Chasing the GTW Flat Rock Turn: 11/30/2015

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Chasing the GTW Flat Rock Turn: 11/30/2015

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I was up and out early this AM to pick up a friend off of the Capital Limited in Toledo. As we got back into Allen Park I noticed the Flat Rock Turn getting ready to leave Oakwood Junction and go south. I dropped my buddy off and gave chase. Here are some of the highlights.

Frost on the Railhead by James Byberg, on Flickr

A Rock Unit in the Land of Ford by James Byberg, on Flickr

Penford by James Byberg, on Flickr

South Bound at Kings Road by James Byberg, on Flickr

Side Profile by James Byberg, on Flickr

Home by James Byberg, on Flickr

Enjoy. :D

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: Chasing the GTW Flat Rock Turn: 11/30/2015

Unread post by Ypsi »

I enjoy the basically large amount of "stuff" that crowds those photos, the old arches, high tension lines, ect. It really give it neat look to me. Having the GT unit also was a neat touch, love that blue and orange. In the first frame was there room to work it out a little more and not crowd the arch you framed the train in? Just looking at it, it seems like if you could have had a little more room to the right and maybe top of that arch the train is under it would have improved the composition (not saying its bad just my taste). I would be through there was other stuff preventing such like more arches or just other general stuff.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I worked by Sibley Road for 4+ years and noticed a daily 86' box car unit train that ran between King Road and either NS's Oakwood Yard or Rouge Steel. There was usually 11-19 cars.

CN would also run a daily NS Oakwood Job with auto and general merchandise.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Ypsi wrote:I enjoy the basically large amount of "stuff" that crowds those photos, the old arches, high tension lines, ect. It really give it neat look to me. Having the GT unit also was a neat touch, love that blue and orange. In the first frame was there room to work it out a little more and not crowd the arch you framed the train in? Just looking at it, it seems like if you could have had a little more room to the right and maybe top of that arch the train is under it would have improved the composition (not saying its bad just my taste). I would be through there was other stuff preventing such like more arches or just other general stuff.
Yeah, I just liked the compressed tunnel look more on that shot, but it was a little tight with the way the arches are. It was a train I had been wanting to follow since I moved as they usually are south bound out of OJ about the time I leave work.
AARR wrote:I worked by Sibley Road for 4+ years and noticed a daily 86' box car unit train that ran between King Road and either NS's Oakwood Yard or Rouge Steel. There was usually 11-19 cars.

CN would also run a daily NS Oakwood Job with auto and general merchandise.
This is the GTW Flat Rock/NS Oakwood interchange train Don.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

My favorite spot on this line is the bridge over Southfield Road.

I've found its easier to photograph this line in the afternoon because you can get most of the high tension wires out of the shot. The key is to find something running then.