Fostoria Ohio May 29th 2016

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Fostoria Ohio May 29th 2016

Unread post by CSXBOY »

On Saturday May 29th 2016. I went with my mom to Fostoria Ohio to do railfanning for about 2 hours and a half. Firstly, we were driving on interstate on saw a headlight in Plymouth kinda wish we could have saw that. As we got into the drive we got on interstate 75 in Monroe and saw crazy construction just north of Monroe. Then as we got into Luna Pier I saw a Southbound Canadian National Mixed Freight train which was going at a good speed at first but it slowed down as we got further south.

We entered the Ohio border and went by the Canadian Nationals massive Lang Yard and we even saw a Northbound CN departing to go to Detroit. Later we went by the Jeep Plant and saw a Ann Arbor Railroad Locomotive that was ORANGE! And we also saw another headlight on the CSX and then we got on interstate 280 and went over the Maumee river and saw a ship.

As we got into Fostoria at the US 23 grade crossing north of town. We saw a headlight So we quickly made a left onto a side road saw a CSX with BNSF power auto rack going at a very fast speed on the Pemberville sub. Then in Fostoria I saw a green light for a westbound. Meaning that the train was not too far away. So the reason came clear in about 5 minutes we saw the headlight and the train was a Westbound CSX Mixed freight with a rare SD70ACE only 20 of those are left on CSX.

As the morning went on 3 more CSX trains came through. First was a westbound CSX intermodal with two CSX engines with the new boxcar logo. Second was a Eastbound CSX intermodal with two CSX AC4400CWs with YN2 paint. Third was a Eastbound CSX intermodal train with a one YN2 AC4400CWs and one ES44AH with the boxcar logo

Then between 12:00 pm and 12:45 pm 5 more CSX trains came through First was H795 switching around the yard with a Solo Geep. Then came the Q150 North Baltimore Ohio to Detroit intermodal train with a ES40DC and a AC44CW in YN3. Next came around the bend a Eastbound CSX oil train with a ES44AH and another ES44AH both with the boxcar logo. Now if Q150 was longer I would have gotten a race. The 4th train was a Westbound intermodal with yet another AC4400CW leading ES44AH trailing second ES40DC trailing third and a ES44AH trailing 4th. The 5th train was a another Eastbound intermodal with a yet another CSX ES44AH leading 2 CSX ES40DCs trailing

Then at around 1:00 pm It was finally time for Norfolk Southern to get into the action. There was a meet between a grain train and a mixed freight. The Mixed freight had a Dash 9-40CW and a SD60E trailing. The Grain train with yet Dash 9-40CW leading with two Dash 9-40CW trailing. Then Came a another Westbound Norfolk Southern Mixed Freight train with a dash 9 leading, A Union Pacific SD70ACE trailing second and a NS SD40-2 trailing third.

Then my camera ran out of memory on my SD card So I couldn't film the next two trains. But I remember it was a CSX auto rack turning to go north and a weird type of train I could not see it but he pulled up to the Willard sub then pulled back into the C&O yard. Then I found another SD card So I was able to film the last three trains.

At 1:25 pm three was yet another meet but this time on the CSX they also did a horn battle. There was two trains I was going back and fourth on which side of the tracks to decide on which side to stand on. I was Extremely lucky I got to see both trains with the power. First was a Eastbound CSX oil train with BNSF power with a ES44AC leading and two CSX SD70s. Second was a Westbound CSX mixed freight train with 2 CSX AC4400CWs, 1 CSX ES44AH and 1 CSX C40-8W. I was gonna go, But I saw a Westbound on the Willard sub approaching. So I waited an extra 5 minutes. It was a Norfolk Southern powered oil train with a ES40DC trailing. But I wondered why is Norfolk Southern on CSX tracks? they dont have trackage rights.

So that was my latest trip to Fostoria and Sorry for the late report. Tomorrow morning I am going to Deshler to railfan for 2 or 3 hours. should be busy I hope

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Fostoria Ohio May 29th 2016

Unread post by hoborich »

Thanks for the report. Looks like you are pretty busy railfanning these days. Better thank your mom for hauling you around. :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

CSXBOY wrote:Later we went by the Jeep Plant and saw a Ann Arbor Railroad Locomotive that was ORANGE!
That'd of been WAMX 3879, the Ann Arbor Heritage Unit.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

NS power on CSX is quite common. Either run through train or power by the hour repayment. Same reason you see so many UPs and BNSFs
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"