Myrtle Beach (End of the line)

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
intocable83
Railroadfan...fan

Myrtle Beach (End of the line)

Unread post by intocable83 »

End of the Line Image
Last edited by intocable83 on Tue May 28, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intocable83
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Myrtle Beach (End of the line)

Looking the other directionImage

intocable83
Railroadfan...fan

intocable83
Railroadfan...fan

intocable83
Railroadfan...fan

I figured I'd get a few shots of the place while the tracks are still in place, obviously hasn't been a train down this stretch in quite some time. Would make a great line for a tourist or commuter train into town, alleviate a little bit of the tourist traffic on the roads coming into/out of town during peak tourist season.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Any idea whose railroad? Im presuming CSX or NS but maybe a short line.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

AARR wrote:Any idea whose railroad? Im presuming CSX or NS but maybe a short line.
Pretty sure that belongs to the Carolina Southern RR. They've been dormant since around 2011 or so after the FRA found a whole slew of bridge problems. They have tried to get a grant to fix things up, but it's not going well. Their financial situation isn't great either...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_ ... n_Railroad
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

I went to Florence, SC for a job interview two years ago. First experience in the Carolinas. Interesting to say the least. I was there in early May. It was 80, humid, and I was miserable, while people were walking around Florence in khakis and long shirts...I never would have survived the heat!

Practice Safe CSX

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

CSX_CO wrote:I went to Florence, SC for a job interview two years ago. First experience in the Carolinas. Interesting to say the least. I was there in early May. It was 80, humid, and I was miserable, while people were walking around Florence in khakis and long shirts...I never would have survived the heat!

Practice Safe CSX
Last summer my cousins came up from Columbia, SC for a week. It was during that heat wave, when everyone thought they were going to die of the 100-degree heat. Well, they enjoyed it, as it was almost 10 degrees cooler here than there. They thought the 85-degree Mona Lake Surface temp was a little to the cold side! :lol: :roll: :idea:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

I believe the Carolina Southern's largest customer was a power plant just west of Myrtle Beach that shut down three or four years ago. I don't think there was enough traffic left to keep it running, especially with the bridge issues.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:I believe the Carolina Southern's largest customer was a power plant just west of Myrtle Beach that shut down three or four years ago. I don't think there was enough traffic left to keep it running, especially with the bridge issues.
Quite a few short lines survive on one or two primary customers. It's a precarious way to go to say the least. But in some areas there is not much possibility of new "significant" customers so they are stuck without many other options.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SD40-2
Canada Eh!

Unread post by SD40-2 »

Here is a Carolina Southern stone train that I shot in Conway, SC. Back in May 2007

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

WARNING AARR STYLE POINTLESS POST: While along the lines of shortlines in the Carolinas, I was able to see whatever RayRode runs from the yard at Florence out to the NUCOR plant near Darlington while waiting for my chance to interview. Just wish I'd brought my camera.

Practice Safe CSX

intocable83
Railroadfan...fan

Between the depot and the bridge there are a handful of potential customers including a scrap yard but not sure if they would be worth fixing whatever issues the bridge has. Noticed a large chunk of land for sale which may have been the location of the power plant mentioned. We traveled along the line away from Myrtle Beach for quite some time and everything on the line looks to be in good shape and most businesses have sidings. Just need a train running down those tracks.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

We are staying at North Myrtle Beach and drove by the drawbridge on the Inter Costal
Waterway the control room has all the windows knocked out and the door wide open
i'm guessing if they were ever planning on using this line again the windows and doors
should have been plated over and welded shut. Myrtle Beach reminds me of Toledo or Flint
Mi...just happens the be on the Ocean and they are many failed businesses...