Durand 3-24-17

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Durand 3-24-17

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Since it was going to be a warm (let me emphasize WARM) day, I went out to Durand Union Station at about 9:15am to spend most of the day there. It didn't take long for my first train, Q149 (Montreal, QC to Chicago) to come through:

After that was a break in traffic, but an eastbound showed up on the ATCS Monitor in the window once Q149 was out by Lansing. Q149 came to stop out by Millet, IIRC, and the first eastbound eventually went through and made it's way to Durand. It was sometime not long before it showed up at 11:52am:

In the meantime, while it was going through Durand, two more eastbounds showed up on the monitor, with one being 502, going into Cory Yard, where it remained for a while, and another freight who went straight through and eventually came through Durand at 12:58pm:

At 1:43pm, IIRC, the HESR 701 came into town with somewhere between 40 and 50 cars. While it was putting it's northbound train together (702), two more trains came into the picture: GLC's southbound Osmer Turn, and 502, who had finally left Cory Yard. 502 came across the diamonds with 21 cars for the yard at 2:32pm, and shortly after, while 502 waited on the east side of town, GLC came south passed the station to Pitt to continue onward on it's own tracks. Here's a combined video of the HESR and GLC trains:

502 went into the yard now that the GLC was out of the picture, and proceeded to drop off the cars, and pick up 17 cars as well. After coming out of the yard and going back to the other 50 cars of his train, HESR 702 backed out of the yard to head north with a shorter train than 701, and 451 appeared to the south. Here's 451 at 3:45pm:

After 451, 502 pretty much immediately got green signals to continue it's trip towards Pontiac and eventually Toledo:

After that was a little break, with the last train of the day being an eastbound at 4:57pm. It stopped briefly at the west side of town at the Clara crossover just around the curves, before continuing east:

After that, no more trains showed up, although by the time I left sometime around 7pm, there was a westbound lined up at Lapeer. Overall, not a bad day rail fanning and got to enjoy the nice warm weather!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Durand 3-24-17

Unread post by Saturnalia »

That second one had some character, with the Canadian Cab, Cowl, Standard Cab EMD and then the cut of pulpwood 8)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I noticed the pulpwood too.

Also looks like the CMGN train came in a little earlier. And to catch GLC is double great! Nice seeing the Liquid Fertilizer tank cars.

Liked the pipe loads too.

As always nice videos atrain :)
Saturnalia wrote:That second one had some character, with the Canadian Cab, Cowl, Standard Cab EMD and then the cut of pulpwood 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

AARR wrote:I noticed the pulpwood too.

Also looks like the CMGN train came in a little earlier. And to catch GLC is double great! Nice seeing the Liquid Fertilizer tank cars.

Liked the pipe loads too.

As always nice videos atrain :)
Saturnalia wrote:That second one had some character, with the Canadian Cab, Cowl, Standard Cab EMD and then the cut of pulpwood 8)
Thanks! Yeah it definitely came in a little earlier than I was expected. Seems like it usually is a mid to late afternoon train, but was different yesterday. I also noticed those Agro Liquid tank cars, which I assume are coming from that fertilizer place in Ashley. It seemed like a good sized mixed freight, more than what I'm used to on GLC. Usually I either end up seeing a large grain train or a short mixed freight or the two combined. This one was a pretty good mix though, which was cool to see!