Jackson Junk Yard Find!!

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Jackson Junk Yard Find!!

Unread post by Big Frank »

OK So today after work I beat feet for Jackson to pick up a Jeep axle from a Junk Yard while I was there I felt something weird like it was nagging at me well after I was done wrenching on the jeep I noticed what it was There were 2 GTW passenger cars!!! In the over growth of weeds and trees. the guy at the desk said " hell I don't know they have been here for ever. My question is were did they come from and why hasn't anybody tried to scoop them up for a resto job or something.

FRANK
Last edited by Big Frank on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beating Up Foamer's and Rail Nerds Since 1981... I h8 u all!!!!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

C'mon, Frank...PICS PLEASE!! :)

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

I didnt have my cam but the next time I go home ill deff get some pics

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

One car is pullman the other is GTW and I thought there was a third one there.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

ns8401 wrote:One car is pullman the other is GTW and I thought there was a third one there.
From what i saw is that it was 2 it was getting dark

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

They have been there forever. at one time one of the three used to be a restruant called Wimpy burgers, I think that one got cut up, if I remember right there used tobe an old spur that went to the junk yard removed in the late 80's unless I am thinking about the one that went next door to the old Plastigage building.

Big Frank
Railroadfan...fan

Scooterb wrote:They have been there forever. at one time one of the three used to be a restruant called Wimpy burgers, I think that one got cut up, if I remember right there used tobe an old spur that went to the junk yard removed in the late 80's unless I am thinking about the one that went next door to the old Plastigage building.
Ahh cool Im surprised the GTW H.S. never tried to acquire them for a resto or anything

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Jackson Junk Yard Find!!

Unread post by NS3322 »

Digging up an old thread...
But are these GTW passenger cars still in Jackson?

Cinderpath
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Cinderpath »

Those are still in there? I grew up in Jackson, remember them as a kid. I believe they were bought for some kind of restaurant and never used. They would have came in on the GT, and the last GT train in Jackson was 73 I believe.

Macowiec
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Macowiec »

We looked at them for the SMRS back in the early 80s. They were in pretty bad shape then. If I remember correctly, one was in the GTW black/white "modern" scheme and the other in the earlier olive and black scheme.
SMRS 1982-88, IHRC 1989-90, KJRY 1991-94, UP 1994-2000

Publisher of Tecumsehjunction.com

Full European rail booking on my site: polrail.com

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

If you throw 42.251392, -84.453156 into Bing Maps and go into Birds Eye View you will be able to see them.
But unfortunately the more updated/recent Google Maps imagery does not show them...

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I snuk into them several years ago while hunting parts, They were in terrible shape then full of old 70's era car parts long forgotten, mostly gauge clusters and dash parts. The parts inside are probably worth more to collectors of old autos then the cars are. Holes in the roof and floor everywhere piled high with animal feces, probobly the only thing salvageable would be the trucks.

Speaking of other Jackson rail mysteries, does anyone know who has the old PC boxcar stored at Miller Truck and Storage? I know it came from down by the Amtrak station behind a whorehouse but who paid to move it and where is it going?

Also there is a passenger car truck? parked in front of a a building on he corner of RT50 and US127, it has been there for some months and only the one truck. The building used to be a pizza joint some years ago and about 10 other businesses have been in and out over the years.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

SousaKerry wrote:Also there is a passenger car truck? parked in front of a a building on he corner of RT50 and US127, it has been there for some months and only the one truck. The building used to be a pizza joint some years ago and about 10 other businesses have been in and out over the years.
Where is this exactly? I tried looking for it on Google Maps and had no luck finding it.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

NS3322 wrote:
SousaKerry wrote:Also there is a passenger car truck? parked in front of a a building on he corner of RT50 and US127, it has been there for some months and only the one truck. The building used to be a pizza joint some years ago and about 10 other businesses have been in and out over the years.
Where is this exactly? I tried looking for it on Google Maps and had no luck finding it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vande ... 84.3918105
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"