C&M Running Freight

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: C&M Running Freight

Unread post by SD80MAC »

At one time there was a business in Marne that got plastic pellet hoppers. CPMY served it at least a few times. It burned to the ground in the early 2000s and wasn't rebuilt. There was also a lumber yard in Marne served via the runaround, but I'm not sure if they ever got cars under CPMY ownership. Meijer DC in Walker got cars until around 2007-2008, but that was served under contract by Grand Rapids Eastern.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

SD80MAC wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:03 am
At one time there was a business in Marne that got plastic pellet hoppers. CPMY served it at least a few times. It burned to the ground in the early 2000s and wasn't rebuilt. There was also a lumber yard in Marne served via the runaround, but I'm not sure if they ever got cars under CPMY ownership. Meijer DC in Walker got cars until around 2007-2008, but that was served under contract by Grand Rapids Eastern.
Interesting that Meijer was getting cars. When I worked for the company, 2003-2005 I was told they didn't get rail service at any of the locations, but given who told me I'm not shocked as he wasn't the brightest bulb on the Chistmas Tree so to speak (which explains why he was a manager)

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

chapmaja wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:59 am
SD80MAC wrote:
Interesting that Meijer was getting cars. When I worked for the company, 2003-2005 I was told they didn't get rail service at any of the locations, but given who told me I'm not shocked as he wasn't the brightest bulb on the Chistmas Tree so to speak (which explains why he was a manager)
They were leasing out the warehouse to Van's Distribution. Rail service ended when Van's built a spur to their own facility a few miles away on the MQT in Walker.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

My notes, which I think I got from Raildude’s Dad, show that Meijer was leasing space to Van’s Logistics receiving 450 cars a year of lumber, Blendo (I may have this name wrong) received 6-8 cars a year in Marne of fertilizer and a small lumber yard in Marne received a load of lumber in the early 2000’s after no rail service for 20 years and didn’t receive rail service afterwards.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

SD80MAC wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:13 pm
chapmaja wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:59 am
SD80MAC wrote:
They were leasing out the warehouse to Van's Distribution. Rail service ended when Van's built a spur to their own facility a few miles away on the MQT in Walker.
That would make since, I think I recall that now. Not that it changes anything about my boss :>

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

There was also a spur on the east side of Fruitridge Ave. I don't remember what it served, but it was long out of service. I believe it was completely removed when the bike trail went in. St Marys Cement (current interchange between C&M and GRE) recieved cars at one point.

The track arrangement at Meijer was odd. There still is a long run around. I believe the track from the west ran all the way through Meijer and reconnected into the east end of the run around track. There were derails that were electrically interlocked with the overhead doors on the building.

The west end of this track had a diamond with a track crossing NW to another warehouse. All the switches are still in place. The diamond is still in the weeds.

There was also a spur heading east into Bissel. You can still see part of the grade and the longer switch ties.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Here is a crappy drawing of Meijer yard, back in the day.
Attachments
20240124_212342.jpg

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Klein Fertilizer was the customer in Marne. 100 tons in a hopper was turned into 45-50 lb bags. No automation - an employee filled a bag and then ran the sewing machine across the top and placed it on a pallet. When Klein closed down Blenco was going to use the plant to bag golf course blend fertilizer. I don't remember them bagging anything before the plant burned to the ground. Klein shifted everything to their facility in Grant on the MQT.
Werner-Lehera was the plant on the NE quadrant of Fruit Ridge. They made baking equipment. They hadn't used rail in many years. Irwin Seating had a spur at one time. It had been gone for many years. Various plant additions have removed evidence of the siding.
The Meijers warehouse was their primary distribution center. As they grew the Lansing DC became the primary DC. A long time employee told me the Walker DC is devoted to heath and beauty aids. Today there's lots of intermodal trailers in and out. The same employee told me back in the day when Meijers was selling firearms, employee(s) would secure rifles under a car and retrieve them when the car was pulled from the warehouse. Fact or fiction - I don't know. :?:

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Raildudes dad wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:52 pm
Klein Fertilizer was the customer in Marne. 100 tons in a hopper was turned into 45-50 lb bags. No automation - an employee filled a bag and then ran the sewing machine across the top and placed it on a pallet. When Klein closed down Blenco was going to use the plant to bag golf course blend fertilizer. I don't remember them bagging anything before the plant burned to the ground. Klein shifted everything to their facility in Grant on the MQT.
I have corresponded with the CMPY And was told that Klein last received rail cars approximately 33 years ago and that the Central Michigan handled the car movements.

Edit: Raildudes dad has informed me in a P.M. that this information is partially incorrect and that the Central Michigan was not the last railroad to handle car movements for Klein.