CN says goodbye to Baraga

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

CN says goodbye to Baraga

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Sounds like CN is pulling the plug on the mothballed section of railroad between L’Anse and Baraga. Per a post on the YooperRails group on Facebook the town was notified last month.

How long has it been since anything even went to Baraga? 10-15 years maybe? Wondered why the line wasn’t offered to Watco like everything else.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: CN says goodbye to Baraga

Unread post by Saturnalia »

MQT1223 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:15 pm
Sounds like CN is pulling the plug on the mothballed section of railroad between L’Anse and Baraga. Per a post on the YooperRails group on Facebook the town was notified last month.

How long has it been since anything even went to Baraga? 10-15 years maybe? Wondered why the line wasn’t offered to Watco like everything else.
Until around 2014/15 or so, the L'Anse train overnighted at Baraga. Since then, I do not think they have been past L'Anse.

No filings with the STB yet.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

maybe because cn kept the line to l'anse?
and it wouldn't be profitable for someone to operate an isolated section of a couple miles of unused track?
no filing to abandon has been filed with the stb.
wisconsin central had filed and received discontinuance of service.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

DaveO wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:46 pm
and it wouldn't be profitable for someone to operate an isolated section of a couple miles of unused track?
Correct, they can just take the line out of service. That actually has been the status quo for years. So I'm not sure why any notification to the City would be made now, unless perhaps an advanced warning of intent to abandon. But who knows, we don't have anything concrete here to begin with.

Erroneous Monk
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Erroneous Monk »

DaveO wrote:
CN was able to pawn the White Pine branch off as part of that package deal and there really doesn't seem to be much hope in that line's future

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

The filing is coming. About 4 miles of track.

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

GP30M4216 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:08 pm
Well that doesn’t leave railfans much time to form a nonprofit corporation to purchase the line and start a tourist/museum operation. GP30M4216 I expect you to take the lead on this and make things happen. 😉

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

DaveO wrote:
I was referring to the whole line
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Mike H is in charge of finding transload business :)
GRHC wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:18 pm
GP30M4216 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:08 pm
Well that doesn’t leave railfans much time to form a nonprofit corporation to purchase the line and start a tourist/museum operation. GP30M4216 I expect you to take the lead on this and make things happen. 😉
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

When was the last time Baraga actually had a rail served customer? I have always wondered about that.

By the way, go get ‘em Mike H (regarding transload opportunities - if anyone can, it’s Mike H!!)

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

MQT1223 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:02 am
DaveO wrote:
Maybe cuz they wanted to keep the line

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

David Lang wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:50 am
When was the last time Baraga actually had a rail served customer? I have always wondered about that.

By the way, go get ‘em Mike H (regarding transload opportunities - if anyone can, it’s Mike H!!)
I believe the last customer was Beese which loaded pulpwood behind the now closed Terex Handlers plant near the end of the line. I believe this ceased around 2009/2010.

Here is a 2007 video of a CN train actually crossing N Superior Avenue at the very end of the line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V846R8xvxaE

CertainTeed, Convergen Energy/L'Anse Warden Electric (burns railroad ties), and Koppers are still major customers in L'Anse.

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Is Terex the old Pettibone plant? And in L'anse, they still have Celotex, correct?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Yes and yes. Also, the cogeneration plant in L’Anse receives used railroad ties and might be the second largest customer after the mine in Humboldt.
joeyuboats wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:47 pm
Is Terex the old Pettibone plant? And in L'anse, they still have Celotex, correct?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

THANK YOU!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

From ground level it can be difficult to tell which gondolas are bringing in used railroad ties and which ones are empties for new tie loading. Maybe they use the same ones.

Nancy Haun frequently posts videos on YouTube of the twice a week CN local into L’Anse.
NS3322 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:22 pm
CertainTeed, Convergen Energy/L'Anse Warden Electric (burns railroad ties), and Koppers are still major customers in L'Anse.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

kd_1014 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:26 am
MQT1223 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:02 am
DaveO wrote:
Maybe cuz they wanted to keep the line
Sure didn't seem like they wanted anything else up there!

Mike H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mike H »

David Lang wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:50 am

You & AARR are too kind to me. There is definitely some potential business in Baraga. I’ve identified about 400 cars of potential business, but I think it could be as big as 600 cars. It’s definitely enough to justify saving the line & CN is aware of this. I still have a lot of hope that the line will be saved.

Mike H

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Just like I said...the amazing Mike H!!

Of course we realize the word "potential" is being used here, but let's hope the new business materializes and CN buys in.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Part of the problem is that CN will want higher margins, greater volume, and consistency than a shortline would typically tolerate. There was a study undertaken awhile back about pulpwood transportation around the UP and northern Wisconsin and the team found little rhyme or reason to the freight rail rates, largely from CN. They ultimately wanted volume, consistency and margin. There’s a reason most of the lesser pulpwood sidings have stopped shipping.