CSX's Huge Michigan Bridges - Questions

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

CSX's Huge Michigan Bridges - Questions

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Hello All.
I've got some questions about three of CSXT's largest bridges in Michigan, specifically the bridge over the Muskegon River in Newago, and the mainline bridges over the Thornapple River in Kentwood and Grand River at Grand Ledge. First of all, I'm looking for some basic information about each one - what is the specific "type" of each bridge? Building dates? things like that...

My second question basically just involves accessability, specifically of the Thornapple and Grand Ledge bridges. How easy are they to access? Public locations? Best times of year? Any photos anyone can find and post or link would be great too. Thanks!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I had a nice writeup made, but the computer network at work decided to crash about 5 minutes before being done. I've seen a number of responses to your post on the shortlines board, so i'll not talk about dates or type, since well, i'm not that knowledgeable on this.

Locations to railfan from:

Newaygo bridge... head north on M-37 and turn left(west) onto W Water St. You will pass under part of a girder section of the bridge on that road, and it turns into a park at that point. Has a walkway along some of the river, but good vantage points for the bridge. On the north side of the bridge, it is definately accessable...saw a van and people fishing there, but not sure how to exactly get down to that point...with lack of trains though as you mentioned, hard to see something in daylight.

Grand Ledge bridge... you can get to both sides, we'll call one east and one west, even though it's more northeast and southwest. To get to the east side, take M-100 to W Front St. Follow this(watch the speedbumps) to the end of the road..it deadends into a park. The park itself is great, has walls for the rockclimbers you can watch between trains. Photography is a bit hard though without crossing the ROW or getting very close to it. Some shots could be had at water level in the park though..wear good shoes, a little climbing in that area is needed. Example of photo:
http://www.railroadfan.com/images/grandledge2.jpg
As you can see, not so good for eastbounds in the afternoon, but probably fine for morning..that's taken with the old camera.

For afternoons, head to the west side of the bridge. Take M-100 to Jefferson St..head west 1/2 mile to Perry St...you'll enter an apartment complex. turn left and park at the end. you'll need to walk across a large lawn area, but it'll take you back to the bridge..there's lots of trails to walk around back here. Great for shots in the afternoon..plus, more traffic than newaygo :)
you can see the new wire fence along the bridge in this pic...
http://www.railroadfan.com/images/grandledge6.jpg

As for the thornapple bridge, not sure how accessable now that a lot of construction has been done there. Hope that all helps!
Last edited by ~Z~ on Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Here's a photo I took of the Grand Ledge bridge at River Level in 2002. This is on the southeast side of the bridge, next to the ledges. Fall is the best time to take pictures here. Just look at all the trees on the side...
If you want to shoot pictures from an angle like this, then bring some boots, and be very careful when climbing down the hill.

I need to get back out here soon...

I have pics of the Newago Bridge as well. If you'd like to see them, then shoot me an email @ GTW4070@Gmail.com.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

A reply to my own message!: Just with information I received from the shortlines board which I don't want to get lost forever once it drops off the end of that page:

Newaygo 536 feet. Seven spans built 1907.
Grand Ledge 466 feet in five spans. 1904.
Thornapple River 570 feet. Five spans dating from 1887 to 1937.
The former High Bridge up north was a 1,170 foot steel viaduct.
Avoca ex CSX and still there is 640 feet built 1904 and higher than Grand Ledge.
Hamilton 413 foot pile tressle dates to 1917.
The St. Joe swing bridge is dated 1904.

Thanks for the help!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

the info will be safe here...available in this archive for ages to come :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Rick M
Railroadfan...fan

Michgian Rail bridges

Unread post by Rick M »

I photo historic bridges all over the midwest but if your talking lower Michigan I am suprised nobody mentioned the two multi span Monroe Bridges. One of them is pin-connected which is very old and rare. I appreciate all the info on the Newago and Grand ledge bridges. I saw them a few years ago but need to view them again. The following cities have some cool rail bridges although they may not be in service. Bay City, Saginaw, Lowell, South Rockwood, Grand Rapids, Dundee, Detroit of course, Port Huron and an amazing deck truss south of Avoca, MI. Several come to mind for Ohio but are worth visiting. Toldedo, Napolean, Defiance, Fremont, Massilon, Cleveland, Port clinton, Youngstown and Grand Rapids, OH. I am sure many of you are familair with these but thought I would mention.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

There's a shot I took of the Thornapple Bridge in June of 2004. I was standing on the 48th street bridge. Seems to be the best spot there now that the old railroad bridge over the road is being replaced.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/