1225 Arrives

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
patrick
Railroadfan...fan

1225 Arrives

Unread post by patrick »

Although I missed the 1225 coming into bay city,( i over slept), I did watch it all day long in Bay city. I have taken about 27 pics of it and will have those back next week hopefully. Also today Gregg and I went around town and watch trains. We went to the LSRC yard, and Consumers in Bay City. We then went out M13 towards Saginaw and caught the Y12214 coming over the PM/C&O bridge. We went to saginaw yard and then caught the yard job working with the sled 9197? and 1548 and 1523. Greg got photos there. Also there was two coal trains the the yard, the first is a western train and the second was an eastern train that had a pair of AC4400CW's on the head end tied down. Q330 was doubleing their train up and had BN 9543 and BNSF 9537 off the western coal train for power. In the yard was:
BNSF 9412
BNSF 5610
CSXT 581
CSXT 9136
CSXT 9250

Q322 Was waiting to come into the yard and has 8317 and 8770 for power, both csxt units. We then headed back home to my house. Gregs dad has decied that because he has already been on a train so many times, that I should have the chance to ride one, so he has givin me his ticket. i'm not quite sure how to say thank you enough to he and his wife, But I sure as heck am going to find a way.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

That is great Patrick I am sure you and Gregg will have a super time tommorow. Will be looking forward to Greggs and your pictures.
This is going to be a heck of a month for you.

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

I will indeed have pics asap

MMRR-24
Shortline Fan

Unread post by MMRR-24 »

To bad it is a four hour drive from my house:evil: ..........
Other wise dad and I would have chased her :cry: ..........
Well have fun :!:

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Okay, here's how my day went. Click on the thumbnails for a full sized picture.

Mom and I left East Lansing around 9:00, we got to Durand, stopped at McDonalds to pick up breakfast, and then went to the depot. CN Crews were doing some work to the Amtrak Platforms when we got there. Right as I got out of the car, I heard a horn, so I ran over to the West side platform, and got these two shots of CN #480 coming around the wye:
From what we heard on the scanner, they were supposed to meet #281 at Gaines.
Anyway, my mom spoke to one of the CN Workers, and he told her that we had missed the 1225 by One hour. :x So we hightail it to Bay City to see if we can get ahead of them.

We got to the yard, and found a few people already waiting, including a few of 1225's Crew members. I asked him where they were, and he told me they were going through Saginaw. So we head south of town to watch them.
As we were heading over one of the railroad crossings, I noticed a headlight to the south, so we pulled over, and found Lake States #3504, 181, and 1280 heading north with about 17 or so cars of general freight:
Followed by LSRC 698 and 381 with a stone train:
And right behind the stone train were the passenger cars for the excursion!
I'll never forget this train! It was such a treat to finally see and hear those Alcos. :D

After viewing this train, we headed south of town to watch 1225 come in. We met Paul W and Avance from the shortlines board, and had a nice chat with them before the 1225 came whistling by.
Once trains start to get into town, they have to Slow WAY down, and this gave us enough time to get ahead of them at Salzburg Avenue.
Nice to see PERE MARQUETTE back on the tender again:
Thanks to the speed restrictions in town, we were able to get ahead of them again, and beat them to Wenona Yard. After arriving in the yard, the locomotive began building the train for the weekend's excursions:
After assembling the consist, the 1225 was taken north of the yard to be watered. Patrick and I followed them up and watched them for a bit before going back to the yard.
Here's a few Artsy B&W Shots I took while 1225 was getting her water:
Crew Members were also taking the time to inspect and service the locomotive. Here's one of the crew members looking at one of 1225's 69" Drivers:
After this, we went back to Patrick's house for a bit. We dropped my mom and Patrick's mother off, and then went to Saginaw to look at the CSX Yard there.
We then went out M13 towards Saginaw and caught the Y122-14 coming over the PM/C&O bridge south of Bay City.
And here it is:
We then went to Saginaw Yard and caught the yard job working with RCO sled 9197 and CSX GP15-1 #1548 and GP15T #1523.
We Also met EMD ACE Steve up here as well.
BNSF 5610 and 9412, as well as a few other CSX units can be seen in the background of several pictures:
BNSF 9543 and 9537 shuffle around in the Inbound yard, and begin doubling up Train Q330-14 for the run to Port Huron.
A few more views of the GP15s and RCO Sled:
After this we went back to Bay City for the night.
Hey Patrick, thanks again for showing me around! That was one of the best days I've had all year.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

I hope everyone enjoyed!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Didn't enjoy at all.
ahaha, j/k...thanks for taking the time to get these on tim's site and linked over here.. Nice series.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com