Carleton, MI

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Carleton, MI

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

So I would like to go to Carleton over the winter I have made a list of symbols but not sure if there correct let me know if anything is wrong and what to expect qnd also who owns the single track line through there (I do know CN does run 1 train on it) but here are my symbols (I did not include as needed)
CSX B522
CSX B523
NS D458??
CSX I131
CSX I132
CSX I150
CSX I151
CSX M510
CSX M511
CSX M567
CSX M568
CSX M209
CSX M215
CSX M216
CN L585-61

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Carleton, MI

Unread post by redside20 »

Well to start off the bat, you can cross that cn train off your list because it hasnt run through carlton in about three years
Exit stage left

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

redside20 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:40 pm
Well to start off the bat, you can cross that cn train off your list because it hasnt run through carlton in about three years
Okay D458 is the only one im questioning ive looked up all the other ones and theyve ran within the past couple months and that single track line is the IORY not sure how many they see a day though

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Ok that one cn train train mentioned earlier was actually an ns train. that cn . L585 is now terminating at melvindale yard on ns, however there is still cn trains that terminate/originate at flat rock, that go to/come from other points on the cn system. Now for the iOry, i do not know of this d458 and the iory is pretty much the lone ranger between and the only game in town between flat rock and diann, metamora delta and beyond and they are at the mercy of cn who release them whenever cn see fit out of fr. its said that the iory has a tues through thurs schedule but who knows these days
Exit stage left

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

If IORY is going into Flat Rock, they typically reach the yard about 10am and depart sometime in the afternoon. I’ve seen them leave as late as 5pm. Haven’t been able to nail down a schedule so I would guess it’s an as needed thing.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I’ve often seen reports of the IORY coming up to Flat Rock on Saturdays. Not sure what their weekday schedule looks like.

Otherwise, your CSX symbols look pretty decent. This time of year, it’s also possible you might get an oddball grain train on the CSX side, too. Also, does the L314 Wixom-Walbridge LSRC interchange turn still run?

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I&O usually goes to Flat Rock twice a week, three times if there are enough cars. There are no set days. CN does not run any traffic between Flat Rock and Diann.
Bottom text.

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Im just worried about how many trains Carleton sees in a 24 hour period
and also on my symbols list I have a train listed as NS D458 that was a typo I meant to put CSX D458
Last edited by NickThatRailfan on Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

You’re not going to see many.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

jggilmore7
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jggilmore7 »

SD80MAC wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:47 pm
Yeah, not like the halcyon days of the mid- to late-70s. At least 14-16 on the DT&I, 20-25 on the Chessie and then there was a period (maybe a year or so) when the newly-formed CR ran all their Detroit Line northbounds through Carleton to the ex-Pennsy when they totally rebuilt the NB mainline from Toledo and did other trackwork, usually 10-15 a day. Like they say, those were the days my friend...

JG

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

SD80MAC wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:47 pm
And the majority of the ones you do see won’t be super interesting. It’s a lot of auto racks and intermodal on CSX.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

We did a fairly big waterman job over the winter and Summer up the road in Waltz not too long ago. Afternoons were the busiest. If you want good food, the Chinese place in Carleton is top notch, as well as the pizza place by the tracks. Hollywood Party store in Waltz is top notch for snacks and Subs.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

RoyalKingoftheRails
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RoyalKingoftheRails »

Nick, I’ve even messaged you about Carleton and the Saginaw Sub/Toledo Terminal many times. But for your reference and everyone else’s, here’s a list of active symbols. (Not including any as needed trains)

Note: for I131 and I132, they mostly use the Lincoln Secondary, however they do tend to run on the Saginaw Sub sometimes. (Depends if they have mixed freight along with their Intermodals and etc.)

Note for CN: CN does not run any of their freight trains on the Flat Rock Sub south of the yard. Now I do wonder if they do run trains as needed every now and then. If someone could answer that, that would be great)

CSX
M209
M215
M510
M511
M567
M568
B522
B523
I131 (Often uses the Lincoln Secondary)
I132 (Mostly uses the Lincoln Secondary)
I150
I151
L313
L314

IORY
A401 (Northbound)
A400 (Southbound)

(Pretty sure that’s all of them)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Someone said above it has been three years since CN last operated train south of Flat Rock. I don't know if they still have the rights to do so if they wanted to.
RoyalKingoftheRails wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:26 pm
Note for CN: CN does not run any of their freight trains on the Flat Rock Sub south of the yard. Now I do wonder if they do run trains as needed every now and then. If someone could answer that, that would be great)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

AARR wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:58 pm
Someone said above it has been three years since CN last operated train south of Flat Rock. I don't know if they still have the rights to do so if they wanted to.
RoyalKingoftheRails wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:26 pm
I dont recall ever seeing an STB filing revoking the trackage rights over the AA. I think the CN still owns from Diann north as well. I don't think the sale included anything north of Diann. IORY was granted trackage rights north of Diann to Flat Rock.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Isn’t all of this stuff on the Wiki??? You’ve made several of these posts and I feel like your answers could be found on the wiki for the most part
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:33 pm
Are you still worried?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

J T wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:49 am
NickThatRailfan wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:33 pm
Are you still worried?

Nope, I have got my anwer.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

Good luck, Carleton is so incredibly dead that you’ll be looking at tracks and signals for hours.
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

David Collins wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:48 pm
Good luck, Carleton is so incredibly dead that you’ll be looking at tracks and signals for hours.
Definitely sounds like something he should be worried about.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.