Southern Ontario 10.16.15

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Southern Ontario 10.16.15

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

First in Sarnia, a CN Yard Job works the Industrial Track along the St Clair Riverfront using the Classic GP9RMs with the Slug Set.

Shoving north along Front St to the Cargill Plant.

ImageCN 7245 - Sarnia, ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageCN Backing up thru Sarnia by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageCN Switching Cargill - Sarnia, ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr

After switching covered hoppers around while being watched by railfan dog, they headed back towards Sarnia Yard.

ImageFoamer Dog - Sarnia, ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr
ImageCN Slugs in Sarnia by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageCN 7245 - Sarnia Riverfront by tcamp7837, on Flickr

They stopped in the shadows to switch a small yard and ended up picking up a cut of tankers.

ImageCN GP9RM - Sarnia Riverfront by tcamp7837, on Flickr

After they were done, they proceeded back to the yard passing the Esso Refinery.

ImageCN on Sarnia Industrial Track by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageCN 7245 - Esso Refinery by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Across from the VIA Station, the train was being yarded while CN 397 was proceeding into the Tunnel for Port Huron.

ImageCN GP9RM and Slug Set in Sarnia by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Next in Salford, the Ontario Southland RR had a few Classic engines sitting outside of the shops while the crews were preparing for their day. The GP7s would be used on the run down the Tilsonburg Branch.

ImageOntario Southland Engines - Salford, ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageOSR GP9s - Salford, ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr

In Ingersoll, the Woodstock Turn job was switching with a pair of FP9s.

ImageOSR Woodstock Turn - Ingersoll, ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr

After the conductor was on board, they headed east for Woodstock where the cars would be interchanged to CP.

ImageOSR 1400 - Ingersoll, ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageOSR 1400 - Beachville, ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr

The crew uncoupled from the autoracks just west of Woodstock. After getting a signal to cross the CN Dundas Sub at Carew, the crew proceeds into Canadian Pacific's Woodstock Yard where cars would be exchanged.

ImageOSR Woodstock Job - Carew by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageOSR - Woodstock, ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageOSSR 1400 & 1401 - Woodstock, ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr

The crew goes back for the autoracks and then ties down for lunch in front of the old Depot, now a yard building.

ImageOSR Woodstock job crossing CN at Carew by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageOSR at CP Woodstock Yard by tcamp7837, on Flickr

At the VIA Station, there are 3 Boxcars sitting across from the station with a beautiful mural painted on them.

ImageBoxcar Mural 3 by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageBoxcar Mural 2 by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageBoxcar Mural 1 by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Next, VIA 73 arrives from Toronto with a P42 and 5 Budd Passenger Cars trailing.

ImageVIA 73 - Woodstock, ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Running approximately 25 minutes late, they depart for a final destination of Windsor.

ImageVIA 73 leaving Woodstock, ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Meanwhile, a Westbound CP Mixed Freight on the Galt Sub passes through but no photo opportunities.

Back in Ingersoll, VIA 76 blasts through town at top track speed with an F40 leading. Here they met CN 331.

ImageVIA 76 - Ingersoll, ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageCN 331 meeting VIA 76 - Ingersoll. ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Next, CN 330 passes through Ingersoll.

ImageCN 330 - Ingersoll, ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageCN 330 heading into Ingersoll by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Later, the Woodstock Turn was ready to head back towards Ingersoll. They would set off their inbound empty autoracks in Centreville for the CAMI Job that switches the GM Plant which would first run to the CN Interchange Yard in Beachville. After working the yard, they would couple to the empty autoracks set off by the Woodstock Job and take them to the GM CAMI Plant where they would be loaded with Chevy Equinoxes.

ImageOSR 1249 - near Ingersoll, ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr

They pulled past the wye and shoved into the docks at GM CAMI. Unfortunately, they did not use the Caboose on that day's run.

ImageOSR CAMI Job - near Ingersoll, ON by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageOSR Autorack Shove by tcamp7837, on Flickr

ImageOSR CAMI Job shove to GM by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Some of the rail scene in Southern Ontario was like going back to something typical 50 years ago in 1965 with the various classic engines and signals. Nice to see in 2015. Thanks for reading.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Southern Ontario 10.16.15

Unread post by AARR »

I liked it, miline. Thanks for posting.

The CN GP9 and slug set looks like it was with a GP38-2 standard nose with snow shield 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Nice presentation of a good trip. Like your pooch too! You will see my little darling in my photos occasionally too.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:Nice presentation of a good trip. Like your pooch too! You will see my little darling in my photos occasionally too.
Not my dog, the owner said the dog liked to see the train on it's morning walk so she always brought it to see the train. Everytime they started moving and would blow the horn the dog became excited and barked at the train and would wait patiently sit and wait while they were in the plant :)

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

Whoa a Canadian Railroad still uses F7's for revenue frieght. Excuse me as I wipe the foam off my Key Board. Where exactly is this and how do I get there from Detroit. Also when do they run. :mrgreen:

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

It's like a step back in time. Amazing to see a pair of Fp9s switching freight. Thanks for sharing. Given the cost of modern locomotives, they must be saving a ton of money.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Wow!!! I've seen the elevator in Sarnia before, but never from that angle. From the west side of the river, it looks like just one track runs between the breakwall and the silos that extend back toward the river. I take it there are more tracks near the loading area of the elevator? Were you able to tell if there was more capacity than the cars they dropped off and the cars they picked up? Those CSX cars had been there a couple days- I remember seeing them across the river earlier in the week, it's really neat to see them in your series of shots.

I hear a lot of chatter on the scanner floating across the river, but I've not taken the time to check out the action to the east myself. Looking at your photos, there's a lot of cool stuff to see. Thank you for sharing so many excellent shots with us.
~ Charles W.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

There are at least two tracks, maybe more. The elevator sits a little ways back from the road making it hard to see exactly how many are back there. The local went into the elevator with 2 Covered Hoppers and came out with over a dozen.

The highlight of Sarnia are the older EMD yard switchers and the slug sets. No where did I see a GP38, that would be relatively modern for Sarnia. The Strathroy Sub has the same and few more trains than the Flint Sub. This local worked the industrial track around 8.30am. Best to go earlier as one will never know how much time to cross the Blue Water Bridge.