CSX Job Shadow

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

CSX Job Shadow

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I need to do a job shadow for a class at school. I think it would be awesome to mentor a CSX employee in Wyoming yard. Anyone work for CSX or know anyone that works for CSX that could inquire about this for me?
Last edited by SD80MAC on Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: CSX Internship

Unread post by ~Z~ »

4884bigboy wrote:I need to an internship for a class at school. I think it would be awesome to mentor a CSX employee in Wyoming yard. Anyone work for CSX or know anyone that works for CSX that could inquire about this for me?
i know a couple of guys...not sure if they'd be up for internships though on their own without the company bringing it up first. I'd suggest just contacting CSX's yard tower, or maybe calling jacksonville...
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

nope

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

internship...not going to happen.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Maybe I should re-phrase that. Internships are really for College students. This would be more like a 1 day only deal. I have a buddy who mentored the CSX foreman of locomotives for a day. Lucky guy.......

rob
Railroadfan...fan

there was one

Unread post by rob »

There was one about 2 to 3 years ago. i don't know to to talk to but i would try to get a hald of trainmaster joe. he might be able to help you Rob

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

I believe what your talking about is a "job shadow". Your friend must know a lot about locomotives if mentored the locomotive foreman. Mentor is basically another word for teacher. The word internship is not confined to any age group, it's basically a "test period" as when a new worker is brought in from somewhere else to see if they'll fit the job, or to work temporarily.

If you were lucky enough, you may be able to get an "office" type job (such as the engine foreman, yard master, clerk, etc.) It's totally out of the question to shadow a T&E crew. They're not going to let you go to Chicago or Detroit on a road train and the last thing a yard crew wants is to have to watch a youngun to make sure he doesn't get sliced and diced while they're switching the yard.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Job shadow. That's the word I was looking for Mr. Tops. Of course I wouldn't be able to mentor a road crew or yard crew, to difficult and dangerous. I'd just like to be able to be around the yard or in the shops. It's probably a long shot, I know, but I'd really like to do it..........