Durand, MI Today

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Durand, MI Today

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I went out to Durand today for the latter part of the afternoon and early evening. 6 trains came through during that time. The first turned out to be 451, with two CN engines and GTW 5936 leading, and a good sized train. Here's my professionally taken cellphone picture of the 5936:

Not long after 451, HESR 702 made it's presence known, sounding it's horn at the various crossings on the north side of town. 2661 and 2668 were leading today, with at least 22 cars. 15 tank cars, 6 covered hoppers, and 1 box car were visible from the station platform before it reversed into the yard.

Next one, I can't remember what time it came through, but I hear it was M371 westbound on the Flint Subdivision.

371 had to stop west of Durand at Bancroft because 502 was approaching. After a little wait, 502 came and detached from part of it's train as usual, and backed around the Port Huron Wye with a short string of cars, going into the yard for interchange. It came out with no cars, and backed to the rest of it's train. While it was preparing to head south down the Holly Subdivision, HESR 701, probably with the same power as earlier (I'm guessing) backed around the Port Huron Wye, and departed northbound. It had 1 covered hopper (from what I could tell), two gondolas, two tank cars, two covered hoppers, 6 tank cars, 1 covered hopper, and 6 tank cars. At least those were the cars that were visible from the depot platform, there may have been more. Anyways, it didn't take long for 502 to depart and head south around the Chicago Wye:

I thought those little Wisconsin Central ballast hoppers were pretty cool. I'm guessing some work has to be done in the Detroit or Toledo area? The next train to come through was a second 502, about 20 minutes behind the first. This one came through without stopping, and continued down the Holly Sub.

That ended a pretty good visit to Durand. The traffic was pretty steady throughout the time I was there, and the ATCS set up in the window really helps keep an eye on things!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Durand, MI Today

Unread post by AARR »

I like your report, atrain. Thanks for videoing the entire trains :D .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Re: Durand, MI Today

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

Thanks! I like to capture the whole train on video if it's a manifest, auto rack, or intermodal, that way I can go back and count the cars later and I can keep record, I guess you could say, on those trains. Not so much with coal and grain trains. Sometimes I stop videoing after the engines, since they are the same cars and same length almost every time!