Newaygo Bridge Work

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Newaygo Bridge Work

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Last Friday I was southbound passing through Newaygo and when I glanced over at the MQT Rail bridge over the Muskegon River I was surprised to see lots of hard hats and activity, but not a train!

CR Construction, a rail contractor, was swapping about four out of every five bridge ties over the whole length of the bridge in this project. It’s 136lb Rail over the whole thing, in case anyone wondered. Pull a stick of rail, slide out the old ties, insert the new, put the rail down and spike it all back together, scoot ahead to the next segment of rail, start all over!

They’re also laying some new 136lb welded rail on the curve just south of the bridge. This is from Steel Dynamics in Indiana, one of three mills in the USA that rolls rail. It looks like some track work was also recently done for the MAC storage tracks. Nice to see the investment!
IMG_3519.JPG
IMG_3522.JPG
IMG_3521.JPG

J T
Hates Supper

Re: Newaygo Bridge Work

Unread post by J T »

You should post that first pic on FB with the caption something like: "Only a day after a sudden abandonment and they are already ripping up the rails through Newaygo." :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Re: Newaygo Bridge Work

Unread post by Jetlink »

J T wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:29 pm
You should post that first pic on FB with the caption something like: "Only a day after a sudden abandonment and they are already ripping up the rails through Newaygo." :D
Yes. With a link to the sawenhalve scrap facebook page.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline