Lake State Railway (Gaylord)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Lake State Railway (Gaylord)

Unread post by GP-35 »

Lake State Railway landed a very big deal with the big three, they're going to build a distribution terminal in Gaylord Mi. So look forward to seeing auto racks moving up north next year. Good score to Lake State sale's force!!!

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Lake States (Gaylord)

Unread post by J T »

Link?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

I try to react to news such as this with the desire to seek some evidence to substantiate the claim.

After said evidence is confirmed, it is then that I embrace the good news!

I do hope this is true, and if so, it is great news indeed.

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

CEO of the company talks about it briefly 11:20 into this interview.

https://dehayf5mhw1h7.cloudfront.net/wp ... ickoff.mp3

David Lang
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by David Lang »

Thanks for the link. It will be interesting to see how that new Gaylord auto facility develops.

Also Gypsum in the Towas area, South of Towas - there are 3 producers that will be contributing to the movement of Gypsum by rail, which will be used to make wallboard per Mr. Rickoff.

Good things coming in 2024 for Lake State Railroad!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

The gypsum traffic in the Tawas area is real. Stay tuned.
David Lang wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:49 pm
Thanks for the link. It will be interesting to see how that new Gaylord auto facility develops.

Also Gypsum in the Towas area, South of Towas - there are 3 producers that will be contributing to the movement of Gypsum by rail, which will be used to make wallboard per Mr. Rickoff.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

AARR wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:20 pm
The gypsum traffic in the Tawas area is real. Stay tuned.
David Lang wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:49 pm

Hearing significant amounts of carload traffic with regards to the gypsum traffic

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

okay here is the link to wphm where the podcast resides: https://www.wphm.net/episode/november-7-john-rickoff/

but i'm interested in knowing some more details.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Sorry I doubted you GP35 but I’m skeptical about its success 🤨
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom Train »

Nothing in the twice-weekly newspaper yet. Some grading is going on adjacent to the Gaylord transload site .

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Tom Train wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:29 pm
Nothing in the twice-weekly newspaper yet. Some grading is going on adjacent to the Gaylord transload site .
Where in Gaylord is the transload site at?

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Lake State Railway (Gaylord)

Unread post by redside20 »

Right by Millbocker Road where the site of a Georgia pacific plant was closed and demolished long ago.
Exit stage left

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

redside20 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:30 am

Right by Millbocker Road where the site of a Georgia pacific plant was closed and demolished long ago.
Ahh ok, thanks!

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

I guess you don't read the chat and I should have posted this here also:
"@ DaveO « Thu 4:19:45 pm »my apologies to gp-35 who was right about the story."

How that moderating had anything to do with politics does escape me though.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

who are the current customers in Gaylord. Looking at Google Maps, Builder's First Source is located on a spur just south of the end of the tracks on the north side of town. In town is Northern Energy. What is the place on McCoy Rd. Looks like another energy dealer. South of town, on the branch I see Tri-State, and A&L. Was the old GP plant (new transload site), alongside Dickerson Rd where the tracks still exist, but are disconnected from the A&L Branch?

Moving down to Grayling, is the loop track the track the national guard uses for military movements? Also in Grayling, does Alro still get service (doesn't look like it), and what used to be located south of M72 just west of I75. Also, what is the place with the siding basically across from Alro? Then, what is the customer just south of Alro?

what is AJD Forest Products, and do they actually get service from on the main. In the Google image, there is a single gondola with what appears to be ties in it, on the main. South of there you have Bakelite, SRM Concrete and Weyerhauser, with a Lake State pair of locomotives in the yard. Traffic looks to be pretty decent, with a good number of cars in the "yard" south of Grayling.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Northern Energy, Tri-State, Kiros Energy, Potlach transload and A&L.
chapmaja wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:30 pm
who are the current customers in Gaylord.

Blaze06
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Blaze06 »

Very nice! Glad to see LSRC creating new business like always! Hopefully this means more locomotives will be bought in case of a traffic increase!
Here’s my channel! Take a look if you want! 8)
https://youtube.com/channel/UCu8Qs-E8QInEwg-Po4zXLmQ

And just for the hell of it my Flickr page!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/197054142@N06/

GP-35
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP-35 »

Thank you Dave O, Im sorry for getting mad at you.

Struggen
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Struggen »

DaveO wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:15 pm
okay here is the link to wphm where the podcast resides: https://www.wphm.net/episode/november-7-john-rickoff/

but i'm interested in knowing some more details.
Thanks for sharing the link! It'll be one year on the 18th when Dunn paper shut down in Port Huron so it's sad they don't have anything new for that area but it was great hearing about other new opportunities they have. Interesting to hear about the new Gypsum activity and how one door closes and another one opens.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

LSRC built a pair of long unloading tracks inside the loop for National Guard equipment unloading/reloading. They get unit trains perhaps a few times per year.

Alro doesn't get service.

Stella Jones, Bakelite, Weyerhaeuser and SRM are all steady customers.

AJD and Hydrolake don't appear to ship by rail much if at all.

AURACO is the big shipper in that area. They shuttle tank cars from Bakelite and ship out product daily in bulkhead flat cars and 60" hicube box cars.

I think the Wiki is pretty up to date: https://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/ ... te_Railway
chapmaja wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:30 pm
Moving down to Grayling, is the loop track the track the national guard uses for military movements? Also in Grayling, does Alro still get service (doesn't look like it), and what used to be located south of M72 just west of I75. Also, what is the place with the siding basically across from Alro? Then, what is the customer just south of Alro?

what is AJD Forest Products, and do they actually get service from on the main. In the Google image, there is a single gondola with what appears to be ties in it, on the main. South of there you have Bakelite, SRM Concrete and Weyerhauser, with a Lake State pair of locomotives in the yard. Traffic looks to be pretty decent, with a good number of cars in the "yard" south of Grayling.