Boat yard line Action in Detroit

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Boat yard line Action in Detroit

Unread post by Ypsi »

Welllllllllllll I'm back after a nearly 2 month 'break' and I have some videos to share. From January 30th (as ogauge47 posted earlier) NS BD07 and CSX Y194 both worked the boat yard line. After a quick text and drive down there I was able to catch both trains up and down the line making for a pair of nice videos. First up was BD07 coming off of the Delray connecting interchange track and then heading back for Oakwood yard.

Next was the big chase of the day, Y194 making its run up and down the line. This is a longer video that includes narration.

It was a fun day of chasing on a warm January afternoon, I have more stuff to post up and get "caught up" but in the mean time we will start with this.

Enjoy, and thanks for reading!
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Boat yard line Action in Detroit

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I watched your entire CSX Boat Yard Line video the other day. I enjoyed seeing the action that thus far hasn't see much attention. One constructive recommendation, as a fellow videographer, is to tighten up (shorten) sequences. I know it took me several years to realize why it is important, but when not much is happening or changing, shorten things up. If people get bored they will scroll ahead, or start wandering over to that right-hand column! I felt that tendency myself when watching this video, and I did skip ahead in some places.

You can be pretty effective with short clips when guys are throwing switches and making switching moves.

Otherwise, good stuff and looking forward to more, as always!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Saturnalia wrote:I watched your entire CSX Boat Yard Line video the other day. I enjoyed seeing the action that thus far hasn't see much attention. One constructive recommendation, as a fellow videographer, is to tighten up (shorten) sequences. I know it took me several years to realize why it is important, but when not much is happening or changing, shorten things up. If people get bored they will scroll ahead, or start wandering over to that right-hand column! I felt that tendency myself when watching this video, and I did skip ahead in some places.

You can be pretty effective with short clips when guys are throwing switches and making switching moves.

Otherwise, good stuff and looking forward to more, as always!
Thanks Saturn, I will keep this in mind for the next one. This one is a little rough in terms of length (however a good 6 minutes is devoted to the roll by at the end). One issue I had was that it took nearly 2 minutes to shoot the first scene when the Genset was making its pull off of Zug Island. With slow speeds I felt the same when editing and reviewing this one, however there were a couple clips that if I did not include may have not made as much sense. (I did consider just cutting out the reverse move back towards Zug, but in the end I kept it).

This will be my first "big video" of the year. My idea is to keep most things 2-4 minutes long with occasional 10 minute videos, and then have about 4-6 of these "huge videos" a year. My channel has been growing and I have been trying to make an effort to improve my quality as well as find out what people want as well.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for taking the time to post, Ypsi. I like both of them. Saturn makes good suggestions but whatever you post here is appreciated!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I enjoyed your videos. They are always improving. I have a question. In the one clip, the engineer is on the ground, running the loco from the belt pack. Where is the conductor, and why is the engineer on the ground alone?
I also noticed they had quite a long train coming off the boat yard line. I didn't realize there was that much business still left there.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Thanks AARR!
hoborich wrote:I enjoyed your videos. They are always improving. I have a question. In the one clip, the engineer is on the ground, running the loco from the belt pack. Where is the conductor, and why is the engineer on the ground alone?
I also noticed they had quite a long train coming off the boat yard line. I didn't realize there was that much business still left there.
At that point the engineer had run the locomotives by himself down to the crossover in order to be on the front of the train. The conductor was walking to the rear of the cars in order to ride a shove back east. It was a long walk, but by the time the engineer got his locomotives back to the cars they were ready to go.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CSX has a transload yard down there
hoborich wrote:I also noticed they had quite a long train coming off the boat yard line. I didn't realize there was that much business still left there.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Thanks for the explanation, both of you.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".