PRR GG1 coming to Dearborn!

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: PRR GG1 coming to Dearborn!

Unread post by Ypsi »

The story I've heard goes that they had to remove some bricks from the wall as the track leading into the building is a decently sharp curve.. But stories from museum employees become skewed overtime and such.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

The story of the C&O 1602 being moved into the exhibition hall is interesting. This story is a classic example of what can happen when experience is lacking.

From The Henry Ford website:

"How did they get it into the museum?
1601 was brought up to the Detroit area “cold” (not under its own power) on the rear of a C&O freight train. It took three attempts to get 1601 into the museum. On the first attempt the locomotive derailed on the railroad tracks behind the museum. After removing its main and side rods it was time for a second attempt. This time the locomotive made it as far as the museum’s railroad door but was unable to pass through, even though the door had been widened to accommodate it. The problem was the switch just inside the building—as 1601 started to pass over this switch its articulation caused the cab to swing over much further than anticipated. On the third attempt, following temporary modifications and component removals, the Allegheny finally passed through the door and took its place in the museum’s main exhibition hall."

http://www.thehenryford.org/research/al ... otive.aspx

AWF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AWF »

TrainWatcher wrote:So, here's a tad bit of updated info on the PRR/Amtrak 4909 project. Seems a former contact at HFM says they are still planning on bringing 4909 to Dearborn. The reason for the recent clearing of the trolley and bus equipment on the Firemans (west) side of C&O 1601 was/is to begin re-planning stages of the railroad exhibit area to accomidate 4909 in the Museum and to re-position the 1601 next to it by building a 3rd spur inside the Museum area. Not sure if plans may have stalled, but he says they are working to try to get her here still.
Yeah, thats not happening.
Aaron

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AWF wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:So, here's a tad bit of updated info on the PRR/Amtrak 4909 project. Seems a former contact at HFM says they are still planning on bringing 4909 to Dearborn. The reason for the recent clearing of the trolley and bus equipment on the Firemans (west) side of C&O 1601 was/is to begin re-planning stages of the railroad exhibit area to accomidate 4909 in the Museum and to re-position the 1601 next to it by building a 3rd spur inside the Museum area. Not sure if plans may have stalled, but he says they are working to try to get her here still.
Yeah, thats not happening.
I agree, for as big of a pain that it was to get 1601 inside they are not going to move it if they don't have to.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

tsuetter
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tsuetter »

I was in Cooperstown Junction, NY this Tuesday. Both GG1's are still there but are buried in the woods North of the main line. The interchange does not appear to have been used in quite some time and the track may even be paved over. If I can post a photo, I will. It does not look like they are moving anytime soon.
Terry

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

tsuetter wrote:I was in Cooperstown Junction, NY this Tuesday. Both GG1's are still there but are buried in the woods North of the main line. The interchange does not appear to have been used in quite some time and the track may even be paved over. If I can post a photo, I will. It does not look like they are moving anytime soon.
Terry
Apparently the ROW/Track on which the GG1's used to sit on has been purchased, so they had to be moved.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

sp4380
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by sp4380 »

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Bottom text.

tsuetter
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tsuetter »

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Yikes she looks scary.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Shame she'll rust there. All that work they put in and she can't leave. Although PRR never had a big presence in Detroit, she'd make more sense in the Museum than B&LE 154 or IR 90.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

TrainWatcher wrote:Shame she'll rust there. All that work they put in and she can't leave. Although PRR never had a big presence in Detroit, she'd make more sense in the Museum than B&LE 154 or IR 90.
The B&LE locomotive I agree with. Although it is rare being one of two B&LE survivors it should be somewhere else like the RR museum of PA. IR #90 can be displayed anywhere because of its historical significance. Those little things spawned the bloodline that would create GEVO's and ALCO's and signalled the beginning of the end of steam.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Henry Ford GG1

Unread post by NS3322 »

Any updates on whatever happened to the Henry Ford's GG1? The last I heard was that it was still in New York, and CP refused to accept it for interchange.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: Henry Ford GG1

Unread post by MQT1223 »

You are correct.

It was actually NS I think that threw more of a fit because they would be moving it more then anyone else, but if CP interfered it wouldn't surprise me.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

MQT1223 wrote:It was actually NS I think that threw more of a fit because they would be moving it more then anyone else, but if CP interfered it wouldn't surprise me.
Do they still own it? Or did the group in NY regain ownership?

AWF
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AWF »

Do we still own it? Yes.
Anything new? No.
Aaron

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AWF wrote:Do we still own it? Yes.
Anything new? No.
Has trucking it ever been considered or loading on a flat car?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

MQT1223 wrote: Has trucking it ever been considered or loading on a flat car?
I don't think that is possible (maybe for a short distance move) since a GG1 weighs about 237 tons! Rail is probably the only option.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

NS3322 wrote:
I don't think that is possible (maybe for a short distance move) since a GG1 weighs about 237 tons! Rail is probably the only option.
Then how was it possible to truck a Big Boy?
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AMTK55 wrote:
NS3322 wrote:
Then how was it possible to truck a Big Boy?
Did you even see what that was loaded on? You couldn't move a GG1 from New York to Michigan like that. If you can move a Reading T1 on a flatcar you can move a GG1.