Curious Wanderings to Cadillac and McBain

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Curious Wanderings to Cadillac and McBain

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I got a little bored Sunday with the wifie in Califorina, so here are some photos and questions I have. Although I've been to Cadillac many times, I never asked what some of this stuff is like this building on the North yard?

What is done here?

And what is this huge place near the North yard with a lonely rail siding going to it?

I'm guessing this was the centerbeam that had been thru Traverse City a few days ago, I like the graffiti on the car next to it.

I spotted 395 and 397 taking a Holiday rest at the engine barn.

Also some track maintenance equipment. I thought GLC hires this kind of work out to contractors.

I'm always reading about poles for McBain. Down at Selma yard I spotted these cars loaded with huge poles. Do they go to McBain or do they come up from McBain?

Now down to McBain I checked out the new siding still under construction. Both ends are laid and ballasted leaving about 150 ft. to finish in the middle.

I am surprised how it seems a bit short and comes in from the South. I would have thought they would build in from the North and gone further into the industrial park. How are they going to get cars in there without hauling them to Cadillac and back?

While looking at the siding, these ponys across the street came over to the fence for a visit.

I also went to Luther and Carrey this day, I'll post that in the History thread.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Curious Wanderings to Cadillac and McBain

Unread post by AARR »

Originally built around 1997 to transload potash from Hersey it has sat dormant since shortly after being built until this year when MAC bought it to transload corn into covered hoppers (old sand cars) and ship them to Middleton where they are dried and reloaded into unit trains.

2nd picture is the new feed plant going in the old Delta Truss property. Projected to receive up to 50 cars a week (we'll see).

I'll finish the rest later.
Pixl wrote:I got a little bored Sunday with the wifie in Califorina, so here are some photos and questions I have. Although I've been to Cadillac many times, I never asked what some of this stuff is like this building on the North yard?

What is done here?

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

That is the shed to the foundry. Even though they have a spur into the plant (in very bad shape) they get their coke from ABC transload in Selma Yard.

The plant in McBain treats wood logs. They receive the logs by rail. At this time everything is shipped out by truck (AFAIK).
Pixl wrote:And what is this huge place near the North yard with a lonely rail siding going to it?

I'm always reading about poles for McBain. Down at Selma yard I spotted these cars loaded with huge poles. Do they go to McBain or do they come up from McBain?

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Waddy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Waddy »

If they have cars for McBain as the train heads north they could do like we do and "sandwich" the cars drop those off then connect the engines together and continue up to Cadillac.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Waddy wrote:If they have cars for McBain as the train heads north they could do like we do and "sandwich" the cars drop those off then connect the engines together and continue up to Cadillac.
Since this thread got dragged out of the closet I'll have to ask, Did they finish this new siding at Mcbain and is it in service now. Maybe someone has a recent picture.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It seems like they finished it.
Pixl wrote:Since this thread got dragged out of the closet I'll have to ask, Did they finish this new siding at Mcbain and is it in service now. Maybe someone has a recent picture.

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

AARR wrote:It seems like they finished it.
Pixl wrote:Since this thread got dragged out of the closet I'll have to ask, Did they finish this new siding at Mcbain and is it in service now. Maybe someone has a recent picture.
:D :D

Here's two views taken on 4 March 2016, while Donald was at Cadillac.

Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks for posting, KC. Is the mainline veering to the left?
KC wrote:Here's two views taken on 4 March 2016, while Donald was at Cadillac.

Kelly

KC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC »

[quote="AARR"]Thanks for posting, KC. Is the mainline veering to the left?
[quote=]

Correct, Looking northwest. Cherry Dr is the grade crossing on the mainline, with gates lowered, to the left.
Siding on right, train is headed southbound.
GLC picked up several loaded tie cars stored just north of Selma Yard in Cadillac on the Western District mainline.
Kelly