Indiana Trip

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Indiana Trip

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Made a trip to various locations in northern Indiana on Sunday. It was a pretty decent day weather-wise. A lot of running around caused for a little lower train count, but I had fun so it's okay. The link is to the trip report on my site. It has pictures with it too. Hopefully it works, my sites been acting funny lately.

http://www.midwestrailfan.com/11506.html

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Out of curiousity, where did you shoot your photos in Mishawaka? I found several spots in Mishawaka and Osceola on Saturday that I hope to use in the future, but I was curious as to where others go to watch the trains here.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

The best spot in Mishawaka that I found was a small baseball field right next to the tracks on Kline St. Most other spots were just pull off to the side of the road deals...

I did see a nice little spot along 933 in Osceola. There was a picnic table off to the side of the road in a nice little park setting. Probably not a good spot for pictures though as it is on the north side of the tracks.

This was my first time venturing east of South Bend. The baseball park is probably a good spot to sit and watch the trains, nothing special about the photo's you'll take there, but it's better than looking like an idiot sitting on the side of the road. There is a concrete bridge over a stream in Osceola just west of Elkhart Yard, again photo's would probably be hard to come by as you can only shoot from the north side of the tracks.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Oh, ok, yeah, I think I know where that ball field is. And I know those two locations in Osceola, but I've never really tried to use them. I did, however, figure out that there are residential streets that parallel the tracks, closer than Lincolnway. For example, just east of Capital Ave (the road that goes north of Lincolnway as a divided highway) there is a line of fast food restaurants. Turns out that if you go down one of the side streets there, there is a one lane/alley-like road that runs along the north property line of the tracks, although it is on the north side, its pretty isolated, and the last block (going west) is a dirt street. Just as it turns into dirt, there is a business whose parking lot runs out to the dirt part of the road (I think it might be a funeral home, but I'm not sure). I was able to park there yesterday and catch a westbound, but if I'd been smarter, I'd have parked there the first time I went by and set up instead of waiting for the train to come into sight before I chose a place to park. But I'd guess anywhere along that street would make a decent place to park at.
If you're further into downtown Mishawaka, Fourth Street runs parallel to the tracks, although it's both on the north side of the tracks, and in a residential neighborhood. However, a couple of the streets that cross it also cross the tracks. One of those crossroads leads to Bendix park, which is not only on the south side of the tracks, but is bisected by an abandoned looking spur into what is now a Bayer plant. When I was out there on Saturday, the park was open, but no one was around. Also, the road in and out is steeply inclined on both sides and has very poor visibility. Closer to downtown, is Beiger street. When I crossed the tracks there, the first factory on the east/ left side looks to be abandoned (or no one parks in visible sight on either a Saturday afternoon or on a Monday afternoon). From the parking lot there, you might be able to get a decent shot, or with a small amount of walking, you could probably get a decent shot closer to the tracks.
Also, farther into town, I think the next street or the one after that, I found a small parking lot on the north side of the tracks, right near the signals that say 4311 on them. Just across the tracks from this lot is an AMG plant, complete with trailer parking lot on the west side of the street. You might be able to duck in there for a minute or two, although there is a sign posted that says AMG parking only.
And if you're looking for a different (ok, cluttered) shot, the CVS pharmacy on Fourth Street backs right up to the tracks, and although there is a fence behind the building, the fence ends at the road on the east side of the property, affording a clear view of the tracks and the old factory building on the other side. Also, at the other end of that block is what appears to be a fairly nice restaurant, but also another break in the viewblocking brush and fence. Actually the only real issue here is a sign that sticks up over the guardrail advertising the restaurant, I think.
All in all, there're a lot more opportunities to get different shots along that line than I'd realized, and if you hit it at the right time, there're certainly a lot of trains moving there, easing some of the pain of missing one because of any of at least half a dozen reasons.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Osceola

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Hey Guys.
I see you mentioning the area on the east end of Osceola near where the NYC line crossed over Baugo Creek. Now as you said, the best place to see the bridge is from old US33, which is on the north side of the tracks. However, you can get to the south side if you don't mind being a bit further away. If you cross the tracks at the first crossing east of the bridge (the only one between here and the Yard, on the county line) and go to where it ends one block south of the tracks at Mishawaka Road, turn right (west). Cross the creek and then make a right turn at the first side street. Where this road turns to the left (west) the train tracks are right in front of you. There is a small wide spot in the road and a gravel incline which can be used by service vehicles if necessary. Running up this incline on foot will provide the photo below if you look east. Its nice there are crossings in the area, which allow you to sit at your car at the bottom of the hill and just run up to snap a quick photo, then come back down. That way you know something is coming and a scanner is not required. You can see the bridge in the photo under the second locomotive, and those NYC signals make a great backdrop. Just a little heads up.

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/disp ... at=7&pos=1

RoushRules
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RoushRules »

Mr topps... Im suprised that I didnt see you. I was at about a third of those spots around the same time as you and have pics of some of the same trains.
Next time you venture down to South Bend/Lapaz check out these spots:

Souh Bend:About 1/2 mile west of the Police station/jail complex on sample st where the road does a little jog to the left look for Arnold St on the north side of Sample. It only goes north. It dead ends into the junction of the CN & NS. I usually back right up to the barricades (Arnold used to cross the tracks back in the day) but some others take a dirt path that runs along the tracks and park out in the grass. Later in the day you can get some really cool shots there with Studebaker building in the background. LOTS of traffic there.
If you keep going west on Sample and take it out of town it turns into Crumstown highway. Stay on that until the speed limit jumps up to 55. Shortly after you past that sign start looking for Peach rd.
It will be on the south side of Crumstown in the middle of a sweeping right hand curve. Its easy to miss if you arent sure where it is. This road will cross the CN and I get some really nice shots there.

Lapaz: Going west on CR6 from US31 turn north onto Oak rd. This road goes over the CSX. Just befor you get to the bridge you can pull off to the left to an access road and park and walk up to the top of the bridge. Some cool shots can be had here.

If you ever see a red Thunderbird (or soon to be a Dale Jr Edition Monte Carlo) lurking around stroll over...thats me. I can show ya a ton of spots...

GP30M...great tip on getting to the south side of the bridge over the creek. I work on CR19 and drive by the yard during my lunch break.Many times I have wondered about getting a shot back in there but never bothered exploring it.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

If you go into the Pulaski Park area (the park near Arnold Street), you might want to keep an eye out. It's not all that nice of a neighborhood, and when the locals are out and about it can get a little uncomfortable. Personally, I usually tend to stay out of there unless I'm not on my own.

RoushRules- thanks for the tips on the Crumstown area, I haven't been over there yet (that I know of) but I'll have to check it out sometime when the weather gets nice again. I have noticed the bridge at Lapaz, but didn't know about the access road (I think I miss a lot of cool things when my free time turns out to be later in the day, long after the sun sets), I'll have to look for that too. If you see a white Mercury Sable with a 'Bethel College' sticker in the back window and a Michigan plate, especially around Mishawaka or Elkhart, that's me.

GP30M- I knew that the roads circled around on the south side of the tracks, but hadn't taken the time to drive through there myself. Guess I'll have to now, seeing as someone's pointed out that there's a way of getting shots on the west end of the yard too. Question, will that location also provide an "ok" photo of trains entering the yard, or earlier in the day when the sun is better for shooting eastbounds than westbounds?

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

My location will provide the exact photo I showed with a little xoom assistance. It is looking east (toward the yard) at a westbound train. You'll want afternoon or late afternoon light for that sort of photo. Morning will provide good opts for eastbound trains, coming from South Bend, but these will be less scenic. If you want to get eastbounds in a better area, just go to that crossing at the county line road a mentioned earlier, at the throat of the west end of the yard. You should be able to get some nice spots in either direction there. At the west end of the yard is a NYC signal bridge for westbound departing trains. Even though the light will be on the wrong side, standing along US33 in the morning catching eastbounds coming into the yard under this signal bridge can be great too, as the front nose will be in the light.

I've been seeing trains around Elkhart for 20 years now pretty much, so I know a couple good spots. The one in Osceola on the south side of the tracks I found just a year or two ago, and have some nice photos.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Great pics as usual Bob.
The night shots with of the UP did you use a flash or just the lights of your car?

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Replies

I'm going to have to be like Charles W and address my replies LOL...

Alright, here goes....

ScooterB - Thanks, I enjoyed your Fostoria trip report as well. The UP night shots were with the camera flash. I did a bulb exposure, fired the flash at the beginning, and left the shutter open for a few seconds...

CharlesW - I also went to the AMG trailer lot (and saw the sign) so didn't bother to stay there too long. Here's a picture of another spot I went to more towards downtown. Didn't really look like a very nice place to stay to watch though...Can't remember the name of the street, but I pulled into a small driveway to a run down little shop on the eastern edge of a curve.

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/albu ... 357rrf.jpg

I've been to Arnold Street and Pulaski Park. Didn't want to stay there too long either...

RoushRules - I drive a dark blue Jeep Wrangler, did you see me? LOL. As I told CharlesW, I've been to the Arnold St area. Well, to be honest with you, I'm not much of a big city person, I moreso enjoy the middle of nowhere. Like the Oak Rd bridge in LaPaz, for example: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictur ... %20014.jpg

Or if you were to shoot from ground level: http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictur ... %20017.jpg

I take it you didn't read my report, or look at the pictures? :( LOL

I'm building quite the collection of photos from that spot, and have to stop going there every time I'm in the area...all the pictures look the same :lol: Go through my rrpicturearchives.net gallery, you'll find a couple more shots from Oak Rd.

To everyone (or anyone who cares?) - As I said earlier, I'd rather shoot in the wide-open as opposed to cities. Sometimes you have to go into the cities to get the action and whatnot, but it's just too hard to find a spot to relax, see ALL the action, and get the right shot -- without billboards, wires, cars and other junk in the way. Wellsboro is one of my FAVORITE spots. I love that place with a passion. It has it's quiet periods, but that's what makes it Wellsboro. Has anyone who's ever been there notice just how tranquil and peaceful it is there? Sometimes it's so quiet it's eerie. Last February I went down there, it was a BEAUTIFUL day (not only for February, but any month of the year) sun, 40 degrees and no wind. You could hear the water seeping through the ballast as the sun melted the ice, you could also hear NS trains on the Chicago line, like they were coming through Wellsboro. Several times I had to actually get out to make sure there wasn't a train coming. You could even hear the locomotives roaring. Now LaPorte is only about 5 miles north, but that's the only time I've ever been able to hear the Chicago line from Wellsboro. And on Sunday night as I was doing some random night photography around Wellsboro, I heard a faint CR horn. After listening for a while, I realized it was coming from the south...this time it was the NS Ft. Wayne line through Thomaston. Very cool to hear a train off in the distance like that. Nothing special about it, I just personally think it's cool.

I remember when I was little, I used to record the Cannonball with a little cassette recorder. Sometimes on warm summer nights, I could faintly hear the train honking through Muskegon. I would actually put the recorder in my window and record the faint whistle. Nothing but a faint horn, a gentle breeze and dogs barking. Peaceful. I dunno, just some fascination I had. I still have a fascination for train horns LOL. Ahh..reminiscing...warm summer nights...gentle breeze...sounds like a poem, but now back to the cold January freezing rain...darn.

But anyhow, yeah, I like Wellsboro, and Deshler is kind of the same way, I like the small towns like that, there are plenty more scenic opportunities outside the city limits. Sometimes I'll see a nice spot to build a house along the tracks in an open field...one can't help but imagine...

Sorry, that was long and pretty and pointless, but I'm done now. LOL

Mr. Tops - AKA "Chief Long Train"

RoushRules
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RoushRules »

Mr Tops. The link you posted took me to a list with links of about half the trains. I looked at a couple of them. Mostly the ones that were taken in areas I was at that day.
Obviously I didnt look at the Lapaz shots...
Ive seen a jeep wrangler around several times...mostly out in the grass at Arnold st.
I grew up near Arnold so it doesnt bother me being there. Ive only seen a handful of people in all the times that Ive gone there and never had anything shaddy happen...But yes the whole area is kinda shaddy.
Used to be all old Pollocks back in the day. Then it got to be mostly black...thats when I moved out. Now its mostly Mexicans. Hell we call it Lil Mexico.
Anyway like you I tend to stay out of the city and go out in the middle of nowhere.
I usually follow the NS from the Elkhart yard west to just north of Laporte. The CN from Arnold down to Wellsboro. And the CSX from Bremen all the way west to Portage.

Gotta go get ready for work... chat at yall later.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I too was pretty turned off at South Bend on my first trip down. Parked at Pulaski park, walked through the park to the edge and up to the closed off area at Arnold St. While sitting at those concrete barriers, some times when people would start to come by, i'd head down into the park and kept missing trains since you usually didn't hear a horn for the approach if they were coming from the east. Decided to walk along that grassy area towards Chapin St, and found that much better. If you park in the cul-de-sac where 5/3rd bank is just off of Chapin St, you can then walk across the grassy area up towards the tracks, and plop down a chair. Scooterb can confirm it's fine here, as we only had one person jog past us all day there. At least the best part of being right there is seeing both CN and NS without needing to move. I do agree though that I normally like being outside of towns, but when joint trackage is downtown, i move downtown :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Re: Replies

Unread post by RailCanon »

Mr. Tops wrote: Sorry, that was long and pretty and pointless, but I'm done now. LOL

Mr. Tops - AKA "Chief Long Train"
Very enjoyable reading!
Yeah, I like small towns too. Thats one of the reasons why I enjoy shortlines.

One place you might want to check out, next time you are down in Wellsboro, is a place just east of Wellsboro called Kingsbury on the GTW/CN line. Looks like a nice place to me.

Also, one thing you might want to fix:
The picture of NS at Chesterton, IN says Muskegon on rrpicturearchives

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Fixed

Gregg,

I got your comment and fixed the pic. Thanks.

RoushRules,

The Jeep you've seen isn't me. I've only been to the Arnold St/Pulaski Park area once for a short time.