Favorite Railfan Locations?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Favorite Railfan Locations?

Unread post by Scooterb »

OK let hear about some of your favorite location or location's that you like and why. I have quite a few as you can tell by my trip reports.
Scooterb

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

Fostoria and toledo has to be the best. but then again, I aint gotten out much either.....

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Favorite Railfan Locations?

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Scooterb wrote:OK let hear about some of your favorite location or location's that you like and why. I have quite a few as you can tell by my trip reports.
Scooterb
first off, patrick, tell us WHY you like fostoria and toledo....

well shoot..had a long response typed up, call came in here at work, got busy, then computer froze and didn't get to send. (can't view non-charter approved websites during calls). This post will keep getting editted during the day :) Anyway, let's see if i can retype what i thought:

South Bend - By far, one of my favorites. It's probably the busiest place for me with the shortest driving time. Was down there just this past weekend, and met up with ScooterB. Ended up staying for about 11 hours, 57 trains, that's a train every 11 minutes approx. NS sees the higher amount of trains here, with some foreign power, but a large number of dash-9's leading. CN also runs through here with a wide variety of power. I enjoy the variations in speeds, between NS's fast intermodal and Amtrak, to slower locals and ones on the CN line starting from a stop at times. Photo locations are numerous, with plenty of space near the ROW, but scenery can be lacking. The are very few powerlines, but quite a bit of rubble from old buildings and trash. The locals also present some caution.

Grand Rapids - since it's here in town, makes it a local favorite. Nice to sit back and relax with the regulars at Judd St and shoot the breeze. Judd st is at the edge of Wyoming Yard, making it possible to see the engine movements within view. Not a lot of traffic on this line though, and less with CP moving to the line through South Bend.

Lansing is a nearby fav... CN and CSX cross here at the Trowbridge diamond.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

I wike it cause I's gets to goes theres wihs muah buddy......lmao ehehehehe........I really like it cause its got 2 big time railroads crossing at the same place....(and cause the bar's right there too)....trains and drinks... who could ask for more

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I like the end of Judd St. at the east end of Wyoming Yard. You can see what's going on in the yard, the locomotive shops, and inbound and outbound trains.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Here's Dave C.'s post:

First, some local spots(cause they are closer):
Port Huron.. steady(and occasionaly slow) action coming in and out of the Paul M Tellier(was St Clair) tunnel, with a set of 3 tri-light signals for westbounds apporaching the CN(GTW) Tunnel Yard. This line see's between 20 and 30 trains a day. The ONLY legal place to watch trains near the tunnel or the yard is the 16th street Amtrak depot.

Emmett. Easy to read signals at both ends of the passing siding, visable(durring the day, binoch's are helpfull) from the M-19 crossing. a street parraleles the CN main to the north and the south, with a parking lot at the park(also trackside), and at the Strip bar(not a good place to park after 9pm). There is a truck stop just a minute away for bathroom breaks in the winter(porta johns at da park in the summer), and a party store and cafe just feet south of the tracks..
I have others..but will be long..will post later...
Dave c
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

My favorites:
1: Durand (of course :) )
2: East Lansing/Trowbridge Junction (up to 50 trains a day just a quick walk from home :) )
3: Joliet, Illinois (I've only been there once [February 2003], but I saw a HUGE amount of trains pass while I was there.
4: Battle Creek: I've been there twice: The first time was in 2003 (on the same day as my first and, so far, only Joliet visit), when I was waiting for Amtrak for a trip to Chicago. While Waiting there, I saw one NS freight, Five GTW/CN freights, the eastbound Amtrak International, and, finally, the train I was waiting for, Amtrak's Westbound Lake Cities (Train #353) to Chicago.
The second time was on April 10th of this year: 6 GT/CN freights, one Amtrak.

I have not been anywhere else. I should get out more shouldn't I.

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Ok to answer my own post If I want to sit and relax NS Chicago Line. Wauseon OH. To Edgerton OH. Busy Main line action in early morning to about noon then from about 5:00 pm through the night. Plenty of areas to park and just enjoy the action. About an hour away from home so it makes for a quick trip
Butler IN. Just started hanging out in this area the last 6 months. found some nice areas to sit but have to pay more attention because of the diamond in town and the 2 wyes. and choosing your shots. Some nice shots to be had in town and on the old Wabash line. About 11/2 hours from home. Can also getr some CP action.
Fostoria for an extream kind of day no rest constantly moving real brain workout kinda area trying to get to the best location and not miss to many trains. Never know what you will see leading and if it does get slow the locals can keep you entertaind. About 2 hours from home.
For somthing a little different will head up to Lansing or Durand a couple times a year or down to Deshler.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

1. Elkhart, Indiana. I like to park on the east end of the Amtrak station, getting a good view of about half of the east bound signals, and a decent look into the yard. Never had a problem with cops or locals sitting there, and the traffic density rivals Port Huron on a busy day (busy day for the tunnel in PH, that is).
2. Chesterton, Indiana. Been here once. Very high density of traffic, especially around and after sunset, or so it was the day I was there. This would be to the west of my first. Both on the NS Chicago line. I'd like to go here again, but haven't had a chance yet.
3. Durand. Where else can I have the opportunity to see 3 different railroads all on home rails, all without moving and remaining in that nice small town atmosphere?
4. Port Huron. Close to home, best grades and largest speed changes I've seen in an area that seems so flat...

MMRR-24
Shortline Fan

Unread post by MMRR-24 »

I like the end of Judd St. at the east end of Wyoming Yard. You can see what's going on in the yard, the locomotive shops, and inbound and outbound trains.
Yeap!!! That is the best place to watch trains (that I know of) in Western Michigan! I do like to railfan in Belding chaseing Mid-Michigan.
Ohh, and Green Bay is packed full of trains to! 8)

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

1. Durand Michigan-great depot, nice people, nice restaurants and a nice quiet setting, although lacking train volume.

2. Bellevue Ohio-where i'm from and home to a huge NS yard
3. NE Junction- awesome railfan hangout in New Haven Indiana
near Fort Wayne. can be observed from a parking lot of a cement manufacturer although photography is minimal

4. Fostoria-nuff said
5. Marion Ohio-historic museum and 2 diamonds within yards of each other. what more could you ask for
6. Waterloo Indiana-where can you see a van train roll by at 70 mph
only a few feet from you
7. Trowbridge

skrail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by skrail »

1> hughart, cuz i work there

2> elkhart, cuz im working to there now! 9 and have extra car there!!)

3> napanee,ind. cuz its 25 min from elkhart, where im working too now..lol

4> schoolcraft,, close to home, good company w/ super builder...

5> anywhere within 40 miles of elkhart,,as i repeat.. cuz im working to there, and have extra car there!
Scott-NS Imagineer

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

LMAO! Zack beat me to it..but hear are some others:
Delray..busiest junction in the Detroit Area..hosting CN, CSX, NS, CP, and the CR shared assets(me thinks). And it also has the last active CSX tower in Michigan! It is on Dearborn Ave..in the shadow of I-75, and you park in a little gravel lot alongside the entrance to the cement plant. There are around 60 trains a day there(IIRC).
Richmond:
On the GTW's MtC sub(which sees just over 10-12 trains a day..less on weekends). The best spot to sit and watch is the parking lot on the east side of the tracks..north of M-19, across the street from the Lincon crap(Downtown Richmond).

Imlay City:
On the Flint sub(GTW)...there is a parking lot between the tracks and the beack of the down town businesses, wich can be accessed by either the west entrance off Almont street, or off 3rd street(you turn south off 3rd when you see the depot back by the tracks). For the best view for pic's..park closer to Almont street, cause if ya park down by the depot, there is a chain link fence.
The Flint sub hosts between 20 and 30 trains a day.
Thats all for now.
Dave C