Delray Connecting Bottle Trains (Nathan M-3)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Delray Connecting Bottle Trains (Nathan M-3)

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

The bottle trains run as long as the mill is operating ( 24-7 ). The trains seem to run about every hour. The best way to catch one is to wait at Belanger Park until one shows up.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

I got to spend quite a bit of time working over there last year. Its a shame the place is not railfan friendly, as alot is going on. DC running steel back and forth, NS and CN moving coils, USS moving slabs and coils, Nicholson Terminal shifting cars and most of the stuff is first generation switchers.

I would get your DC photos now, before they finish completely folding it into USS proper.

jggilmore7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jggilmore7 »

"So....Is there any schedule to these DC bottle trains? If no schedule, about how many trips do they typically make per day?"

No set schedule, runs when the furnaces need to tap. Too many factors for any set schedule: How many BF's operating (1, 2 or 3), how much "throughput" are they getting at each furnace, operating conditions, tap times (vary), maintenance issues, etc. As other posters have pointed out, they do normally run regularly, only not on any set time schedule.

If you plan to stand at the grade crossing or take close photographs, it might be a good idea to have an escape plan in case of derailment. Or at least that's what I used to think when I stood close by and pondered what I'd do if the bottles bit the ballast. Probably not much you can do though...

http://www.assaultweb.net/forums/showth ... p?t=135504

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?2,2152799

JG

Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Robertrains »

12Bridge wrote:I got to spend quite a bit of time working over there last year. Its a shame the place is not railfan friendly, as alot is going on. DC running steel back and forth, NS and CN moving coils, USS moving slabs and coils, Nicholson Terminal shifting cars and most of the stuff is first generation switchers.

I would get your DC photos now, before they finish completely folding it into USS proper.

I am so glad I discovered "Belanger Park!" :D When I first went there, 11-30-13, I was amazed!!!! :o I didn't see a "Bottle Train" until 1-27-14 (pic posted─my 3rd time there). I next went, 4-6-14, to discover that the guard was in the shack and the park was not "Free!" Amazingly I didn't go back until one year later! The "Bottle Train" is the only one we saw this time! It's really awesome with the
Lava being 3,000 degrees!!!! :shock: I have not seen much of DC, but hope their engines will remain for a while!

Can the Nicholson Terminal be seen from public property? It is just amazing to be able to have "Access" to what's here!!!! :mrgreen:
NT Website: http://www.nicholson-terminal.com/maps.php
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

I dont think there is anyway to catch NT publicly unless you happen to catch them bringing an interchange car back across Great Lakes Ave.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

12Bridge wrote:I dont think there is anyway to catch NT publicly unless you happen to catch them bringing an interchange car back across Great Lakes Ave.

Looks like an SW1. Those have been around a lot of years...around 70ish.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:
12Bridge wrote:I dont think there is anyway to catch NT publicly unless you happen to catch them bringing an interchange car back across Great Lakes Ave.

Looks like an SW1. Those have been around a lot of years...around 70ish.
The profile of an SW1 is unmistakable to me. They were built between December of 38 and November of 53. First switcher to use the EMD 567 V6 prime mover that generated 600hp. The short body, the long decks, the sandbox on the front... all trademarks of the SW1. Be curious to know the history of this little guy. I will say its probably a later SW1 since the front windows are flat on top and not curved with the roof of the cab, which dates it after 1950. I'm surprised it still has a single beam headlight and not a dual beam that nearly all EMD switchers got later in life. Good to see its still making its keep so long after she was built! Most of the oldest diesels operating in the country are SW1's. Only one I know of that's older is a 1937 SC in Pennsylvania that was re-engine at some point. Love seeing diesels built during the end of the steam era in service, especially SW1's. This one looks to be in pretty good shape externally.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

It'd be cool to see an SW1 next to an MP15...same basic design!

Or maybe an SW1 and a SD70ACe.

Can't quite reach back and do that with GEs... :lol:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

That ^^^^^^^^ SW 1 came from RR&A in River Rouge ( Formerly Whitehead & Kales , Same location ) . Before that, it came out of the woods up north somewhere. It was providing power for a small saw mill. Some where I have frame number. I ran the engine a few times while working there as well as built a Ho scale model of same. ( in my photos ). It was sold to Nic's after RR&A closed up in 1997. They also had a trackmobile that sold for more than double what the engine sold for.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MQT3001 wrote:It'd be cool to see an SW1 next to an MP15...same basic design!

Or maybe an SW1 and a SD70ACe.

Can't quite reach back and do that with GEs... :lol:
Internally maybe, but cosmetically there are VERY big differences between an SW1 and an MP15.

Considering that NS used to have SW1's, and that Amtrak still has one seeing one next to an SD70ACe would be neat. When NS shipped Lehigh Valley #112 and PRR 9206 to Ringoes NJ back in 2011 they no doubt passed many of their much larger and modern counterparts.
M.D.Bentley wrote:That ^^^^^^^^ SW 1 came from RR&A in River Rouge ( Formerly Whitehead & Kales , Same location ) . Before that, it came out of the woods up north somewhere. It was providing power for a small saw mill. Some where I have frame number. I ran the engine a few times while working there as well as built a Ho scale model of same. ( in my photos ). It was sold to Nic's after RR&A closed up in 1997. They also had a trackmobile that sold for more than double what the engine sold for.
No surprise that the trackmobile sold for more, its half the size and can pull nearly as much as an SW1.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

A Trackmobile can't pull anything close to the amount an SW1 can pull. It's not about horsepower, it's about weight.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

mercer1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mercer1 »

M.D.Bentley wrote:That ^^^^^^^^ SW 1 came from RR&A in River Rouge ( Formerly Whitehead & Kales , Same location ) . Before that, it came out of the woods up north somewhere. It was providing power for a small saw mill. Some where I have frame number. I ran the engine a few times while working there as well as built a Ho scale model of same. ( in my photos ). It was sold to Nic's after RR&A closed up in 1997. They also had a trackmobile that sold for more than double what the engine sold for.
I for one would be extremely interested in learning the frame number of the SW1 that worked at RR&A and now Nicholson Term & Dock. Historically its been accepted as being a former Great Lakes Steel unit, the only question being, which one ??

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

I'll dig into it again. The frame number that is. I also have the original horn from that unit.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Back in 2008, I snapped this photo of the Nicholson's SW1 switching gons in their slip:

And a photo of one of the bottle trains passing one of the finishing buildings in Ecorse along the river:

Delray Connecting also used to have #003, an SW1. Do they still operate it?

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

https://www.thedieselshop.us/DCRR.HTML
Gives a builder number but not if its in service or not.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

mercer1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mercer1 »

M.D.Bentley wrote:I'll dig into it again. The frame number that is. I also have the original horn from that unit.
Curious how that ' investigation' is going..??

Bruce

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

mercer1 wrote:
M.D.Bentley wrote:I'll dig into it again. The frame number that is. I also have the original horn from that unit.

Bruce
THE WIFE IS FURIOUS ! Boxes of pics all over the place. No type of system , which might help. Don't loose hope...............

mercer1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mercer1 »

M.D.Bentley wrote:
mercer1 wrote:

Bruce
THE WIFE IS FURIOUS ! Boxes of pics all over the place. No type of system , which might help. Don't loose hope...............

You're not thinking of the Alanson and Petosky engine that went to Mineral Range then Vreeland, are you ??

Bruce

wagnew0923
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wagnew0923 »

Question on these trains.

How long can the consist get? Bottle trains I have only seen 3 or 4 cars long. I figure when they are switching ore or coal it can be even longer.

Are all the locomotives remote operated or do they have engineers on some of them.

What is the most as SW 1 can pull by itself?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Is this an accurate listing of Delray Connecting locomotives and customers?
Attachments
wikidelray.JPG