New Buffalo MI Railfanning Action

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

New Buffalo MI Railfanning Action

Unread post by RoyalKingoftheRails »

I'm doing a trip to New Buffalo MI within the next few weeks, how much action does CSX and the Amtrak Michigan Line (NS Locals) get? I know not all of the CSX trains on the GR Sub run that far south, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can expect. If someone could help me out that would be awesome.

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New Buffalo MI Railfanning Action

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

RoyalKingoftheRails wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:11 pm
I'm doing a trip to New Buffalo MI within the next few weeks, how much action does CSX and the Amtrak Michigan Line (NS Locals) get? I know not all of the CSX trains on the GR Sub run that far south, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can expect. If someone could help me out that would be awesome.
Well James, you have CSX M326 and M327 that run but they dont stick to a daily schedule so you'll have to figure out a day they both run. Usually CSX run's 2 coal drags through there a day. Amtrak 370 and 371 also travel down the CSX. (370 is mornings and 371 is nights) for AML wise you have one NS local (B05 I belive) he dosent run a daily schedule he only runs a couple days a week but heads north and back south after the trip up there. The AML also see's 8 Amtrak trains per day. You cant view all the action in one spot but the CSX has a really good spot with an old coal tower the tracks pass under (I belive its a coal tower) New Buffalo usually see's 12-16 trains a day just depends.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:19 pm
Well James, you have CSX M326 and M327 that run but they dont stick to a daily schedule so you'll have to figure out a day they both run. Usually CSX run's 2 coal drags through there a day. Amtrak 370 and 371 also travel down the CSX. (370 is mornings and 371 is nights) for AML wise you have one NS local (B05 I belive) he dosent run a daily schedule he only runs a couple days a week but heads north and back south after the trip up there. The AML also see's 8 Amtrak trains per day. You cant view all the action in one spot but the CSX has a really good spot with an old coal tower the tracks pass under (I belive its a coal tower) New Buffalo usually see's 12-16 trains a day just depends.
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

371 is in the morning. 370 is at night.

The Grand Rapids subdivision does NOT see 12-16 trains a day.

326/327’s schedules are posted regularly here, so you won’t have to figure out when they run.

Please get better sources.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

bluewonderrails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluewonderrails »

https://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 64#p540864

^ original post citing M326 + M327's new operating schedules. For a quickie here, same-day travels for both are Sundays, Mondays, and Thursdays

L301 still Monday-Friday mid-late afternoons. Varies how long they could work before returning to GR. I don't know much on general time frames if there could be such a thing

On whims, could see a loaded and/or empty coal. Best for sure to keep up on CSX updates thread for those should luck of the day favor you

Amtrak's Pere Marquette (P370 + P371) only 'pass through' New Buffalo on separate tracks, as the tracks to the station there are for the Blue Water (P364 + P365) and Wolverine (P350, P352, P354 + P351, P353, P355). I'm not 100% certain if all 6 movements occur. Probably/possibly after you'd already be there (depending when you decide), I do know is the early part of May, 350 + 353 will be reduced to weekends only for track work > https://www.mlive.com/news/2024/03/amtr ... rades.html
Casual railfan who frequents the CN Flint + CSX Plymouth subs

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

You will not see L301 at New Buffalo, as they only go as far as Sawyer.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

David Collins wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:17 pm
NickThatRailfan wrote:
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

He only swapped 370/371 around, big whoop. He's quoting 12-16 trains total for all of New Buffalo, not for just the CSX.

Please read for comprehension before jumping on people.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Saturnalia wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:49 pm
David Collins wrote:
NickThatRailfan wrote:

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

He only swapped 370/371 around, big whoop. He's quoting 12-16 trains total for all of New Buffalo, not for just the CSX.

Oh crap, my mistake. I read his 12-16 trains a day comment as 12-16 trains under that coaling tower a day.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

bluewonderrails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluewonderrails »

SD80MAC wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:40 pm
You will not see L301 at New Buffalo, as they only go as far as Sawyer.
Thank you for the info. Thought Sawyer was further than that for whatever reason
Casual railfan who frequents the CN Flint + CSX Plymouth subs

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

Saturnalia wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:49 pm
David Collins wrote:
NickThatRailfan wrote:

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Thanks lol, I was wondering what he did that for. Does everything I say look correct? 12-16 may be a little much but I think thats about correct from everything I have seen.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Well, go down the list:

On CSX, you'd have...
P370
P371
M326 (on days it runs)
M327 (on days it runs)
C800/801 (random)
E800/801 (random)

On Amtrak...
B05 (on days it runs)
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RoyalKingoftheRails »

Thanks for all the help everyone. I did do some research before I posted this and I figured pretty of what you guys said would be what my initial thought was. So thank you to everyone that helped me confirm what does run. I look forward to checking out the location.