Great Lakes Central 6 July 2016 - Northern District.

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
KC
Railroadfan...fan

Great Lakes Central 6 July 2016 - Northern District.

Unread post by KC »

Followed the GLC from Kalkaska to Petoskey on Wednesday the 6th.
First shot is 385-397 with 6 loads for Petoskey Plastics passing the former PRR depot at Kalkaska.

After picking up 3 mty cars at the Magnum transload, they continued on north.
Here, at Mancelona, the 385 is passing mp 385.

I next set-up camp at the former crossing of the Boyne City, Gaylord and Alpena line over the GR&I main.
Located at mp 402, after waiting some time, along came this GLC track patrol inspecting the railroad.
Followed shortly after by the northbound train.

Leapfrogging ahead of the train to mp 416 gave me time to explore the former wye track row to Walloon Lake. Not sure when this was removed.

After the hi-rail passed again, the 385/397 came along pulling the grade.

Coming out of the woods, I took this shot at the south end of River Rd.

Finally arriving at Petoskey.

OWOSSO....we have a problem.
Seems parking is overflowing at the Salvation Army store next the team track, as two vehicles foul the siding.

Once the thrifty shoppers had relocated their autos, 385-397 were able to begin their task of switching the transload.

Back at the south end of the transload operation, the 397 now heads up the show as the crew pull mty's and begin to build their southbound train.

Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Re: Great Lakes Central 6 July 2016 - Northern District.

Unread post by James Sofonia »

KC wrote: Leapfrogging ahead of the train to mp 416 gave me time to explore the former wye track row to Walloon Lake. Not sure when this was removed.
Kelly
Nice job, good to see pictures from my back yard. I've been to all those locations except the Walloon Lake row. Must have been pulled a long time ago, so overgrown you can barely follow it on Google Earth.
Why would they pick up empties on the way North just to have to haul them back again?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting KC. I didn't know about the wye in Walloon Lake. Pixl, you have good eyes if you can see anything that's left of it 8) .
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

AARR wrote:Thanks for posting KC. I didn't know about the wye in Walloon Lake. Pixl, you have good eyes if you can see anything that's left of it 8) .
AARR,

I traced out my best guess of the wye and route to Walloon Lake. Compare this with your own Google Earth, zoom in and you will see it.

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

Pixl wrote:Why would they pick up empties on the way North just to have to haul them back again?
I guess only god and the train crew know for sure, but here's three reasons that may of affected their judgement:

1) cars were on north end of siding, easy move, in and out.
2) they were running with a track patrol ahead of them so they had time going northbound, waiting for hi-rail to clear up sections of track.
3) maybe Magnum needed to access the loads still on the siding and gave GLC a time window before they blue flagged the siding.

I also stopped and talked to the Buzzi people about cement,
was told that they didn't expect rail shipments to happen before NEXT summer. :(
They said they had expected a dozen or so cars to be loaded out of Alpena as a test, but the railcars were not available.....!

Kelly

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The place in Grandville is receiving steady shipments. Maybe they truck from Grandville to Elmira :?
KC wrote:I also stopped and talked to the Buzzi people about cement,
was told that they didn't expect rail shipments to happen before NEXT summer. :(
They said they had expected a dozen or so cars to be loaded out of Alpena as a test, but the railcars were not available.....!

Kelly
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Thanks for posting KC! Good to see the GLC on the north end, especially 385 in the lead. I don't get to see them any more since I moved to the UP. Nice shots and commentary.

Kyle
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Question: When they only have a few cars, do they leave one engine shut down? In one of the pics, there seems to be exhaust coming from the front unit only.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

hoborich wrote:Question: When they only have a few cars, do they leave one engine shut down? In one of the pics, there seems to be exhaust coming from the front unit only.
Seen the same thing on the segment on the DVD,Shortlines of Indiana & Michigan where they were following the Indiana Northeastern. When the train is short,only the lead unit is on but when the train is heavy enough,theyll turn the other unit on. In this case they bought two units along even for a short train as:
1.They may or not may have a heavier train coming South.
2. So they dont have to run LHF South or turn the locomotive.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Yup, just run with the second unit shut down or isolated for fuel conservation, then fire it up when you're going to head south and shut down the north facing engine.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/