End of the MAW trip plus Amtrak and NS-Bryan ,CSX Defiance

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

End of the MAW trip plus Amtrak and NS-Bryan ,CSX Defiance

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Well my wife had the day off so I didn't get as early of a start as I would have liked but we first got to Cecil about 11am. The crew was leaving in the White Ranger as we were coming into town, CNUR 7 asleep on the line.
end of the MAW Maumee and Western Railroad by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

We drove on to Defiance to see if there was movement there but just pickups loaded on a semi and the 3 locomotives parked in the yard.
Maumee and Western Railroad by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

I decided to drive north to Bryan for a few hours. My wife got me a scanner for Christmas so I was still getting used to it but but I heard a CSX call and got to the south side of Sherwood just in time to miss a DM&E crude oil train. Minutes after getting to Bryan a really late Amtrak Lakehsore Limited arrived.

Before I could pack up my camera an eastbound intermodal came whizzing by.

We drove towards the station but only managed to pace (driving down Paige St) the Lakeshore for 100 yards before it left us in the slush. This local was waiting for an eastbound to pass before it could get off the siding. I tried to get back to town to film the eastbound but icey roads prevented me so I missed both trains.
Norfolk Southern GP38-2's on the local in Byan Ohio by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

The last train we saw was westbound intermodal, then there was a slow spot on the line.

We followed the line clear to Delta without seeing any trains, then we missed a westbound manifest. O well, also no sign of the I&O in Delta. They were on a run somewhere. It was getting close to 2pm so we drove south into Napoleon and followed the MAW back to Defiance. First we went by the diamond to see of tracks east were made but nope. Set up just in time to catch this manifest cross from main 2 to main 1.

Back to the MAW yard to see their last day switching. CNUR 5 was switching to set up the 4/16 and be able to run around them.
Unfourtunately some railfans don't care about trespassing.
This railfan did not care that he was trespassing by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

The interchange track did not have enough room so they had to pull 2 boxcars off.

Sorry about the talking in the video here but there was about 5 others there watching the last move.

last run out to the interchange track for the MAW's locomotives by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

We stayed at the diamond til dark hoping for y101 but not thursday. We did catch some good trains though. Lots of BNSF, CSX and even NS locos passed through.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: End of the MAW trip plus Amtrak and NS-Bryan ,CSX Defian

Unread post by AARR »

I give you guys serious credit for braving the coal to shoot pics and vids!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

The guy "tresspassing" was fine. The MAW guys really do not car at all, just don't do anything stupid. The spot where everyone sits out at FC is "tresspassing" too, so is anywhere south of the street at the park in Deshler

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

MagnumForce wrote:The guy "tresspassing" was fine. The MAW guys really do not car at all, just don't do anything stupid. The spot where everyone sits out at FC is "tresspassing" too, so is anywhere south of the street at the park in Deshler
Took the words right outta my mouth! Not to mention the guy who owns all that property at FC is a personal friend of mine. :wink: I'LL TELL ON YOU!!!
Bottom text.

lakeshoredave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lakeshoredave »

good report. enjoy your new scanner. what kind of antenna do you have with it?

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

I was on road right of way and I have no intention on argueing about what is or isn't tresspassing.

I'm enjoying it but still getting used to railfanning with it. Its a Uniden trunktracker III hand held but not sure what type of antenna. I believe I can plug in a remote antenna so I am looking for suggestions of what works best.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Just saying no use in calling a guy out, where you were sitting when I met you was trespassing too and there was not a thing wrong with being there. The guy you are calling it out is 3 feet from the sidewalk in grass far far away from any rail or any danger.

nssd70m-2
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nssd70m-2 »

That last train was nice with the YN2 SD40 leading.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Whats the story behind that boxcar that looks like it was rear ended?
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Looks like track speed was 50 in that area. YN2 had 158 cars by my count, and just two SD40s. Pretty cool. Thanks for the pics.
I give you guys serious credit for braving the coal to shoot pics and vids!
It must be hard on the shoes, walking in all that coal. :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".