A Late Afternoon Visit to Durand 11-7-16

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

A Late Afternoon Visit to Durand 11-7-16

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

While out doing some other non train related stuff, I ended up at Durand sometime before 2:30pm and 3:00pm. It didn't take long for the first train, as ATCS indicated a northbound GLC was about to enter the Holly Sub. After a couple minutes the GLC appeared, and passed the depot with 398 and 393 leading a grain train. After that ATCS showed an eastbound, later revealed to be 502, and 451 were both lined up into Durand. 502 was the first to arrive, crossing the diamonds and backing into the yard with a short string of cars. 451 was next up, with a cool visitor in the form of Kansas City Southern, a rare visitor to these parts. ATCS showed an eastbound approaching Shaftsburg, apparently meeting 451 there. In the meantime, 502 left the yard with no cars, and went to the rest of it's train west of town. HESR 2661 came out of the yard and used the Port Huron and High Wyes to wye the engine. It was at this point my phone went dead, leaving me without a camera to record with. However, the action wasn't done. 502 remained west of town waiting for the eastbound mentioned earlier to pass. It didn't take long for the eastbound to arrive. CN 2025, CN ????, and CN 2424 were the leaders on this good sized manifest. Once it finished rolling by the depot, 502 eventually received green signals for it to head south down the Holly Sub with approximately 60 cars in tow. This wrapped up an interesting visit; I actually saw 5 trains in less than two hours, one more than I saw yesterday in over seven hours! Just goes to show how hit or miss Durand can be. Here's the compilation video of the GLC, 502, 451, and the HESR 2661:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: A Late Afternoon Visit to Durand 11-7-16

Unread post by AARR »

Durand is fun when there's trains :) .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Re: A Late Afternoon Visit to Durand 11-7-16

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

AARR wrote:Durand is fun when there's trains :) .
Yeah it is! Lately on most of my visits Durand has been pretty consistent with being busy and interesting in mid to late afternoon. I've been seeing 4 to 6 trains (HESR, 451, 502, sometimes 371, sometimes an eastbound, sometimes GLC) from 3pm to 6pm. Sunday was the first really REALLY dead day in a while for me, so I'm wondering if Sunday is just a slow day in general.