Coal train nearly stalls out at East Saugatuck!

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
DutchBrad
Railroadfan...fan

Coal train nearly stalls out at East Saugatuck!

Unread post by DutchBrad »

I noticed last night that N910-26 went through Stevensville around 21:15, decided to chase the train from Wells to Hiawatha (West Olive). I left home around 22:00, Amtrak was just clearing mile post 28. I head south to the west end of East Saugatuck to check the lights, all red. I proceed south to the east end of Wells, still all red. On the south end of Wells I see a Yellow-Red-Red - medium approach I believe. Looked like the coal train was going to stop on the main at the East end of Wells to wait for the pushers. I position myself at the east end of Wells, off 122nd. I like sitting near 122nd and 57th. Quiet street, room to park off the side of the road, can see the eastbound signals. The coal train hit the detector at MP 44 - around 6900 feet, 528 axles. The train comes up slow, and stops around 800-1000 feet before 122nd. The lights go out in the engine, and the wait begins. That is around 22:30 hrs. I have a car without an external mount antenna, so my scanner reception is weak. Around 23:45 hours a CSX crew minivan shows up. I get a mention on the scanner! The lady driving the van calls out to the train to tell them a "man is sitting in a car where she normally parks". I smile, figured there is no reserve parking out here! I am not sure why that van is there, the crew has not talked about running out of hours, etc. The train tells the lady to lock her doors! That made me smile, but it is late and I can understand. Then the train crew tells the van to sit at the gas station in Fennville. The van leaves. Around 00:30 the helper engines show up. They go down the siding and hook to the rear of the train, around 1:00 the train is put together and starting to pull East.

I run to Fennville, see the van at the gas station, turn around on M89 to watch the train clear that crossing. The crew tells the van to go up to Hiawatha - which is at West Olive - Consumers Power. Not sure why the van was in Fennville when it was not needed? I left after the lead engines crossed, I was headed to the mid part of the East Saugatuck HIll. The crossing I have heard called "Hogs Crossing" - it is on 55th street north of 133rd Ave. I shoot up 58th street from M89 - doing 60 mph to try to get ahead of the train. I also am looking for deer, don't need to redesign the car! I run to 136th ave, turning east to 55th street. When I get near the crossing, I can see the train is already through there. i could not believe how quickly the train got there. I turn around quickly and head to 136th and the tracks. The train has not cleared this crossing yet, and looks to be nearly stationary. It is at the very west end of East Saugatuck, where the siding returns to the main, at the very top of the hill. The train does come past, but is doing at most 1-2 mph. The weather conditions are drizzle to light rain, not pleasant. I have a flashlight out, the wheels are not spinning, but the last wheelset on the 2nd engine looked funny. The wheelset seemed to be loaded up the "suspension" - the crew was talking to the pusher about how their amps are jumping, how they have never had so much trouble getting up the hill. The train slowly gained speed. By the time the pushers cleared the crossing at 136th, the train was doing 30-40 mph.

I jump back in the car and shoot back to 56th street north. I am running north around 60 mph, not getting ahead of the train. Apparently the pusher crew was also concerned about the speed, since they reminded the crew not to hit the Holland Depot faster than 30 mph. I decide to run to the west leg of the Wye near Waverly Yard. I took US31 around Holland, some lights are flashing, but the lights that are working were RED! Not happy! The train calls out the West leg of the Wye when I am taking the Lakewood exit off US31. I shoot up Lakewood to the Wesco station, the tracks come RIGHT BY that station. It was cool to feel the power and ground shake as the train goes by at low speed. I watch the lead engines and first few cars, then shoot north up Butternut to 136th Ave, north to Port Sheldon. I found a business parking lot to sit at, watched the train for the last time at that location. It was now 2:30. I was hoping to run up to the power plant (Hiawatha), but it was getting too late. So much fun to chase a train so far. I have not been into trains since the '90s when CP had trackage rights on CSX. WIth the limited traffic now, I need to check this site before spending a bunch of time not seeing anything! I love this site!

I am dragging some today, but what a great adventure!

DutchBrad
DutchBrad
Holland, MI, USA
Follow my adventures on YouTube! www.youtube.com/@bradstakeonlife
GO BLUE!

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Re: Coal train nearly stalls out at East Saugatuck!

Unread post by justin_gram »

Thanks for the awesome report!

When things are going normal, it usually takes about 60 minutes for a train to get from Porter, IN to me in St. Joseph/Stevensville. Then, it takes about 2 hours for a train to get to Holland from St. Joseph, and another 1/2 hour to get from Holland to Grand Rapids.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Yellow over red over red is just an approach. The middle head is for medium signals. Yes, you were parked in the PTI van's spot. You are lucky they didn't call the police, as some random car watching a train that late at night in the middle of no where is pretty odd. The helpers always have a PTI van called to follow the train from Wells to West Olive in case the train stalls so the van can assist.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

DutchBrad
Railroadfan...fan

SD80MAC wrote:Yes, you were parked in the PTI van's spot. You are lucky they didn't call the police, as some random car watching a train that late at night in the middle of no where is pretty odd. The helpers always have a PTI van called to follow the train from Wells to West Olive in case the train stalls so the van can assist.
Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea a PTI van was needed for this action. The driver of the van sounded pretty annoyed. I was surprised the train crew did not tell her I was a railfan, I was out of the car in the trains lights watching them come to a stop. I guess if it is that big of deal the area could have a sign. It is in the right of way of the road though. Directly west of the crossing is the parking area by the control box, she could have parked there if she wanted. I will not park there again. I have never had any issue with crews or law enforcement while watching trains. In Allegan County, the sheriff department is stretched so thin I doubt this would be any sort of priority call.

Cannot wait to chase my next one! Unfortunately I am too busy to do this all that much.

DB
DutchBrad
Holland, MI, USA
GO BLUE!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Some of the PTI drivers are wary of strangers. I once was the subject of conversation between PTI and a coal train at Hiawatha - PTI wanted to call Consumers Security (I was on the public road, so they really wouldn't have been able to say anything), but the train crew talked her out of it by saying that I had been out there filming their run into the plant and that I was just a railfan taking photos.

No big deal
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

DutchBrad
Railroadfan...fan

Saturnalia:

Love the Thornapple River Rail Series videos! Just watching more East Saugatuck hill action. That is my favorite place to railfan around here.

Keep up the GREAT work!

DB
DutchBrad
Holland, MI, USA
GO BLUE!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

DutchBrad wrote:Saturnalia:

Love the Thornapple River Rail Series videos! Just watching more East Saugatuck hill action. That is my favorite place to railfan around here.

Keep up the GREAT work!

DB
I've got some killer Saugatuck Stuff coming up in October's PMT. Gonna be the shortest edition to date, but it's all Saugatuck Coal Train action.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

as some random car watching a train that late at night in the middle of no where is pretty odd
You aren't very familiar with trainwatchers.
The helpers always have a PTI van called to follow the train from Wells to West Olive in case the train stalls so the van can assist.
Does the van have hi railer wheels? How does it help a stalled train?
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

hoborich wrote:
as some random car watching a train that late at night in the middle of no where is pretty odd
You aren't very familiar with trainwatchers.
The helpers always have a PTI van called to follow the train from Wells to West Olive in case the train stalls so the van can assist.
Does the van have hi railer wheels? How does it help a stalled train?
Hmm, I'd start out guessing maybe to drive the crew members vs. them walking everywhere.
Brett