CSX Leases

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
markvz
Railroadfan...fan

CSX Leases

Unread post by markvz »

I'd like to continue this discussion here.

Apparently, the Lake State railway won the bidding on the Flint sub. This includes the Midland branch and the short line to Essexville.

Also, the Ludington branch is to be taken by a consortium of Lake State, Progressive Rail, and Farmrail. I'm not familiar with the Ludington branch so I'm not sure what all it entails.

Before the thread got deleted on the other board, an LSRC employee made a comment that this was *not* a lease. Has the LSRC outright purchased the Flint sub from CSX?

Will the LSRC acquire more Alcos and MLW's to run the new lines, or will they have to turn to EMD power?

Is this bad news for the HESR, as another shortline will be competing for business?

This is interesting indeed!

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: CSX Leases

Unread post by ~Z~ »

MarkVZ wrote:Also, the Ludington branch is to be taken by a consortium of Lake State, Progressive Rail, and Farmrail. I'm not familiar with the Ludington branch so I'm not sure what all it entails.
I'd really like to find out what all this means as well. I live just off of MP5.5 in Comstock Park, at the beginning of the current Ludington Sub..wow, it feels odd to refer to it like that. I had posted before that maybe one will take over Manistee to Walhalla, where there is a small interchange point with a wye. Another could take Ludington to Baldwin, and the third run from Baldwin back to Grand Rapids. That's pretty much how the current operations run, with the Manistee train sometimes going to Baldwin, and the GR-Baldwin run going over to Walhalla at times. I hope they'll use their radios more than CSX does, but i'm doubting it since it'll probably stay dark territory. Anyone with further information yet?>
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

markvz
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by markvz »

I can't comment on the LSRC radio use, as I've never used a scanner. The LSRC operations in my hometown are pretty regular and easy to follow without a radio.

I wonder how the LSRC will re-structure to accomodate the new Flint sub. This is a lot of new property for them! I wonder if they will move their maintenence facility south from Alpena., or simply use a new one further south in conjunction with Alpena.

As an LSRC railfan, it's really exciting to see them expand. I never thought it would happen. It almost seems strange for those Alcos to venture out over former Class I trackage.

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

I have heard that the LSRC put up a HUGE amount of money to the csxt for the flint line. This was to prevent the FRA or whoever from forcing the lsrc to merge into the RA. RA wants the LSRC bad but the LSRC wont sell. This should mean many more locos coming online. will add several new jobs to the area. I for one will be applying for one as soon as I know for sure that it will be a go. One thing is for sure, if the LSRC gets it we should be seeing a few more alcos coming our way soon....but god only knows from where...

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Patrick wrote:I have heard that the LSRC put up a HUGE amount of money to the csxt for the flint line. This was to prevent the FRA or whoever from forcing the lsrc to merge into the RA. RA wants the LSRC bad but the LSRC wont sell. This should mean many more locos coming online. will add several new jobs to the area. I for one will be applying for one as soon as I know for sure that it will be a go. One thing is for sure, if the LSRC gets it we should be seeing a few more alcos coming our way soon....but god only knows from where...
I like the sound of this! I just hope they leave the signal system intact. I wonder what the new Alcos would be?? :?:

Railnut
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by Railnut »

Well, the LS could buy the 2 active U23B's off RA. I know they are not Alco's..but for alco fans, GE's are the next bet thing I guess. But maybe the LS could get some C630's or 6 axle alco's or GE's..like the HESR's C30-7's....I dunno!
Dave C

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

Its unlikely that the LSRC will get 6 axles as they do not fit into the scheme of things. They can't be run on the swing bridge in bay city. they'd be stuck in saginaw. It's likely we'll see more M420W's coming from other places or maybe some older GE power. I've heard, and I know dave and I already talked about this, that if alcos were not available, that they'd go with GE power as its maintence and parts fit well into the alco world. They use similar parts including but not limited to the electrical. The LSRC has said before and I quote. as long as alcos or GE's are available, you will not see an EMD on their system. They are totally different from anything they currently have. I know NRE has a huge fleet of alcos in storage including the 2100 series CN HR616 cowl units. They also have a large number of M420's. I'd look to see more former Cn units coming this way in the next few months. Personally, I'd like to see them buy a couple C420's that currently roam in the US on shortlines. Maybe a couple RS11's. anything new will be a welcome change. If its true the LSRC got csxt from baycity south to flint and west to midland, than I'm very excited for the future.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Ya know what I'd like to see LSRC get?? A C430. Those are my favorite Centuries!

markvz
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by markvz »

Perhaps we're finding out why the LSRC is bringing more of the new 420W's to operational status than originally planned. I belive there are 3 more of them plus #1195 on the dead line at Alpena. I think we can expect more of these to leave to dead line soon.

Someone posted that the LSRC will be going to Flint starting on October 1.

Also, it has been posted that the line from Flint north is to be *leased,* with the CSX holding onto the Mt. Morris siding. This conflicts with what was posted earlier. Hopefully we will soon find out the truth of the matter.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

So does this mean we'll be seeing LSRC Alco's and other power in Wyoming Yard? :?: :?:
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I would doubt that LSRC and Alco's would be staying in Wyoming Yard... but then again, maybe for some repairs, or dropoffs and pickups, they may need to stop by Wyoming Yard. Definately will be interesting to say the least.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

I won't look to see any alcos on the far west side of the state. Farm rail proabally will use their own power there. The lsrc is proabally going to handle car repairs or track issues. The reason, mark, that they are returning the 2 parts unit M420's to servies plus the 1195 soon, is because the northern district has had a huge traffic increase. When they take over bay city csxt that in its self will be another daily train between bay city and saginaw to service all the daily customers such as omnisource scrap, Essroc cement. Not to mention they are going to need 3 or four good units per coal train to pull them or they won't make it into town with the train without doubling ridge road and the curve coming into town. both curves are uphill both ways to a percentage. You proabally won't see the RS3's pulling the consumers trains by themselves any time soon. I emailed NREX out of curosity a couple days ago, and they told me they have around 30 servicable alcos and MLW's on the property for sale. They include modles such as C424's, M420W's HR616"s which are 6-axle full width cowl units previously owned by the CN and a slew of other used alcos. Though the idea of the LSRC getting 6-axles seems odd to me, with the new accusition of the saginaw sub to flint and the bay city coal trains, I think it could be in the future. The only issue with the 6's would be they would be locked into saginaw and the Bay City I due to swing bridge restrictions over the saginaw river unless they used the HESR bridge to the west. I think we may see a few move 420's coming and though I'd like to see some older alcos such as more RS series or more century series, I would highly doubt it due to the fact the M420's seem to be working well.

markvz
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by markvz »

What is the weight limit of the swing bridge over the Saginaw River in Bay City?

OwlCaboose2853
Railroadfan...fan

CSX lines for sale

Unread post by OwlCaboose2853 »

CSX lines for sale
Tuesday, June 28, 2005By Ed Ronco
The Grand Rapids Press

CSX employees along two rail lines are getting ready for big changes.

The lines -- one from Grand Rapids to Ludington and another from West Olive to Fremont -- are for sale.

Deals appear to be in the works for both, although nothing is final.

The lines are called "subs," the rail equivalent of interstate connector highways such as Int. 196.

The two subs up for sale comprise 175 of the 812 miles of track that CSX, a Florida-based railroad freight firm, operates in the state.

Under deals yet to be negotiated, Marquette Rail Corporation is expected to pick up the Ludington sub, 127 miles of track going north from Grand Rapids to Ludington and Manistee.

Rest of article here:
http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/i ... 313830.xml

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

The restriction for the LSRC swing bridge isn't weight but all 6 axle locos are not permitted on it due to the thight curve on the approach. I'll double check my timetable later.

markvz
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by markvz »

The south end approach does look a little sharp...

markvz
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by markvz »

How often is the swing bridge used anyways? As far as railroad traffic and boat traffic?

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

swung twice a day 5 days a week once for going over and once for the return of the csxt.

Al
Railroadfan...fan

LSRC

Unread post by Al »

LSRC will not be getting six axle trucks, are looking for 2 Alco's. Tawas is dueing interviews for more people.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Lease Page

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

I've added a page of all the details to my website. I'll be adding the facts as they come, and using the page as a timeline of events when the changeovers start taking place. Visit it at: http://www.midwestrailfan.com/lineleases.html

Mr. Tops