Gradient Chart/Track Profile for CSX Plymouth Sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
amessmann
Signal Maintainer

Gradient Chart/Track Profile for CSX Plymouth Sub

Unread post by amessmann »

Wondering if anyone has an official gradient chart for the Plymouth Sub. I had seen people mention their charts however scouring the Internet, I have not been able to find any official documentation. If someone has the track profile for CSX's entire Michigan trackage that would be even better. Thank you as always.

amessmann
Signal Maintainer

Re: Gradient Chart/Track Profile for CSX Plymouth Sub

Update, I have found a gradient charts in an old timetable I had picked up at a train show. For the Plymouth Sub and the rest of CSX's trackage in Michigan.
Conveniently for you folks in West Michigan, the Grand Rapids Subdivision is on the same page but labeled as the Chicago SD. This timetable was effective 09/01/1984.
Attachments
59CA9F5E-DC35-4A01-9A04-A9D5E39FD650.jpeg

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

There you have it. The ruling eastbound grades are Fox (1%), Thornapple (.99%), and Ann Pere (1.2%). Westbound are Salem (.95%), Lake Odessa (1.8%), and Thornapple (.89%).
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Kind of wish it showed elevations along the points.

So just east of Ann Pere is the highest elevation?

amessmann
Signal Maintainer

MiddleMI wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 4:05 am
Kind of wish it showed elevations along the points.
So just east of Ann Pere is the highest elevation?
Yeah, the layout of the graph isn't exactly optimal in those regards. It looks like you are correct though, the highest elevation (which I've heard called Canwell Summit) occurs just east of Ann Pere.
The timetable says the summit exists east of the signals at CH 51, however according to other topographic maps it seems the summit sits just west of them, that is also where grain trains have the most trouble getting up the hill. I suppose it doesn't matter much once you squeeze a 150 mile line down to a few inches on paper.
In addition, it looks like the elevation axis on the right side is listed as relative to CH 0 as opposed to sea level, as the summit elevation is around 1000' above sea level, not 400'.