CP's disappearing act from CSX

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

CP's disappearing act from CSX

Unread post by redside20 »

Wow, looks like CP really is moving all of their trains to NS, what a logjam of traffic this will be between Butler and Chicago. Good luck moving your trains CP.

So who is really benefitting here, NS or CP?

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

NS is the one who gets the benifits.
They didn't pay for the connection, from what I've heard, so they get to use it for themselves, and CP, who paid for it, has to sit in the sidings for hours while NS runs their hotshots past.
Me thinks the Beaver has been had. :)

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Its my understanding for now that NS cant use the new connector for existing trains, Buttttttttttttttt they have started a local that runs from Elkhart to Montpelier. I may be wrong so anybody in the know correct me. I have been down there several times and have not seen or heard CP getting stabbed at all for NS trains.
Personaly I think CP looks good with NS. It breaks up the monotiny of all the black. Also gives me more trains to see and photograph.
On the old Wabash Huntington line NS seems to fleet the trains in one direction, then the other.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

I give it five years

Unread post by CAT345C »

I give it Five Years, I would put money on it, if I was 18. I'll wonder if CSX were to offer the right price if CP would buy it. There would be more varitey of locos like maybe some GP9-Ms (I think thats what there called)
I thats my christmas wish.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

5 years is a long time. Could be alot of mergers by then. and the whole railroad landscape would be completly different.
I have wondered why CP didnt buy the old Michigan Central now NS line through Michigan as I understand that it was or still is for sale. Talking about trains getting held for other trains it seems like NS is always waiting for AMTRAK (sorry AMTRAK lovers) Conrail/NS used to run a fair amount of trains through here but sitting in a siding dont make the money. Now most have been transfered to the Chicago line. Oh well count myself lucky whithin an hours drive I can see lots of trains.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I don't know whether or not the rumors are true, but about quarter to six this morning I happened to see an EB CP loco pulling a TOFC train through South Bend/Mishawaka. They were doing about 45-50 mph (I was sitting in the backseat where I could see our speedometer, and we appeared to be pacing the train, or slightly trailing it). I don't know how many locos were on the front, I was half asleep coming down the north side of the big hill on Ironwood (for those that know the area) and realized too late that I was staring at a CPR Beaver on the side of what I think was an SD90MAC, but it could've been an ACwhateverCW as well. It's the first CP train I've personally seen at all on the NS since they started moving trains over, but it makes me wonder if maybe most of the CP traffic might be moving at night, not exactly prime hours for catching trains, or (for some) being 100% alert.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Scooterb wrote:Its my understanding for now that NS cant use the new connector for existing trains, Buttttttttttttttt they have started a local that runs from Elkhart to Montpelier. I may be wrong so anybody in the know correct me. I have been down there several times and have not seen or heard CP getting stabbed at all for NS trains.
Personaly I think CP looks good with NS. It breaks up the monotiny of all the black. Also gives me more trains to see and photograph.
On the old Wabash Huntington line NS seems to fleet the trains in one direction, then the other.
well, while i'm somewhat pleased that when i go to indiana to railfan, i'll see a few more trains, i'm quite displeased with having a great amount of the traffic removed from my lines here in GR. Maybe i need to move no more than an hour away from the NS lines :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Well as long as CP continues to run the crap load of extras they've been running over CSX the past few weeks, I'll stay happy.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

RoushRules
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RoushRules »

So that explains all the CP Ive been seeing the past week or so.
I cruise by the Elkhart yard during my lunch and have seen one everyday since last week. Actually caught my first SOO today. Pulling up to the fuel pumps. Been chasing trains for 3 years or so and never caught one before.

leo28150
Deactivated

Unread post by leo28150 »

I have heard that the train from Elkhart and Montpelier is no longer running--something to do with too much train and not enough yard space in mtpel. There is also some whispers in the wind that the siding as Blakeslee is going to be lengthened; this siding is too short for today's train sizes, you figure that if a train is too big to fit there, they have to wait at Butler or Montpelier to pass another.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Does the CP's present contract, with virtually all traffic now routed over the NS except a 5 or 6 time a week X500 eastbound allow for any extra trains or second sections to be put on the CSX any more? Or did CP lose that option when they gave up on CSX and the only thing they can run on CSX is there X500?