C&NW Overland Route: Afternoon at West Chicago

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

C&NW Overland Route: Afternoon at West Chicago

Unread post by Ypsi »

In early August we headed down to Chicago for a couple days to hang aound and watch trains. On a humid Monday afternoon we spent a couple hours at West Chicago and were not left disappointed.

First train up was a westbound Union Pacific Oil train. This train had a pair of NS SD70Ace’s second and third out behind a UP Motor with the old “We will deliver” slogan on it.

Second train of the day was a meet behind the oil train. They cleared the crossing shortly after the oil train tying up the town.

After the UP trains took their turn it was time for a CN Northbound. This train featured a pair of BC Rail Units on it, with the second being a cowl unit in BC Rail red white and blue paint. I used my drone on this train to get a view of the power and tower together and elevated.

The action picked right back up with a crawling UP autorack train taking the cross over for the yard at slow speeds. Once again I used my drone, and it was noted that the rookie conductor was looking for “UFO’s” as he passed. This gave another interesting perspective of the tower and diamond from above.

After the UP was once again done tying up the crossings a Metra inbound scoot rolled on through.

Like clockwork the outbound scoot came shortly after.

Another CN took its turn northbound after the outbound scoot. I took to the air again to film the slower train at another unique vantage point.

Another westbound UP train came rolling by, this time an intermodal train. As the intermodal rolled by a coal train continued westbound as well with a DPU on the rear.
As the coal train cleared the DPU is seen passing JB Tower.

Our last UP Train for the day was another westbound train, this time being led by a very dirty GEVO and a large consist. The intermodal train passed the coal train which had stopped just west of the diamond and tower.

We returned to the West Chicago Metra station where the next outbound was seen rolling under the old signal bridge.

Finally our last train is seen pulling into the station, the inbound scoot which we will board makes its stop at the depot.

Here are a couple photos of the towers that still earn their keep

ImageJB Tower, West Chicago Illinois by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

ImageTower A-2, Chicago Illinois by Michigan Central Lines, on Flickr

Thanks for watching and reading! 8)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Re: C&NW Overland Route: Afternoon at West Chicago

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: C&NW Overland Route: Afternoon at West Chicago

Unread post by AARR »

I like your video, Ypsi :) . Especially the old crossing sounds. The newer "OWLS" are much quieter and not as enjoyable IMHO.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...