CN South Bend Sub: 11/25/15

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

CN South Bend Sub: 11/25/15

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Today I was finally able to leave Kalamazoo and head out to railfan the usual: CN and their South Bend Sub. Instead of S Ave this time, I initially chose UV Ave, where there was a really nice superelevated curve leading into the crossing and signals to show if there was approaching traffic (as I do not have a scanner yet to pick up the DD). However, since there was no place to park except in someone's yard as well as the fact that there was a lot of maintenance equipment at the crossing, I decided to move someplace where I wouldn't possibly cause a problem and that ended up being a private crossing right next to Indian Lake. Unfortunately, only two trains ran during the time I was there, both westbounds. I believe one of them, lead by CN 2145, was A451, judging by its short length and the fact that it was a manifest. A half hour later, CN SD70M-2s 8901 and 8889 lead a much longer manifest. This train's symbol I did not know, but I am sure that it was one of the "M" prefix trains.

Here are the photos from today. I did edit a few of them, just an FYI:

What I believe was A451 rounding the Indian Lake Curve:

CN 8901 and 8889 rounding the same curve a half hour later:

Nose of CN 8901:

CN 8901 and 8889:

Roster shot of 8901:

No idea what's in these cars...they kinda look like cars that I saw up in the UP near the LS&I:

The sign that marks the end of most of the private crossings near Indian Lake:
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN South Bend Sub: 11/25/15

Unread post by GTW »

CN #8901 and #8889 was train #397 it went into emergency at E Marcellus at MP 138.0 Desk 10 put three trains in the siding at Marcellus while #397 got its act together. Little bit of a traffic jam as the tail end on Q 116 hung out about 10 cars for a while. Hope this helps..

GTW

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

GTW wrote:CN #8901 and #8889 was train #397 it went into emergency at E Marcellus at MP 138.0 Desk 10 put three trains in the siding at Marcellus while #397 got its act together. Little bit of a traffic jam as the tail end on Q 116 hung out about 10 cars for a while. Hope this helps..

GTW
Oh my...did they lose air pressure?
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Nice shots. That curve looks like an interesting place to shoot.
NSSD70ACe wrote: No idea what's in these cars...they kinda look like cars that I saw up in the UP near the LS&I:
I'm pretty sure those cars are hauling "dirty" dirt- contaminated dirt from "somewhere" (sorry, I really don't know where) to either a disposal site or a cleaning site. The cars have to be covered so the contaminated product doesn't contaminate anything along the route. I seem to recall having heard where the cars were coming from, but I also thought I read it on this site, and now that I think about it, I can't recall where I would've read it here either. :oops:
~ Charles W.