489: LS&I C30-7s at Work

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

489: LS&I C30-7s at Work

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Ep. 489: Lake Superior & Ishpeming GE C30-7s at Work

Eagle Mills, Mich - 05 Nov 2016

GE C30-7s Nos. 3073 and 3074 have far outlived the vast majority of their brethren, continuing to haul iron ore for the legendary Lake Superior & Ishpeming Railroad in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

The LS&I has long been a road of ALCO and GE power, however in recent years the railroad has largely retired their older GEs in favor of modern AC44CWs leased from CEFX. While these units hold down most jobs on the railroad, there's still room for work for the four older GEs.

This pair of C30-7s, along with an equally aged pair of U30Cs are still familiar sights on this iron ore shorthauler, at least for now.

On this day, we capture the C30-7s working as the 7am Tilden Mine Job, hauling 61 ore jennies from the mine to Eagle Mills. The first scene is at Empire Junction, and the second spot is the M35 crossing at Eagle Mills West.

LS&I 7 Tilden
490:
Consist:
- LS&I 3073 [C30-7]
- LS&I 3074 [C30-7]
- 61 cars [Loaded Ore Jennies]
Location/Time:
- LS&I RR, Negaunee, MI, New Buffalo Rd xing, on 11-5-16 at 10:11 EDT
- Eagle Mills West/M35 xing, at 10:25

Thanks for watching! Don’t forget to share this video, like and subscribe to Thornapple River Rail Series!

Like TRRS on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/thornappleriverproductions

Videography Equipment:
-Primary: Sony FDR-AX53 4K Camcorder
-Secondary: Sony HDR-PJ790V HD Camcorder
-Edited with: Cyberlink PowerDirector 13

Copyright 2016 Thornapple River Rail Series
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: 489: LS&I C30-7s at Work

Unread post by AARR »

Nice video although I enjoy when you narrate too :) .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

AARR wrote:Nice video although I enjoy when you narrate too :) .
Half Dozen shorties coming up on the Union Pacific Overland Route, then a huge 7-part Narrated Series taking you on a tour from Omaha to Ogden. So you'll get plenty of narration through that! :lol:

Which reminds me...I should get back to finalizing that script! :wink:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Seems odd watching those short ore gennies with converted friction bearing trucks running into 2017 after being outlawed something like 20 years ago. But if you are in captive service you can run dang near anything you want. Wonder how many millions of miles are on those truck casting I would have to assume that the wheels have been replaced at least twice or more.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"