Scenic places to railfan?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
fr8fiend
Railroadfan...fan

Scenic places to railfan?

Unread post by fr8fiend »

Hi all,

I have a couple questions for you Michigan railfans:

1. I’m wondering if anyone has recommendations for scenic places to go watch & photograph trains? I’m in Lansing, but anywhere within a reasonable driving distance is welcome.

For example, the CSX bridge in Grand Ledge. With the bridge, woods, and river, I imagine one could get some really cool shots here. Are there any other picturesque spots like this?

2. On the topic of the bridge in Grand Ledge, is it still in use by CSX? If so, does anyone have any insight on the best time of day to head out there and see a train or two? I’m okay with waiting a few hours, but would rather not wait around all day for nothing.

Thanks in advance!
Fr8fiend

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Scenic places to railfan?

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Grand Ledge only has 3 regular trains on CSX but they are fairly predictable. You will reliably see L303 in the 13:00-15:00 time slot and L302 in the 19:00-22:00 time slot. It also regular sees L304, but they are almost always going through Grand Ledge well after dark.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

In Lansing, My favorite spot is Nancy Moore Park in East Lansing (Or Okemos). If you find a gap in the trees, you can get some nice photos.

Image14 of 30 by Charlie Ohlendorf, on Flickr
Ironically bad at Small Talk :(

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

The New Richmond area is probably the most scenic area on the west side of the state if you want to shoot a CSX train, Amtrak, or a coal train.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Andy24
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Andy24 »

On the Plymouth Sub, there’s the Thornapple Bridge where L303 and L302 crosses daily. Little bit of a drive from Lansing
Average railfan reporter on Grand Rapids Sub, Plymouth Sub, and Area Short Lines Railroads.

Follow my channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/@ATARP24

fr8fiend
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fr8fiend »

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!