Owosso and PM 1225 aka the Polar Express - 12/18/04

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Owosso and PM 1225 aka the Polar Express - 12/18/04

Unread post by ~Z~ »

This past Saturday was the first time I've been out with a camera in about 5 weeks time. This was also my first time getting any kind of pictures of live steam. Headed to Owosso on the 18th, arriving around 1:30pm. Picked up Patrick, and headed out snooping around town. Took a route up Delany Rd for the majority of the trip. Scouted out crossings along the way, over to Henderson, Oakley, and Chesaning. Return trip to Taco Bell to get some food for what would be a very exciting day. Met up with Mike H and Alpenarailfan there. Heard JRV was nearby, but didn't see him till he was on the train. The engine pulled up to start loading passengers. After doing so, they let off some steam...
Last edited by ~Z~ on Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

After seeing the steam display, the engine backed up, and we (patrick and i) took off. Over to the crossing at Michigan Ave to take some photos, saw it at M-52, then over to M-21(Main St). Saw Patricks mom there and took the following:
Webmaster

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

After the M-21 crossing, we hightailed it to a spot just off Alden street to get a picture of the polar express as it rounded a corner to start heading due north.
Last edited by ~Z~ on Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Webmaster

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Got caught behind some traffic at this point and had to hurry to catch it by Juddville. A few railfans were standing out in front of everyone else in the photo line along the road, but i got them cropped out.
Webmaster

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

As we were leaving Juddville Rd, noticed a green civic that didn't make a good parking spot on the side of the road, and slid into the ditch. I would assume their chase was finished for the day. Henderson was the next stop. Many cars already parked there, found a spot at the last moment, hopped out and got this picture. The following diesel TSBY #390 (City of Durand) was seen in the distance.
Webmaster

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Another photo in Henderson as the 1225 rounded the corner to head northeast.
Webmaster

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

After Henderson, headed east to M-52, then north again. Seeing the train chugging along in the fields in the distance, Patrick said to pull over. I threw on the 4ways and got this out the window.
Webmaster

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Arriving in Oakley, parked next to Patrick's mom again, went across the road, and got the following photo right around when JRV was taking a photo of Santa along the side of the road.
Webmaster

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

The school bus was going to go before the flashers went on, but as soon as the kids saw it was a steamer, the bus stayed put, with all of the kids pushing to the side of the bus to watch the 1225 come across.
Webmaster

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Ending the day along Peet Rd nearing Chesaning, the 1225 slowly chugs across a frozen field...well, frozen for the most part, right Patrick? Many railfans were irritated that a lady decided to stand behind the mile post. Good ending to a great day of chasing through. Met Avance there as well. A sunny day would have been better, but i wouldn't have traded this day away at all. This started the beginning of what was one of the better weekends i've had in quite a while. Thanks to all for the chase and excitement there.
Webmaster

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

WOW

Unread post by RailCanon »

Those are great pictures! I was riding on that trip! I really like those pictures at Oakley.