Battle Creek, MI: 11/4/16

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Battle Creek, MI: 11/4/16

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

So I decided to go to Battle Creek today. I've never really explored the rail scene in the area and I needed to get out of the house so I figured "why not".

First up was Amtrak 353, running about 20 minutes behind schedule. They were in and out in about 5 minutes.

Second was an NS local, I think B34 lead by 5339. I accidentally stumbled upon them when I drove by the yard on my way out of town.

This is where the drought began. After some brief excitement when BCFD came roaring up to the station with lights and sirens, the signal for the #1 track switched to medium clear. For reason or reasons unknown, the train didn't make it past the station, because it was holding position just outside the yard and then executed a reverse move back into. This train was led by a C44-9WL, a C40-8, and a SD70M-2, all CN. Only clearly visible power in the yard was a BNSF H2 C44-9W by itself. I stayed at the Emmett Street bridge until this particular train was parked on one of the yard tracks.

On my way out of town, I swung by Hinman Yard to find 5339 shut down and parked right next to the office and quite a few Amtrak vehicles. I never realized until today how much the Hinman yard office looks like its Gearhart counterpart.

That's all for today folks. I'm still working on the Amtrak photos..didn't quite turn out as well as I thought they did.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Tier4GEVO
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Battle Creek, MI: 11/4/16

Unread post by Tier4GEVO »

Looks like a good day. Some outstanding photos as well, the boost you gave them definitely were fitting for the fall weather.