Scooterb's first trip report 2005 part 2

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Scooterb's first trip report 2005 part 2

Unread post by Scooterb »

Okay on to part two, we are still in Delta Ohio on the NS Chicago line, it has started raining now and dark clouds so the pics are not great but at least i am out of the house.
We get NS 16N at mile post 313
NS B41 comes westbound with coiled steel and gons loaded with scrap for Worthington and North Star Steel. the pic is terriable so I wont post it. NS 20E passes by on the Eastbound track. But wait whats the leader on this train! Its one of the new NS GEVO's and I cant get a shot because the B41 is blocking my shot. After some deliberation we head East to see if we can catch up to him. Thought we might get a shot of him at Vickers Ohio MP286. So its on the road to East Toledo. The Rail gods are smiling on me today, it seems I hit all the lights green going through Toledo. The scanneer picks up that NS 16N breaks a coupler and NS 205 gets a re crew at Toledo. We have a fighting chance. We pull up at Vickers and there are two NS westbounds waiting, an NS Eastbound waiting. two CSX southbounds and one CSX northbound waiting plus they are working on the diamond lets settle in and see what happens.
12:43 we get NS 206 again with a fresh crew he is really smoking
12:57 NS 20E comes by this is the one we came for
1:00 NS 21Z comes by with this lashup I grab this going away shot because 20E is still going by.
NS 9419, NS 6720, NS 9491, NS 9468, NS 6624, NS 9889, NS 6720, NS 93348, NS 9977, NS 9728. This was the power for this train.
Lets go down the road and grab a head shot of CSX Q210

We see NS 16N again at 1:16
1:21 CSX Q210 gets the signal so we get this pic
1:31 this eastbound NS mixed comes by.

Lets grab a shot of that second unit

We get an southbound light engine move on CSX, followed by CSX E426 at 1:45 The hoppers are lettered CSCX. I cant remember if this pic is the light power or the empty hopper train

NS 560 gets re-crewed and heads west at Vickers. NORX reporting marks

2:10 CSX Q322

2:32 we head down to Walbridge yard and see Q507 comming around from Stanley yard.
Lets go see whats down at Stanley yard. This engineer waves us across the crossing so I get this pic from the west side.
Here is a shot of the yard

3:18 get this w.b. mixed on NS. My son shot these same locos up in Lansing two weeks ago. Here are both pics I like his better.
Well I would like to head up to Monroe Michigan to see what Photo angles might be available there. I remember years ago the were some bridges around, so we head North and catch a few trains between Toledo and Monroe.
Arriving in Monroe we follow the tracks into town it appears their are two NS lines and a CN line that run pretty close together we follow what turns out to be the NS line it runs between the sidewalk and road for aways thrue town it is even elevated about 4 feet in one spot. My son and i comment on how cool it would be to catch a train on this line sometime. we follow it north for awhile and come to a southbound signal and look. It shows green. could it really be we have a train comming down on this line. In the distance to the North we see a headlight so I turn around and head back to this spot that looks like it should be good.
Lots of areas for good pics here.
We drive around and hear CN talking so we know we have one comming so to scout out our next shot we decide on this bridge. I believe this is CN 760 loaded DETX hoppers.
We check out the NS yard and find these.
Well it wasnt to bad for a rainy dark day. We will go to Monroe in the near future for a day and see what we can come up with.
Hope all enjoy
Scott B

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Nice work

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Good photos and a nice report there Scott. keep up the good work. Liked that you got many former NYC signals in your photos. That NW yellow caboose at Monroe has been here for at least a year, and replaced a PRR N5-C Conrail caboose, which was moved elsewhere.
-Nathan