MMRR Monday Night

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

MMRR Monday Night

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Went out to watch the MMRR Waverly Turn go to work tonight. Tested my new flash out while they were havin fun in the fresh snow.

The mill job returned to North Yard around 2215 with 3839 and 13 cars from Sappi, bailed right off the train, went in the office to finish up their day and then left. Waverly Turn crew arrived at 2300, went inside and got their paperwork together. Then they took the mill train, set out one of the boxes, then tacked it onto the end of their train on the north end of the yard. Then headed to the south end to pick up MS 73. Then they tied onto their train, pulled ahead, put the EOT on, did an airtest, conductor walked to the head end reading all the cars off to the engineer, and then highballed!

Here's what they had:
7 boxes for Bay/Shape
7 sand hoppers from Nugent
2 boxes from Gerber
7 tanks from Webb
3 boxes from Bay/Shape (did they get switched twice today I wonder?)
3 tanks from Sappi
1 covered hopper from Sappi
8 boxes from Sappi
=38 total

They made it up Henry Street Hill, but not very quietly. I have video, maybe post it later. When they got out towards Airline Rd. where there is a slight grade out of town, specifically where I took this picture: http://muskblock.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... 016_RJ.JPG they had a bit of trouble. They were laboring up the grade, making fairly good speed, but then suddenly backed off, let gravity set in slowing them down, then applied the brakes until they stopped, then dumped their air. Sat while it pumped back up for about 10 minutes, and slowly started moving for about 15 minutes. Strange thing is, I saw them do this last week in the same spot, too. Anyone know what could be up?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

They were laboring up the grade, making fairly good speed, but then suddenly backed off, let gravity set in slowing them down, then applied the brakes until they stopped, then dumped their air. Sat while it pumped back up for about 10 minutes, and slowly started moving for about 15 minutes. Strange thing is, I saw them do this last week in the same spot, too. Anyone know what could be up?
Well, you'd know better than us, unless some guys from MMRR join the site. I think you ARE our muskegon info source..doubt muskegonrr follows them too closely, eh woot? :)

Only two cars from fremont.. quite a bit of track for that low of output..we need to get more traffic going from up that way.

Buddy of mine is moving into an old condo on Lakeshore Dr near Cole's bakery..he wondered about train times when they head to/from the mill, so this is helpful. He's into police scanners, so i gave him MMRR's frequency from your page too. Thanks Bob!
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com