What is this track?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
PrairieKnight
Railroadfan...fan

What is this track?

Unread post by PrairieKnight »

My son and I noticed this track located south of S. Williams Street in Decatur, Michigan. This photo is looking southwest of S. Williams Street. In this photo the mainline is on the left. The track in question is the siding on the right. At first we thought it was the start of a new switch being installed. But it does not look like a switch. What is this track and what is it's purpose?
Attachments
Decatur.JPG

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Re: What is this track?

Unread post by Jetlink »

It is most likely a split rail de-railer. It's purpose to put rolling stock on the ground rather than on the mainline in the event the stock is running away or otherwise moving with out proper track authority. It is more effective than other styles of de-rail devices that just sit on top of the rail head in the shape of a wedge.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

PrairieKnight
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PrairieKnight »

Interesting. I would have never guessed that. Your explanation does make sense. The mainline is primarily used by Amtrak .... while the siding is for a grain facility that is serviced by NS. Thank you Jetlink.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

That’s exactly what it is, a split rail derail.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

SD80MAC wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:59 am
That’s exactly what it is, a split rail derail.
I’ll be a bit of a track snob and point out that this is usually referred to as a “switch point derail” since it has both points like a regular switch. That contrasts with a “split rail derail” which only has the switch point on one side.

The full switch point derails are more effective at getting equipment headed away from whatever you’re protecting, but they’re ultimately both very effective at putting equipment on the ground. They can be both hand thrown and mechanized into the signal system.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow