Snow Yard in Lansing, MI

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Snow Yard in Lansing, MI

Unread post by NickThatRailfan »

I have heard rumors that CN wants to make Snow Yard bigger in Lansing so it can be used for Autorack trains amd intermodal trains (possibly mixed freights also) I wanna know if this "rumor" about making Snow Yard bigger true

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Snow Yard in Lansing, MI

Unread post by NS3322 »

Why would they do that with both Battle Creek Yard and Bristol Yard (Flint) just down the line?

I believe Lansing currently just has the local crew for R933 switching 4-5 local industries (Citizens, Lansing Asphalt, Biewer, Land O'Lakes-Purina, UFP), the JAIL interchange, and the GM Delta Assembly plant at Cory Yard.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:26 pm
I have heard rumors that CN wants to make Snow Yard bigger in Lansing so it can be used for Autorack trains amd intermodal trains (possibly mixed freights also) I wanna know if this "rumor" about making Snow Yard bigger true
What is the source for the rumors you've heard?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

The only thing I could see as remotely possible is if they wanted to create an IM yard in Lansing. Other than this I don't see any reasonable reason to expand the yard (which means expansion work will start soon)

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

J T wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:36 am
NickThatRailfan wrote:
A buddy who lives on the CN and knows some CN and some of the crew members who work the NS local in Battle Creek

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:31 pm
J T wrote:
NickThatRailfan wrote:
A buddy who lives on the CN and knows some CN and some of the crew members who work the NS local in Battle Creek
[Insert "Source: Trust Me Bro" Meme]

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Last edited by PatAzo on Sun Nov 05, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

There’s tons of unused space in Flat Rock right now. That might make more sense than Lansing.

ogauge47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ogauge47 »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:31 pm
J T wrote:
NickThatRailfan wrote:
Perfect, second and third-hand information has historically been proven to be exceptionally reliable...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Does CN actually run anything out of Snow Yard anymore? I know it is used for storage of coal cars, and some autoracks, but that's all I have seen it used for in years. The locals that serve the customers around the yard are not based out of Snow (Isn't R33 based out of Cory Yard now).

Other than car storage / coal train use is for an additional track as needed when switching the customers based out of snow.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

chapmaja wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:43 am
Does CN actually run anything out of Snow Yard anymore? I know it is used for storage of coal cars, and some autoracks, but that's all I have seen it used for in years. The locals that serve the customers around the yard are not based out of Snow (Isn't R33 based out of Cory Yard now).

Other than car storage / coal train use is for an additional track as needed when switching the customers based out of snow.
No more coal trains, Erickson Plant closed on 11/27/22 and Eckert in Dec. 2020.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Of the topic a bit but what happened to LBWL 796 SW900 and LBWL 4910 GP9?

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Fluffy White pieces of Death Yard in Lansing, MI

chapmaja wrote:
Does CN actually run anything out of Fluffy White pieces of Death Yard anymore? I know it is used for storage of coal cars, and some autoracks, but that's all I have seen it used for in years. The locals that serve the customers around the yard are not based out of Fluffy White pieces of Death (Isn't R33 based out of Cory Yard now).

Other than car storage / coal train use is for an additional track as needed when switching the customers based out of Fluffy White pieces of Death.
Theres still 1 train that terminates in Snow Yard its E270-91

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

NickThatRailfan wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:02 pm
chapmaja wrote:
Does CN actually run anything out of Fluffy White pieces of Death Yard anymore? I know it is used for storage of coal cars, and some autoracks, but that's all I have seen it used for in years. The locals that serve the customers around the yard are not based out of Fluffy White pieces of Death (Isn't R33 based out of Cory Yard now).

Other than car storage / coal train use is for an additional track as needed when switching the customers based out of Fluffy White pieces of Death.
Theres still 1 train that terminates in Fluffy White pieces of Death Yard its E270-91
You also have one local that originates out of there and L500 works it as well.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:09 pm
NickThatRailfan wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:02 pm
chapmaja wrote:

Theres still 1 train that terminates in Fluffy White pieces of Death Yard its E270-91
You also have one local that originates out of there and L500 works it as well.
Correct

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

So R933 originates out of Snow Yard and E270-91 terminates in Snow Yard. R933 appears to be listed as a daily, but E270-91 is listed as an as needed train. How often is E270-91 operated vs the cars being picked up via L500?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Lol the filter has really done a number on trying to read this thread!!!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

R934 is the Lansing local symbol. It’s on M-Sat. If it works Sunday, it’s run as an L542 out of BC

L500 and L501 work Lansing. L500 brings the Lansing local customer freight cars from BC and picks up any loaded racks that need to go to Canada or to CSX via CN Lang Yard in Toledo.

Approximately 50% of the time we get an E270 out of Chicago, it’s terminated in BC and the racks go onto L500. The other 50% of the time, the train will usually run back as L542 to BC.

There’s no sense in adding an additional intermodal yard besides Moterm. All block switching for Durand-Flint-PH-Pontiac-Flat Rock-Toledo has been shifted to Flint from BC. Flint is centrally located and also with the yard being on a slight incline, it’s easier to kick cars.

BC is used primarily to assemble WB trains to Chicago.

M301 sets off in BC and picks up.
A491 sets off in BC and picks up.
E27161, M39361, E25361 originate in BC
A492 works BC but does not set their block of Flint cars off like they used to.
M302 sets off in BC, sometimes leaving their DPU too.

A492, M396 work Flint
Z148 and Q122 pickup in Flint
Z149 sets off and picks up in Flint

M399, M397, M394 bypass do not work in BC and Flint
Last edited by LansingRailFan on Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

chapmaja wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:37 pm
So R933 originates out of Fluffy White pieces of Death Yard and E270-91 terminates in Fluffy White pieces of Death Yard. R933 appears to be listed as a daily, but E270-91 is listed as an as needed train. How often is E270-91 operated vs the cars being picked up via L500?
I think R933 is based out of Cory Yard now and L500 orginates in Fluffy White pieces of Death Yard and works it to

NickThatRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

LansingRailFan wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:12 pm
R934 is the Lansing local symbol. It’s on M-Sat. If it works Sunday, it’s run as an L542 out of BC

L500 and L501 work Lansing. L500 brings the Lansing local customer freight cars from BC and picks up any loaded racks that need to go to Canada or to CSX via CN Lang Yard in Toledo.

Approximately 50% of the time we get an E270 out of Chicago, it’s terminated in BC and the racks go onto L500. The other 50% of the time, the train will usually run back as L542 to BC.

There’s no sense in adding an additional intermodal yard besides Moterm. All block switching for Durand-Flint-PH-Pontiac-Flat Rock-Toledo has been shifted to Flint from BC. Flint is centrally located and also with the yard being on a slight incline, it’s easier to kick cars.

BC is used primarily to assemble WB trains to Chicago.

M301 sets off in BC and picks up.
A491 sets off in BC and picks up.
E27161, M39361, E25361 originate in BC
A492 works BC but does not set their block of Flint cars off like they used to.
M302 sets off in BC, sometimes leaving their DPU too.

A492, M396 work Flint
Z148 and Q122 pickup in Flint
Z149 sets off and picks up in Flint

M399, M397, M394 bypass do not work in BC and Flint
True its just a rumor I had heard I didnt think they would actually expand it just people not actually doing there research