LS&I and other U.P. trains: The pictures

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

LS&I and other U.P. trains: The pictures

Unread post by Ypsi »

Since it will be a month before my video of our U.P. Trip will be up I figured I would start with posting some of our photos from the Yoop. We decided to take a long weekend up to Marquette and Escanaba to film trains in a place I have personally always wanted to see some action at. My original fears of not having enough action to keep us busy or missing out on trains never came true and we had a great couple days in Marquette and a some good luck down south too.

WARNING: Drone Overkill to follow (oh well, it allows for neat and better views :lol: )

Our trip started Wednesday right after work, when we got on the road and headed straight for the bridge. Sean and I drove a couple of hours at a time, switching off every once in a while. After an actually (mostly) relaxing drive, we arrived in Marquette around 11:00pm (after the sun finally fully set at 10:30 or so) and settled into our hotel before a busy day on Thursday.

Thursday started off early, we got up at 6:00am and were able to watch the sunrise over lake Superior. After gathering our gear we headed to the docks to see if the 7AM dock job would be on duty soon. After no luck we headed back to the hotel for breakfast at 7AM (they were not serving breakfast at 6AM when we were up). Filled up and happier, we headed back to the dock, and waited a short time before finally seeing some ore cars coming up the hill. I launched my drone, and started filming the operation. As they moved back and forth I was able to grab a still in between videos.

ImageLS&I Morning Dock Job by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

After catching the Morning dock job we headed down to Empire Junction where we were told the action would be plentiful. We were not disappointed, as we pulled up a set of CN units pulled from their leg of the wye, and stopped short of the signal. We wondered why, and as we waited an LS&I move headed north past our location powered by a pair of AC4400's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/71142029@ ... ateposted/

After the LS&I cleared, the CN wasted little time heading towards the mine. Shortly after we heard another horn approaching, this time it was a pair of Green U30C's, but they would clear up on the wye heading for CN, before another LS&I Ore train powered by AC4400's. The U30C's soon took their turn, and headed down for the mines as well

https://www.flickr.com/photos/71142029@ ... otostream/

We then headed back for town via Eagle Mills, and somehow were able to beat the LS&I ore train to the crossing on M35, where we filmed them heading for the yard. We arrived back at the hotel and rested between 2-3pm, and then headed back out to the docks to try and see the afternoon dock job. They did some more work, including going deeper on the dock than the morning dock job while the ship Buffalo is loaded below.

ImageLS&I Afternoon Dock Job by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

ImageDeep on the Dock by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

At about 4:30 the dock job wrapped up, and we headed into town to walk around and get some dinner. We received word that the boat would be leaving around 8:00pm so we would head back to the beach to watch that later in the evening.

After dinner and walking around we were back on the beach, watching the Buffalo prepare for departure. Eventually an evening dock job also showed up, which made the evening better.

ImageLS&I Evening Dock Job by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

ImageMassive Operation by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

After the dock job finished we turned in for the day, and got rested up for another early wakeup on day 2 of U.P. Trains.

On our second day of LS&I, we headed straight for Eagle Mills Junction, where we caught two straight moves out of the cut powered by Green GE's. We then headed for Empire Junction where we caught a CN ore train heading for CN rails. After the CN another LS&I headed for their yard. We caught them and headed back up to M35 to intercept them. Thanks to some MOW workers clearing up, they stopped short of the yard and gave us extra time to set up a shot.

ImageLS&I Morning Hill Job by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

Right after the Blue AC4400's cleared, another ore train came into the yard with a pair of green C30-7's on point. That would end our LS&I adventure as we would head for Escanaba. After a long day of driving (and some car repairs) we got to shoot some of the old and stationary equipment. Included was a former Conrail GP38, F units stored at Wells, and even an LS&I RSD12 survivor.

ImageConrail.. Kinda by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

ImageF Units of the UP by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

ImageLS&I RSD12 Survivor by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

ImageLast Light Treasure by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

That ended our second day, on our third day we caught the two CN Locals meeting at Gladstone, including some interesting power. After those trains were in the yard we headed back for the bridge ending our UP adventure.

Thanks for watching and reading! I have made up a preview for the video, which should be out on July 30th :)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: LS&I and other U.P. trains: The pictures

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting, ypsi. I like your report and pictures!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

AARR wrote:Thanks for posting, ypsi. I like your report and pictures!
Ditto! :)
Owosso Steve

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Great report!
Are they saving those old units for any particular reason, or just waiting for the price of scrap to go up?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

hoborich wrote:Great report!
Are they saving those old units for any particular reason, or just waiting for the price of scrap to go up?
They have enough AC44CWs to cover most jobs. They keep the greenies as surge power and for switching. They usually keep to the mines and/or Eagle Mills.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow