Kalamazoo, MI 11.3.16

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Kalamazoo, MI 11.3.16

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Amtrak 365 passes BO Tower.

ImageAmtrak 126 - BO Tower by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Grand Elk 302 returns to Kalamazoo from Elkhart.

ImageWAMX 2204 - BO Interlocking by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Grand Elk 105 comes out of Gearhart Yard to work around town.

ImageGDLK 105 - Harrison St, Kalamazoo by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageWAMX 4002 - Kalamazoo Ave by tcamp7837, on Flickr

CN 5291 rests during the day at Kilgore Yard until 921 comes on duty that evening.

ImageCN 5291 - Kilgore Yard by tcamp7837, on Flickr

The GTW Caboose 79054 was on the rear of the consist.

ImageGTW 79054 - Kilgore Yard by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Grand Elk 105 switches Cytec.

ImageGrand Elk switching Cytec by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageWAMX 4002 - Kalamazoo, MI by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Amtrak 353 passes BO Tower.

ImageAmtrak 353 - BO Tower by tcamp7837, on Flickr

105 returns to Gearhart after switching around town.

ImageWAMX 4002 - Kalamazoo, MI by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageGDLK 105 - around the wye by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageGDLK 105 - BO Tower by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Grand Elk 102 came around the wye from the south and entered Gearhart Yard. Where does 102 run to/from?

102 yarding their train at Gearhart.

ImageWisconsin & Southern 4109 - Gearhart Yard by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageWAMX 4209 - Gearhart Yard by tcamp7837, on Flickr

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Kalamazoo, MI 11.3.16

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks CRD. I enjoyed your pictures and report.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I really enjoyed this photo album of Kalamazoo operations. You picked some good photo locations - and must have been standing in the exact same places I was several times in the pre-and post-GDLK transition era. Great shots!

A few questions and comment based on these photos:
1. Was this THE day when the plywood went up on the BO Tower windows and the Conrail "BO" signs also went back up on the building? If so, kind of cool how your caught that transition throughout the day.

2. How many GATX rental units is Grand Elk operating at this time?

3. It looks like a good sized 105 job coming out of the yard....did you get a car count?

4. I got a photo of CN 5258 at Kilgore in the summer - are SD40-2s the regularly assigned power for the Kalamazoo job nowadays? Does the Kalamazoo job do anything other than work the Kzoo branch and go to Kilgore Jct. to exchange cars? Seems like big power for that work! The rebuilt CN SD40-2s look great though, as does the rebuilt and repainted GTW shoving platform #79054. I wonder where Battle Creek is hiding their GT stencils??

5. I see Cytec has been taken over or renamed and the classic water tower bares the proof. Did you have any trouble getting your photos of 4002 from their driveway? I encountered a very over zealous Barney Fife while shooting 105 working there about 7 years ago and ended up talking wih KPS for a while as a result (in the end all were understanding). I see they must have wyed 4002 at Kilgore for their northward run. The repainted Star Paper Building and lettering looks GREAT. That loaded lumber centerbeams lead me to believe....CN and GDLK interchange via the 105 job?

6. The 102 job - Was this a yard crew bringing in a second section of an Elkhart road train? I am only basing that guess on the large power - the GDLK 4209 looks like an SD45 minus the flared radiators with SD35 style roof vents....interesting. Does GDLK still use a pair of the WSOR SD40s plus the older Geep?

Your photos have motivated me to make the time to visit Kalamazoo sometime soon - I've detoured through there a few times over the past several months, but haven't really spent any length of time in daylight recently and clearly it's worth it!

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

1. This was a few days after BO was closed and Plywood went up. The Conrail sign was removed and then put back on, which I was surprised to see after it had already been removed.

2. Not familar with Grand Elk engine rentals.

3. No car count but at least 20-25 maybe more.

4. Not familiar with CN Kalamazoo operations other than whats posted here.

5. No encounters with security until after photos taken. As usual, security wanted to know why someone was taken pictures of the plant and of trains. Ended well and professionally no police involvement just an understanding of each other and why there are concerns of taking pictures of a chemical plant. Best thing to do is stay near the road on public property if taking pictures as these are taken from their property which gives them the right to ask why someone is standing in the driveway and taking pictures. Not familiar with CN/ Grand Elk interchange but would make sense at Kilgore.

6. I am wondering the same about 102. 302 returned from Elkhart earlier that day. 102 being an extra from Elkhart would make sense. Not familiar with Grand Elk engines.

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

GMTX 2204 is the only GMTX unit on lease to the GDLK at this time,