of your arrival, meeting the eastbound at Gilchrist, or, was waiting at the west end of the yard to depart.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

AARR wrote:I think there is a local based at Newberry that works to Munising one day, back to Newberry the next then a Trout Lake Turn on the 3rd day. Or something like that.
Saturnalia wrote:Locals based out of Trout Lake work to Munising, as well as westbound, but I'm not certain just how far (I think all the way to Gladstone). Chances are, the westbound had left within an hour of your arrival, meeting the eastbound at Gilchrist, or, was waiting at the west end of the yard to depart.
I think you're right on that. Always forget Newberry.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CN_Okemos
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CN_Okemos »

Good to know, I appreciate all the info
Greg

Railfanning the nearly dead CSX Plymouth Sub and slightly more active CN Flint Sub.