Howell Noticings

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Howell Noticings

Unread post by chapmaja »

Had to run to Howell today. Looked like CSX was working west of town when I drove across Highlander Way. Could see a covered hopper with a flag in the distance by the switch to the plant yard.

Returning through town, nothing on the passing siding visible from Livingston Feed and Seed either.

I did notice something interesting at the end of the paper plant spur. Bye tracks. The tracks from the loading dock area to almost the road have been removed and the spot covered with gravel. It also looks like the loading dock area was changed as there is now cement up to the height of a trailers rear gate where the tracks used to enter the building.

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Re: Howell Noticings

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

chapmaja wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:40 pm
Had to run to Howell today. I did notice something interesting at the end of the paper plant spur. Bye tracks. The tracks from the loading dock area to almost the road have been removed and the spot covered with gravel. It also looks like the loading dock area was changed as there is now cement up to the height of a trailers rear gate where the tracks used to enter the building.
What a surprise to hear of this. Being only a short walking or biking distance from the house, but not being out that way in months since I no longer check out the Ogihara plant to see how many cars at at the plant, I did walk out there on Monday to the former International Paper plant to see for myself. I have no idea how long ago this was done. Since I.P. left, the building has been divided into three sections. The most eastern side where the rail spur is, or was, and which was disconnected from the main line several years ago, has been leased out to non-other than Thai Summit themselves. When I first saw this, the light bulb went on to what an opportunity to use rail service for auto parts loading again, like they did prior for a while at their scrap loading facility. Well, that sure is out the window and a thing of the past for sure now.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Howell Noticings

Unread post by Chip »

BL2-1843 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:04 am
The most eastern side where the rail spur is, or was, and which was disconnected from the main line several years ago, has been leased out to non-other than Thai Summit themselves. When I first saw this, the light bulb went on to what an opportunity to use rail service for auto parts loading again, like they did prior for a while at their scrap loading facility. Well, that sure is out the window and a thing of the past for sure now.
Was always going to be a pipe dream. Very few auto parts are shipped via rail anymore. It’s mostly limited to truck frames and whatever is still in the rouge box cars that traverse the CN Dearborn line. Even here at Wayne the only thing we get via rail is truck frames. All the steel comes in on trucks, even the coils (which we don’t use a lot).