Durand Today 2-22-17

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Durand Today 2-22-17

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I spent a good chunk of the day at Durand (about 10am to 6:30pm), and got eight trains. The first showed up not long after I first go there:

Afterwards came the HESR, with 2661, 2668, and 2025 leading two box cars and a grain train into town. After they backed into the yard, an eastbound showed up with some nice power: CN 2010, 2414, and GTW OLS 5856 leading.

Eventually, GLC came into town with 397, 392, 390, 395, and 399 and a few covered hoppers, and picked up the grain train. They left town, and a couple of CN freights were then lined up to go across the diamonds. They two ended up meeting just east of town:

L502 was next up, shortly after the westbound auto rack came through. He went into the yard with 32 cars, and came out with 0. He left town, and met 451 at Holly. After a long wait, 451 came into town. I didn't get the whole train for 451 due to the size of the train and the battery starting to run low.

It was a good day in Durand, with the nice Spring-like temperatures! Train action, while not record breaking, was pretty good.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Durand Today 2-22-17

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting your video's, atrain. This way I can enjoy the trains of Durand without waiting an hour between trains :D . However, you didn't video the two best trains, GLC and HESR :cry: .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

AARR wrote:Thanks for posting your video's, atrain. This way I can enjoy the trains of Durand without waiting an hour between trains :D . However, you didn't video the two best trains, GLC and HESR :cry: .
I'll probably post the GLC and HESR videos here soon, I just got lazy after uploading the CN trains last night, lol.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

AARR wrote:Thanks for posting your video's, atrain. This way I can enjoy the trains of Durand without waiting an hour between trains :D . However, you didn't video the two best trains, GLC and HESR :cry: .
Here's the shortlines. I cut off most of the H&E because it was only 70+ covered hoppers. I'm pretty sure those hoppers are the same train the GLC picked up afterwards that afternoon too.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting, atrain. I think those grain cars are empty fertilizer cars. CSX delivers them to AnnPere where GLC brings them to Durand then HESR delivers them to the customer in Zilwaukee or Bay City. They used to go CSX-LSRC-HESR but changed recently.
atrainguy60 wrote:Here's the shortlines. I cut off most of the H&E because it was only 70+ covered hoppers. I'm pretty sure those hoppers are the same train the GLC picked up afterwards that afternoon too.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

AARR wrote:Thanks for posting, atrain. I think those grain cars are empty fertilizer cars. CSX delivers them to AnnPere where GLC brings them to Durand then HESR delivers them to the customer in Zilwaukee or Bay City. They used to go CSX-LSRC-HESR but changed recently.
atrainguy60 wrote:Here's the shortlines. I cut off most of the H&E because it was only 70+ covered hoppers. I'm pretty sure those hoppers are the same train the GLC picked up afterwards that afternoon too.
Interesting, I wonder what made them stop using the LSRC routing.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Lower price is usually the reason but poor service and relationships can also be a factor.

I just thought of something. If those are empty fertilizer cars I wonder why GLC has five units leading? They would only need two if the cars are empty. They only use five when they are taking a loaded grain train :? . Some people can look at the truck-springs and tell if the car is empty or loaded. Maybe someone can look at these and tell.
atrainguy60 wrote:
AARR wrote:Thanks for posting, atrain. I think those grain cars are empty fertilizer cars. CSX delivers them to AnnPere where GLC brings them to Durand then HESR delivers them to the customer in Zilwaukee or Bay City. They used to go CSX-LSRC-HESR but changed recently.
Interesting, I wonder what made them stop using the LSRC routing.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I have looked at many truck springs, and the difference between loads and empties is only about an inch.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing!
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.