Great Lakes Central Middleton Line

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Great Lakes Central Middleton Line

Unread post by Todd_F »

I was lucky enough to catch GLC travel on the rarely photographed Middleton Line on 6/1/17. Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/A2CJ3XpL8eU
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Great Lakes Central Middleton Line

Unread post by AARR »

Todd, thanks for posting. It looked like they switched the fertilizer terminal on the north side of the main line. However, I've heard that a feed dealer has moved in the old elevator on the south side and may also get serviced although I didn't see any cars there in your video.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

Google Earth has hoppers at both locations. The tracks go all the way to Carson City. There.s an old elevator there. On Google Earth, and on the TerraServer April 2017 image it looks like there is something on the siding in Carson City. Any thoughts?
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

There hasn't been any freight service west of Middleton since around 1987. Some speeders have used the Middleton-Carson City segment. The elevator in Carson City hasn't been used in a few years and may have been torn down by now. There might be an old steam engine in Carson City but I can't confirm it.
Jim_c wrote:Google Earth has hoppers at both locations. The tracks go all the way to Carson City. There.s an old elevator there. On Google Earth, and on the TerraServer April 2017 image it looks like there is something on the siding in Carson City. Any thoughts?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railroader and son
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroader and son »

The elevator in Carson City is in the slow process of being torn down,and a legal battle between the city and owner. The rails from Carson to I believe Smith Rd just west of Middleton are owned by the same owner of the elevator. A speeder group run's the line,and maintains t for that. A old GE center cab switcher is in Carson City under a lean-to,hasn't moved or run in decades. The CSX hoppers are fertilizer for MAC in Middleton.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Thanks all for the valuable information, and of course, watching the video!

It's nice to see them running this line and I hope to catch them again - between Ashley and US 27 where it's really rough.

It's good to know that is a fertilizer plant. Hopefully they'll get a grain contract from that elevator soon as well.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The elevator to the east is operated by MAC and ships a lot of grain including 90 car unit trains.

The elevator across the tracks from the fertilizer terminal (where you saw the cars spotted) is the feed dealer and may be getting some rail service.
Todd_F wrote:It's good to know that is a fertilizer plant. Hopefully they'll get a grain contract from that elevator soon as well.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

AARR wrote:The elevator to the east is operated by MAC and ships a lot of grain including 90 car unit trains.

The elevator across the tracks from the fertilizer terminal (where you saw the cars spotted) is the feed dealer and may be getting some rail service.
Todd_F wrote:It's good to know that is a fertilizer plant. Hopefully they'll get a grain contract from that elevator soon as well.
Wow! How long does a 90 car train tie up US 27?? 15-20 minutes? That would be pretty terrific to see snake through the curves in Ashley too. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The track from Ashley to Middleton is "Excepted"(did I say that right railroad guys?) track which means trains are limited to 10mph. A 90 car unit train is 5,400' long or a little over a mile. So it would take about 6-7 minutes for it to cross US 27.
Todd_F wrote:
AARR wrote:The elevator to the east is operated by MAC and ships a lot of grain including 90 car unit trains.

Wow! How long does a 90 car train tie up US 27?? 15-20 minutes? That would be pretty terrific to see snake through the curves in Ashley too. :)

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

In 20 years of going up north and back on US 127, I have never seen a train on that crossing. I did however, look west one time, and saw a train on the ground several years ago, about 1/2 mile west of the crossing.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

hoborich wrote:In 20 years of going up north and back on US 127, I have never seen a train on that crossing. I did however, look west one time, and saw a train on the ground several years ago, about 1/2 mile west of the crossing.
Last month I came up in a long train there, didn't count but I sat 6 minutes for it to cross.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.