Kalamazoo/B-1-G Notes

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Kalamazoo/B-1-G Notes

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Anyone around the Kalamazoo Area, NS local job B-1-G has been making some strange moves as of late. I'm referring to Tuesdays and Thursdays, when the job has them operating west on the old MC main to Doagiac, and sometimes Lawton and Niles. Formerly, this job used to leave Botsford Yard following Amtrak train #351 westward during the late morning. More recently, however, they've been leaving sometimes after Amtrak #351, sometimes after #353, and other times it appears whenever they please. Note that this is based off visual notes and hearing their horns go by the WMU campus - I rarely have my scanner out to listen in on whats going on. Anyways, since at least mid-September, the job has been operating solely with former Conrail GP40-2s #3070 (CR Quality paint) and #3069 (NS horsehead paint, repainted at Altoona this past winter). CR 3070 is always on the west end, the power switched at the end of the run, and #3069 leads the train back east. Typically, this job operates with about 10-15 cars, usually boxcars, loaded bulkhead flats with lumber aboard, and occasionally tank cars of juice for Welsh's in Lawton. B-1-G on Tuesday, October 26, went west with 3070/3069 at about 3:50PM, with only 5 boxcars in tow. They came back east around dusk. Today's (Oct 28) version saw them getting clearence to make the crossovers at Botsford shortly after the passing of Amtrak #353, which departed the Kalamazoo depot at about 2:07PM. B-1-G was past BO Tower at 2:17PM and past the WMU campus at 2:21PM. CR 3070 was in the lead and looking pretty in contrast to the radiant fall colors. Shiny NS #3069 was right behind as usual, followed by 11cars total going west, including a BNSF insulated boxcar, regular 50' boxcars, and three loaded lumber flats.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

any pictures of B1G going past the fall colors? Since my site is called the "B1G - The Big Train" and all..wouldn't mind having some more pictures of it :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com