462: Michigan Shore v Car Accident - Pacing as it happens!

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

462: Michigan Shore v Car Accident - Pacing as it happens!

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Ep. 462: Train v Car Accident - As it Happened!

Nov 2, 2015 Muskegon, MI - On an unseasonably warm November morning, the Michigan Shore Railroad is preparing their outbound interchange freight to the CSX 30 miles south in Holland, MI

Skipping ahead to the Henry Street hill, where I was setup to test a new method of pacing trains, using the parallel but crappy road. I wasn't planning on using this footage, but what happened next changed my mind!

Following alongside the train, after being screwed over by a truck who thought he owned the road, we hear the emergency brakes pop - passing the next crossing (you can see under the train - I didn't see it at the time) that a car was hit on the other side.

What follows is the aftermath, before they resume their southbound run - but not after stalling out again on the hill with a heavy train rolling over freshly fallen leaves.

Michigan Shore Z627
Consist:
- MMRR 2019 [GP38]
- MMRR 2057 [GP38]
- 1 Box [From Bay Logistics]
- 6 CHs [From Nugent Sand]
Location/Time:
- MMRR RR, Muskegon, MI, North Yard, from 8:29 to 8:45 EST
- Henry Street Hill, Car Crash and Aftermath, from 9:03 to 10:12

Thanks for watching! Don’t forget to share this video, like and subscribe to Thornapple River Rail Series!

Like TRRS on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/thornappleriv...

Recorded with a Sony PJ790 Camcorder
Edited with Cyberlink PowerDirector 13

Copyright 2015 Thornapple River Rail Series
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: 462: Michigan Shore v Car Accident - Pacing as it happen

Unread post by AARR »

I couldn't see the accident but it's still exciting you were there when it happened.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Very cool Saturnalia! (if that is your real name :lol: ). I posted this very street on the Where Is It thread a few days ago and now your video makes me feel like I am driving down that street with a train no less. I can scratch that off my bucket list. Do you know if they left those code line poles as a bit of a buffer to show the railroad property line?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Michael wrote:Very cool Saturnalia! (if that is your real name :lol: ). I posted this very street on the Where Is It thread a few days ago and now your video makes me feel like I am driving down that street with a train no less. I can scratch that off my bucket list. Do you know if they left those code line poles as a bit of a buffer to show the railroad property line?
I saw your WAI post and saw the responses - but alas I'm not sure exactly why the posts remain. I do think it does serve the purpose of delineating the ROW, at least keeping parked cars far enough off the tracks.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

Saturnalia wrote:Ep. 462: Train v Car Accident - As it Happened!

Following alongside the train, after being screwed over by a truck who thought he owned the road, we hear the emergency brakes pop - passing the next crossing (you can see under the train - I didn't see it at the time) that a car was hit on the other side
The driver of this car obviously didn't see the train or flashing lights or the stop signs. Ken