New siding-business in Traverse City???

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New siding-business in Traverse City???

Unread post by TC Man »

David Collins wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:23 am
AARR wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:21 am
Why build a run around siding there when there is already one in Grawn just a few miles south?
I don’t know much about the trackage in Traverse City, so forgive my ignorance, but isn’t there one in TC as well?
There are 3- one in Williamsburg (10 miles north), 1 about 2 miles north in Boardman yard, and another at the depot. Those require 2 mile (for the closest) shove moves- unsafe that distance especially across a congested 5 lane road crossing.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

DaveO wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:51 am
the containers I see in the promo (the actual) photos are 20 foot forklift able.
those aren't double stackable.
edit: they can't be fork lifted out of the bottom of a well car.
They have 40' and 53' on the property also- depends on what they are building them into.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

AARR wrote:
Why build a run around siding there when there is already one in Grawn just a few miles south?

Tracks are "severed" south of beacon so you can't get there. Yes easy fix but they are still cut to separate the railroad from the rail bikes for now.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

TY for the information.
GLC 392 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:01 am
AARR wrote:

Tracks are "severed" south of beacon so you can't get there. Yes easy fix but they are still cut to separate the railroad from the rail bikes for now.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

GLC 392 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:01 am
AARR wrote:

They reconnected the severed tracks (aka put the stick of rail back in). Just looked again 10 minutes ago. They now removed a stick by the M37 overpass where the bike lady has to turn around her bikes.

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

AARR wrote:
Presently there is a rail-bike company using the trackage from the run around in Grawn to the US37 bridge (before Beitner rd.). That track has not been maintained since the last train out in the mid teens. Several spots are looking quite poorly. Tracks from Cass road south are listed "Exempt" and probably will never see a train again. Tracks at the former Cherry Growers (now Go Go Squeeze) have been long since covered with dirt and asphalt. South of that, where they briefly stored the passenger cars, is well overgrown now with pine trees. I deliver to Box Pop now and again. They turn those little shipping containers into whatever the customer decides. Restuarants, bars, offices etc. They do all the fab and customizing there including paint. Fantastic products they put out and their stuff ships everywhere. I inquired to one of the foreman's on shipping in and out via rail. He mentioned something about it then (last fall) that they were talking about doing it as quite a number of their containers were heading out west to Cali and other States. Their orders keep piling up too. Don't think their business will be shutting down anytime soon. Considering the shear amount of containers I see coming in and out of there, rail seems like a good option. Even if it's only a car or two a week, traffic is traffic for the railfan!
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

MIGN-Todd wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:16 pm
AARR wrote:
Presently there is a rail-bike company using the trackage from the run around in Grawn to the US37 bridge (before Beitner rd.). That track has not been maintained since the last train out in the mid teens. Several spots are looking quite poorly. Tracks from Cass road south are listed "Exempt" and probably will never see a train again. Tracks at the former Cherry Growers (now Go Go Squeeze) have been long since covered with dirt and asphalt. South of that, where they briefly stored the passenger cars, is well overgrown now with pine trees. I deliver to Box Pop now and again. They turn those little shipping containers into whatever the customer decides. Restuarants, bars, offices etc. They do all the fab and customizing there including paint. Fantastic products they put out and their stuff ships everywhere. I inquired to one of the foreman's on shipping in and out via rail. He mentioned something about it then (last fall) that they were talking about doing it as quite a number of their containers were heading out west to Cali and other States. Their orders keep piling up too. Don't think their business will be shutting down anytime soon. Considering the shear amount of containers I see coming in and out of there, rail seems like a good option. Even if it's only a car or two a week, traffic is traffic for the railfan!
That and inbound empty containers as well (per GP-35 earlier in the thread). Since they are finishing a large new manufacturing building and additional grading outside, they appear ro be greatly expanding. All owned by the Britten group that has several businesses from Beacon and south for 1/2 mile or better. They are not vanishing anytime soon. Also, good to hear from you MIGN-Todd!

MIGN-Todd
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MIGN-Todd »

Howdy. -Stayed away for a bit due to a troll infestation. It's a really cool shop there and their finished products are pretty cool. Due to probably do another drop there soon, will try and grab a pic or two.
U.S.Army Retired- under new management (see wife)

DLM
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DLM »

I can see empty 20' and 40' containers coming in on standard 89' flatcars depending on where they are purchased from. I do not expect to see finished containers shipping via rail due volume, damage potential (graffiti), and trucks being needed to deliver to the end users site. The only exception would be a central west coast distribution point that could unload the flatcars and transfer the containers to trucks. If they did go out via rail, I hope the pretty paint is hidden under a very durable shrink wrap.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

They might try it once, and then realize how expensive and slow railroads are. I don't see it working for a custom order company unless they have room to store lots of containers.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

1TrackMind wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm
They might try it once, and then realize how expensive and slow railroads are. I don't see it working for a custom order company unless they have room to store lots of containers.
Looking in the background of the picture, they seem to have room to store a lot of containers.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

They have acres of room, all newly graded for said purpose.

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Okay, TC Man. But what you are failing to understand is that this board is full of people who would curl up and die if they could not give you a negative take on every single piece of news posted, here. :P

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

MIGN-Todd wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:46 pm
Howdy. -Stayed away for a bit due to a troll infestation. It's a really cool shop there and their finished products are pretty cool. Due to probably do another drop there soon, will try and grab a pic or two.
Those are quality products they are building. A company I worked for had one of their large container bars. Really cool piece of equipment and always positive that it’s Michigan biz.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

MiddleMI wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:51 pm
Okay, TC Man. But what you are failing to understand is that this board is full of people who would curl up and die if they could not give you a negative take on every single piece of news posted, here. :P
Don't forget those who can't / won't open their eyes to see the whole picture, such as the stack of containers in the background.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

DLM wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm
I can see empty 20' and 40' containers coming in on standard 89' flatcars depending on where they are purchased from. I do not expect to see finished containers shipping via rail due volume, damage potential (graffiti), and trucks being needed to deliver to the end users site. The only exception would be a central west coast distribution point that could unload the flatcars and transfer the containers to trucks. If they did go out via rail, I hope the pretty paint is hidden under a very durable shrink wrap.
Agreed, outbound product has much different concerns than the imbound containers would.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

chapmaja wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 pm
MiddleMI wrote:
Don't forget those who can't / won't open their eyes to see the whole picture, such as the stack of containers in the background.
What good is a discussion forum without discussion?

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

DaveO wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 pm
chapmaja wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:19 pm
MiddleMI wrote:
What good is a discussion forum without discussion?
Totally notice the negative comments, though constructive criticism is healthy as long as all parties are willing to see the potential big picture that they may not previously be aware of. With this situation, being that I live here and am familiar with thr aspirations, track record, and dedication that Britten family puts into their operations, I have no doubt they will thrive in this expansion. And while I am hesitate to forsee shipping finished container products via rail (especially if not wrapped really well as someone mentioned previously for graffiti), I can see them easily bringing in raw containers. With bringing in backstock, slower service is not an issue. I can see bringing in loads of plywood (for example) also.

So I'm thinking- they would not go to the cost of a new siding (first totally new siding in TC probably in half a century not counting the extension at what is now Beacon) on a dream. So let's all regroup here same time next year and see how this plays out. I'd imagine they get using rail this summer yet, and by next March, we'll see if they are still using rail.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

All this siding will be for is a transload that is taking some of the business away from Amerhart in Williamsburg. Apparently some former Amerhart guys are trying to stick it to them and get their product unloaded here instead of buying it from the competition.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Seems like there are other options than spending the money it takes to build a brand new spur just to stick it to their former employer
MQT1223 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:41 pm
All this siding will be for is a transload that is taking some of the business away from Amerhart in Williamsburg. Apparently some former Amerhart guys are trying to stick it to them and get their product unloaded here instead of buying it from the competition.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...