Canada by Rail: 60 Years of "The Canadian"

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Canada by Rail: 60 Years of "The Canadian"

Unread post by Ypsi »

This summer, ConrailMan5 and I took the trip of a lifetime on the last streamliner in North America The Canadian. Our trip took us from Toronto all the way across to Vancouver on the classic train. It also happened to be the 60th anniversary year of the train which was launched in 1955 by Canadian Pacific. Although the train has seen many changes through the years it still maintains its first class service, classic equipment, and great Canadian scenery. I spent a lot of time filming this video on the trip, editing the video, and adding narration which is why it has taken so long for me to produce. This is probably my best overall production so far and I am very satisfied with how it came out. It is a full length video of 40 minutes so take some time this weekend to sit back, relax, and enjoy some of the train trip across Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyyrBiPhJq4

YouTube Description:
They say "ride them while you can" and that most certainly is true of The Canadian, the last true streamliner in North America. The Canadian was launch by Canadian Pacific in 1955 as a true first class journey clear across Canada. The train featured brand new stainless steel railcars based on the California Zephyr. The cars are still first rate, including classic Budd diners and dome cars. In 1978 Via Rail took of the service and in 1990 rerouted the train from Canadian Pacific Rails to the more northerly Canadian National route. Although the faces have changed, the equipment and service has not over the course of 60 years. Please enjoy as we celebrate 60 years of The Canadian, the last true streamliner, as we ride the train on its trip west from Toronto to Vancouver!

Now for the write up of the trip:

After getting a taste of The Canadian in 2014, we decided to plan and go back this time riding the entire length of the route from Toronto to Vancouver. After looking into it we determined that we would also be try to take Amtrak home from Seattle rather then flying so we could fill in some more of our rail travel map. After researching dates we settled on early June for the trip, but would have to wait until 6 weeks prior to book the cheapest Via tickets through their "Discount Tuesday" program. We were able to book the cheapest possible Amtrak sleeper space for the return trip early (just got lucky and got the last roomette at the lowest rate), as well as booked our Cascade trip from Vancouver to Seattle and Amtrak ticket from Chicago to Ann Arbor. With everything set all that was left to do was wait, and it felt to take months not weeks to get to the first day of our trip.

On June 11th we set off for Toronto from Windsor. The Via Windsor Corridor ride must be one of the least interesting train rides in North America, it feels like the route is nearly dead straight from when we set off to the city limits. When we arrived in Toronto we had lunch, and then a chance to railfan Toronto Union Station watching the parade of trains in and out of the station.

A Via and GO train head west outbound with an F40PH-3D on one set, and an older F59 on the other. The park we were watching from was almost like a secret, with very few people using it and a place to sit. There was shade and of course a great view of the action.

ImageGO Transit F59 by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

ImageVIA F40PH-3D Toronto Union Terminal by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

After hanging out in Toronto all day and getting some dinner we headed for the sleeping passenger lounge which was infinitely better then the coach waiting area downstairs. With Wifi and couches we were set to wait for a 2 hour late departure after the inbound set arrived nearly 7 hours late. After boarding, and settling our luggage in, we headed to the park car dome for the departure and to ride for a little. Finally around 1 am we headed to bed for the night in our upper births.

On the first day there was not much to report, the Ontario Shield is well the Ontario Shield. It is filled with trees and lakes, it all looks great but not much to photograph. I did grab a shot from one of our crew changes in good light as our train set sits and waits to depart. A side note, it is almost a 10 minute walk to the head end on the 23 car set.

ImageThe Canadian by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

As we progressed on into day 2 we headed for the Canadian Plains. The train was able to make better speed on long tangents as we headed west. And thanks to the openness I was able to shoot the entire train on a large curve.

ImageVia Rail Canadian Full Consist by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

In Winnipeg we visited the Transportation museum which was pretty neat. Sitting in the cab of an old GMD-1 in old CN colors was cool as was checking out everything else the museum had to offer. We took a short walk around Winnipeg before returning for the departure.

After another night of travel we were finally at the Rocky Mountains and scenic highlight of the trip. The video has a large portion from the Rockies as we rolled west, and it was the best scenery I have seen on a train so far (well maybe second to riding on a train right on a Hawaiian Beach :lol:). I just grabbed a couple stills in Jasper, and only one really worth posting. Here the Prince Rupert Train rest as the Canadian is serviced

ImageVia in the Rockies by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

Quite a few of the meets we made along the way

As we rolled west the trip wound down. All meals we had were excellent, and we had a great time talking to the other passengers. It was overall a great trip, and one I hope to repeat in the future. The Canadian is a great train, and as I said last year I highly recommend every railfan try and ride it because it is well worth it.

Last video from the trip:

Thanks for watching and reading! I hope people enjoyed the full length video! 8)
Last edited by Ypsi on Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Re: Canada by Rail: 60 Years of "The Canadian"

Unread post by James Sofonia »

NICE!
I'm sitting in a restaurant checking out your post. The picture story is very good.
I'll be watching the video after I get home with a good wifi connection.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

I have to say it was a very interesting experience for us. While the younger service attendants felt obligated to "serve" the older clientele, they were more apt to chat and hang with us. One night in particular we were in the park lounge shooting the bull with a younger schoolteacher from Texas, an entrepreneur from Dallas, one of the maintainence techs deadheading from jasper to Vancouver, a young car attendant, and the park car attendant. We must have been up until one in the morning drinking various drinks and munching on the complementary food (best upgrade from coach, the muffins were to die for!). It gave it a very real and memorable experience.
I think I did a report already on this, but I will add my photo sets again soon.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Our sleeping accomidations under the CN tower in toronto, "Monck Manor"
ImageYour Home Away from Home by Conrailman5, on Flickr
Passnegers milling about in Hornepayne ON. Unfortunately our engineer freinds were not running that day west of hornepayne, We found out why a few hours later. The engine crew (seperate from the opperating crew) dropped off supplies to the camp of one of the engineers we met. When on vaction, he gets away form work by camoing along the CN mainline I guess.
ImageMilling About at Hornepayne ON by Conrailman5, on Flickr
This photo tells a greater story than one might imagine. Having a scanner on the train is a must, as the onborad service attendents are not given CN radios. As such, we knew more about why the train was being delayed than the service managers. This is the small yard at foleyet ON. The trian going into the siding is train 112, the second hottest eastbound on the system. It is a vancouver-toronto intermodal. Normal opperations dictate that if you are train number 1 0r 2 (the Canadians) you have the lowest priority and are often in the hole. IN this instnace, we were holding the main and 112 was doubling into the first yard track and siding. The reason was that due to our late departure from toronto, CN 101 and 111 (they almost always run back to back, the two hottest westbounds on the system) had been chasing us out of toronto, and would continue to do so all the way to winnepeg. It certainly helped our time making, and the head end crew wasnt complaining either!
ImageCN 2272 east Foleyet ON by Conrailman5, on Flickr
For contrast, here we are west of Sioux Lookout ON, taking what the headend crews reffered to as "the Via Main"
ImageTaking the Via Main again by Conrailman5, on Flickr
Here we see the full consist making a rolling meet as we got close to winnepeg
ImageVia Rail's Canadian Full Consist Meet by Conrailman5, on Flickr
And now we can get into what makes the trip spectacular, the scenery on teh west end. We were treated to a glorious sunset on the prarrie of Manitoba, rolling along at 79MPH
ImageNumber 1 Racing into the Sunset by Conrailman5, on Flickr
ImageVia Rail Sunset and Searchlights by Conrailman5, on Flickr
ImageCanadian Prarie Meet by Conrailman5, on Flickr
ImageVia Rail Grain Elevator Sunset by Conrailman5, on Flickr
Here we are meeting number 2 getting close to Alberta
ImageGood on the Roll By Number 2 by Conrailman5, on Flickr
We arrived at jasper, where all passengers detrained and stretched their legs while the domes were washed. It gave me a chance to stock up on provisions at a local gas station, and get some more train shots. Unfortunately there was some brass around, and we were unable to get any good (read legal and of quality) shots of the servicing process.
ImageThe Canadian, Jasper AB by Conrailman5, on Flickr
The train on the left is the Jasper-Prince Rupert train.
ImageTwo Trains at Jasper by Conrailman5, on Flickr
That is ypsi on the left, wearing his tradmarked look and one of our dweebish camera backpacks :lol:
After departing Jasper, the scenery was fantastic, and there were numerous meets, gining us about as up close and personal a look at mountain railroading as a passenger can legally get
Here is the thompson river
ImageRiver Shot by Conrailman5, on Flickr
Triangle falls, which is only accessable by the CN Mainline
ImageTrinagle Falls Rainbow by Conrailman5, on Flickr
There was a nice mixture of old serachlights adn Darth Vaders along the CN transcon.
ImageVIA Rail Rockies and Searchlights by Conrailman5, on Flickr
ImageCN Mountain Meet by Conrailman5, on Flickr
ImageBCOL Mountain Meet by Conrailman5, on Flickr

That is as far as my picture trip goes on the Via side. It is a great trip with plenty for the railfan, and plenty for the traveler to experience
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Great pics and video. What is a ballpark cost for the trip? I'd sure like to do it.
I watched a train video on PBS a couple years ago, and I thought they said the Canadian was going to be discontinued. Guess not.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

hoborich wrote:Great pics and video. What is a ballpark cost for the trip? I'd sure like to do it.
I watched a train video on PBS a couple years ago, and I thought they said the Canadian was going to be discontinued. Guess not.
The Canadian is always on the chopping block. Via's structure does not have a consistent source of revenue lie Amtrak (well, relatively consistent). They are at the mercy of whatever party is in power at that time.
I believe it costs us $600-800 per ticket to cross Canada in the berth. I don't have the Financials in front of me (Ypsi probably will remember). The good thing is that all meals, and snacks are included in the ticket price. What I mean by snacks is fresh fruit in the park car, biscuits and cookies, plus fresh baked muffins every morning. Alcohol and Soda is additional to sleeping car passengers (Unless you are in premier class, one of the rebuilt chateau cars) I brought an additional $200 Canadian with me, and it lasted from the time I got on in Windsor to when I boarded Amtrak for the states in Vancouver. I think I tipped about $60 to our attendants (westbound you get a new one in Winnipeg).
The key is to book well in advance on "discount Tuesdays", which gives a few nearly half off tickets to select routes and points 6 weeks in advance of the trains departure. Otherwise you could book the trip in winter if you are on a budget.

on a side note, just to compare prices, it was roughly $250 per ticket for us to take the empire builder from Seattle to Chicago.
-Kurt Vonnegut

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Does the $250 include sleeping accommodations for the Empire Builder?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Well done, gentlemen. Thanks for posting here. I liked reading along and the pictures.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Thanks hoborich and AARR! :)

I booked the Canadian 6 weeks in advance for just over $800 USD per ticket (it showed up on VIA's site as $1050 CAD, but the dollar was about 20¢ stronger then the Canadian dollar at the time and still is) with upper births. All meals and such included. I booked the empire builder one way from Seattle for 2 people for $530 with a Roomette or so but that is the cheapest price possible for that train. For one person the Roomette would not be hal as much, but closer to $300-400. They charge you for the coach ticket(s) and then a flat rate per Roomette. So our tickets were like $200 or so for the coach on the builder and then the Roomette was about $300 at the cheapest rate but we could get 2 people in there. For 1 person it would be the $100 or whatever price coach ticket plus the Roomette fee. The corridor trains were all between $30-40 a ticket one way. Originally I had planed it to be about $600 a person by traveling in the off season on via but because of the big CN derailment canceling the Canadian from basically April into mid May I pushed it back and was glad I did.

As a side note I list prices only so others can be aware and learn what trips like this will run, not to show anyone up in terms of money (if anyone sees it that way).. we were able to take this trip because we saved for most of the year and summer before.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

As a side note I list prices only so others can be aware and learn what trips like this will run, not to show anyone up in terms of money (if anyone sees it that way).. we were able to take this trip because we saved for most of the year and summer before.
Not a problem at all. That's what we/I wanted to know. I was interested in the cost of the trip, which is why I asked. I know you guys live in the Ann Arbor/Ypsi area. Did you drive to Windsor. Reason I asked, I live alone and am now in northern Michigan, formerly Detroit area. Not to bug you, but is there long term parking at or near the Windsor Via station. I would have to drive down to Windsor, or fly to Toronto. But taking the train to Toronto, would put me right at the station for the Canadian, as you guys did. Thanks for all your help.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Yes there is long term parking for I think $5 a day at Windsor and it is safe. First time we rode we used it. When we did this trip we were dropped off at the station. You could train to Toronto, then fly back and take the train back to your car at Windsor. Or if it's closer go to Sarnia east of port Huron. Corridor service goes there as well I believe. The ride from Windsor is mostly pretty boring.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks again! Glad you guys had a great time. Looks beautiful. It is now on my bucket list. :lol:

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Added the video from Toronto Union Station in the original post, link is also here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzfoYlZ2w0A

Next up is the video from the trains we met along the way, this one should be interesting as quite a bit of CN variety was seen including BCOL units, and IC units.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Added the final video from the trip, a decent about if the meets we ands with CN freight trains

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EgugaLj_Mww

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

Do you have any pictures of the accomidations for VIA. I hear it is pretty spartan compaired to Amtrak. At least on Amtrak some of the rooms have showers and sinks.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Having ridden both "cheap" accommodations on Amtrak and via in consecutive trips, I will say that Via blew Amtrak out of the water in my opinion. Here's my comparison:

Type of accommodation:
Via: upper birth
-Nightime use: comfortable bed and pillows, nice blankets, sheets and curtain for privacy
-Daytime use, was ok napped a couple times. Front and back seating, carry on could go under seats. Spent more time in the park car with other passengers.

Amtrak: roomette
-Nighttime use: upper Bed had terrible padding was not comfortable, pillows were nice, blanket was just ok. Privacy within a small compartment
-Daytime use: two seats close to each other. Had a decent amount of space. Broken table, but did have outlets in the roomette.

Neither of the cheap rooms have built in showers or toilets. On via you can get a bathroom in your room above a roomette, and a shower a for the two highest classes of rooms. (Via had 4-5 different sleeping classes all together). Amtrak has showers in their bedrooms but only offers less "variety" of sleeping accommodations. Both have handicap accessible bedrooms available.

My conclusion for the nights on the train was the via berth bed was much more comfortable than the Amtrak beds. The comparison goes much deeper than just the beds though.

Shower for sleeping car passengers:

Via:
-Sleeping passenger shower in place of birth #4
-Shower kits included: two towels, wash clothes, soap and shampoo
-Clean and worked properly
-More spacious

Amtrak:
-Showers built into the lower level of super liner sleepers
-Towels in shower room, often not organized or well kept
-As far as I saw no soap or shampoo provided
-Our particular shower door was broken, and only held shut with duck tape (door to shower room locked, but shower door did not close properly)

Dining:

Via:
-Rotating menu
-Finer dishes offered
-Sat at tables with real silverware and plates as well as napkins and glasses
-You can't go wrong with a budd diner

Amtrak:
-Same menu every night
-Booth style seating
-Plastic plates, plastic Cups, paper napkins, paper tablecloths, real silverware

Crew:

Via:
-Helpful all of the time took interest in passengers and service
-Beds made promptly when passengers were not at their births or rooms
-Friendly and even conversational after their shifts were over

Amtrak:
-Tried to be helpful but errors were made
-Poor additudes towards job and even coworkers
-Less formal approach to the work
-Just wanted to "get it done" rather than make it an enjoyable trip

Other passengers:

Via:
-Sleeping car passenger average age was high when compared to Amtrak
-Passengers socialized together in dome cars, lounges, and at the diners
-Positive atmosphere
-Majority of passengers were sleeping car passengers

Amtrak:
-Passenger average age was lower than via and more mixed
-Sleeping car passengers generally kept to themselves
-Not really a group atmosphere
-Majority of passengers were coach, and literally smelled (but I probably would too if I sat on a train for 3+ days :shock: )

Conclusion: although the via tickets were basically twice as expensive as the Amtrak tickets for a one way trip, it was well worth the improved service and trip.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Posted the last video, railroading Seattle Washington

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ayoidVXmXmU

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

So is VIA trying to build high speed rail like we are. How fast did the train average in speed. I am assuming you have a speedometer app on your cell, so as to be able to answer such questions.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

I don't know the answer to that question, nor did I have cell service in Canada (which was actually really really nice for a week). Talking defect detectors gave speeds, and passenger speeds got as high as 60-79 on tangents. This is the CN transcontinental route so it's what CN makes it in terms of speed. The Via corridor routes are trying to be more high speed rail, with train speeds up to 90-99mph I believe.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

wagnew0923 wrote:So is VIA trying to build high speed rail like we are. How fast did the train average in speed. I am assuming you have a speedometer app on your cell, so as to be able to answer such questions.
They have 90 mph corridors Windsor-Montreal. So if that is your definition of high speed rail then yes.
As far as the Canadian goes, CN talking detectors relay speed information. The speeds range from 30 mph across the Canadian Shield to a maximum of 79 across the Alberta prairie.
Talking to an old via head, he Relayed that back in the good old days, the Canadian would reach 90 across the prairie. However that ended after a deadly collision in the mid 80's.
The Canadian itself will never be a high speed train for a few reasons. Number one, it isn't trying to race across Canada. It is marketed as more of a cruise train, so ride quality is important. At 79 MPH you get jostled around a lot, especially in an upper berth. Dining at high speeds is a pain. In fact, it is not uncommon for the SM's to request that the headend crew take it easy because the rear end is getting jolted about. On that note, when everybody is asleep at night, the service crew told me that the headend crews like to make every inch of the 79MPH limit (or whatever the speed limit is) so as to make up time. Sometimes it felt like you were going to be thrown out of the berth, so getting to sleep was a challenge. However, once you are asleep you don't even notice. I bet in a bedroom you wouldn't even have that much of an issue getting to sleep.
Number 2 is that the F40PH-3d's are geared for a maximum speed of 96.5 MPH (as was relayed by the aforementioned deadheading maintainence man). The Canadian crews never see the p42's. It just isn't worth the investment for the extra 11 or so MPH across the entire transcon, especially when it would only be useful for he mid segment. And again, it is CN's tracks so speed is at their digression.
Lastly, VIA has arguably bigger issues with funding than Amtrak, so I would imagine that High Speed Rail en mass is not on the top of their priority list.
-Kurt Vonnegut